PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Got the new front brakes installed, and new wheel bearings aswell. No more warped rotors!
    Otherwise things went smoothly, but I fought quite a bit trying to push the pistons back into the calipers.
    Also as I was turning the wheels with the car off, the PS pump got overfilled as it wasn't pumping stuff into the box, so it spat out a bunch of ATF through breather hole in the fill cap...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210829_142857.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	123.4 KB 
ID:	56903
    Shiny! But jeezus the rotors are insanely heavy, and packing and installing the bearings wasn't exactly fun (first time for me). Maybe if I'll have this car for long, I might consider the unit bearing upgrade from a newer panther.
    Interestingly I was able to tighten the axle nuts way too tight even by hand, without even a socket.
    Got them pretty well set and took a couple kilometer test run and they didn't heat up at all so it should be fine.
    While I was there, I also greased the ball joints and outer tie rods.

Still a couple cruise nights left for this season, probably taking the car to storage sometime in October.
    CFI is going in the bin when spring comes.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Another thing done that's kinda bugged me from the start; the peeling paint on the rear window trim. I picked up a can of matte white a while back.

The vinyl half top and rear trim were once Canyon Red, but have been painted white years ago. While the top is in okay-ish shape, the paint was peeling from the trim.
    Boy am I glad I took off the bottom window trim instead of masking it aswell. There was about 36 years of semi-decomposed crap and pollen in there. No rust though.
    After digging most of it out:

Name:	20210831_125706.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	56923

Before: (old pic on the left cuz planning n stuff)

Name:	20200417_184000.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	81.2 KB 
ID:	56921 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210831_140314.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	200.6 KB 
ID:	56922

After:

Name:	20210831_184519.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	86.3 KB 
ID:	56924 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210831_184407.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.1 KB 
ID:	56925
    Probably should've bought a natural white, but there wasn't any of that in the general store, and the pure white can was 3,99€.
    If the vinyl requires attention at some point, this thing's gonna get slicktopped. I don't mind a full vinyl top, but half tops are always kinda ugly. All or nothing.

fomoco panthers !

Are you going to reuse the plastic clips that hold on the trim, or get new ones ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Are you going to reuse the plastic clips that hold on the trim, or get new ones ?
    I was already missing a couple but I'll reuse the ones I have. I probably should find some replacements at some point. Generic most likely.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

its sort of an oddball but exact replacements can be had. Pretty sure the ones I bought were for a Mustang coupe, they use them to hold the lower rear glass trim in. My Continental also uses them and I think only 3 were still intact.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

fomoco panthers !

Ford part number is: E0AZ-5442413B 14 pieces to a pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Ford part number is: E0AZ-5442413B 14 pieces to a pack.
    Google doesn't find anything with that PN. I don't know if its the same on all boxes but the clips I had were like button heads that slid sideways on to the nubs on the car.

fomoco panthers !

I took the part number from the package of nos I have in stock. Yes they are round with a slot on the back.
    There are available through three sellers on Ebay right now. Prices are reasonable.
    Last edited by Mainemantom; 09-02-2021 at 09:29 PM.

Nice. Common part to degrade over time. Happened to my car too.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I've been thinking through the upcoming carb swap, and while the basics are pretty clear to me, I've been pondering on the two dozen little things; mostly electrical.
    So I've got a few questions I've been thinking on:

-I'd like to go with either the funky Duraspark/HEI combination setup or just a DSII setup (the bastard HEI setup seems easier and simpler though). So the switched power should probably just come from where?

-What stops working when I remove the engine harness completely? What ties into the engine harness?
    -Are the dash dummy lights a part of the engine harness or alternator harness?
    -How about fuel pump and it's relay?
    -AC surely is a part of the body harness?
    -Does the AC clutch have a WOT switch on CFI? Because it doesn't seem to act like it has one.

Most likely I'll need to run switched power:
    -Fuel pump relay
    -Coil (according to http://www.carbdford.com/tech/HEI/hei.htm the TFI coil should be fine, but the wiring is probably a part of the engine harness)
    -Cruise control?
    -AC relay?

If someone has the engine wiring diagram for CFI and maybe alternator harness diagram, those would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by Arquemann; 09-11-2021 at 02:55 PM.

I got a chance to drive a stock '84 Crown Vic wagon on Friday... Ended up parking it on a curb and crawling underneath it.
    The thing felt FAST compared to my sedan!

Factory CFI 302, nothing special in any way on the car, smog stuff intact and all. Slickside white wagon, kinda base spec. Since the owner didn't know, I had to crawl underneath the car to check the axle tag; and it said 3.08. JUST. LIKE. MINE.
    Ended up trying a 0-100kmh (62mph) run a couple times in my own car afterwards. Without brake boosting, I got a time of about 19-20 seconds...

So the pig-rich CFI is doing more than just ruining my fuel economy, who would've guessed...

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

'85 had slightly better heads than 84 did too. HP is up by 10 I think.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I snagged the first piece of the carb conversion puzzle.

There was an FHRA swap meet in Malmi today, and I managed to buy this thing. It's a Holley 80570, 570cfm Street Avenger, was taken off a well-running mopar 383 in August.
    Looks a bit scruffy being dirty and with the mismatched bowl, but it's actually a MY07 so it's pretty new. And I paid only 200€ for it, new these are about 600€ in Finland.
    It's a bit on the big side for a stock LoPo, but it should still offer good driveability when properly adjusted. And I won't be running out of carb too fast if I get bit by the go-fast bug. Headers, cam, maybe even heads?

Also bought a Mr Gasket phenolic spacer for 10€ from the swap meet. It's painted orange for whatever reason. There would've been an old used Edelbrock Performer for 200€ aswell, but I ran out of cash and those old farts never have a mobile pay system. TBH 200€ for it felt kinda high.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20210925_121344.jpg  

I think that carb will be perfect. Hopefully they didn't mess with it too much. I think 97% of people bolt it on and roll (including myself).
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I think that carb will be perfect. Hopefully they didn't mess with it too much. I think 97% of people bolt it on and roll (including myself).
    He said it was tuned for the mild-ish 383, but didn't mention anything about jetting. I'll of course check what jets are in it before and change them outright if deemed necessary.
    I've got a lot of studying to do, I don't know much about carbs.

Make sure to swap over the throttle lever for the proper geometry (or mod the one on the carb).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Very nice! Holleys are great because they can be very finely tuned. You made a good buy with that carb.

Have you picked out a 4bbl intake yet? If not Id look into the edelbrock performer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Make sure to swap over the throttle lever for the proper geometry (or mod the one on the carb).
    You mean the AOD TV-stuff? For that I'll be getting the Lokar cable with Sonnax AS4-04K corrector bracket and AS6-01 throttle and TV cable bracket. Simplest setup I can come up with, but a bit spendy. The Sonnax brackets can actually be bought through RockAuto, which is great for me. Cable and some other bits and bobs most likely coming via Summit.

Quote Originally Posted by matth825 View Post
    Have you picked out a 4bbl intake yet? If not Id look into the edelbrock performer.
    Not yet, the performer is somewhat common to find used here, so I'll most likely be getting one of those. Don't really want to roll the dice on a chinesium intake, even if they're cheap.
    There's a used performer RPM for sale aswell, but I fear that the stock air cleaner won't fit on the carb with the taller intake plus the phenolic spacer. But do correct me if I'm wrong in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    You mean the AOD TV-stuff? For that I'll be getting the Lokar cable with Sonnax AS4-04K corrector bracket and AS6-01 throttle and TV cable bracket. Simplest setup I can come up with, but a bit spendy. The Sonnax brackets can actually be bought through RockAuto, which is great for me. Cable and some other bits and bobs most likely coming via Summit.
    Nice.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Wouldn't have minded to make things work with the TV-rod, but in addition to having to bend it, the hardest part would be to figure out the ratio completely mirrored, as on the holley the bracket aod nub will pull instead of push as with the CFI.

Page 23 of 26 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast