No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If its slop in the joints of the wiper linkage I think you can fix that with the same kit they use for Mustangs.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/windshie...2004/p/HW1805/

if its the part where the wiper arm itself attaches thats cracked there isn't a part available for that. Someone on here drilled that whole thing apart and rebuilt it with JB Weld if I remember right.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      If its slop in the joints of the wiper linkage I think you can fix that with the same kit they use for Mustangs.

https://www.cjponyparts.com/windshie...2004/p/HW1805/

if its the part where the wiper arm itself attaches thats cracked there isn't a part available for that. Someone on here drilled that whole thing apart and rebuilt it with JB Weld if I remember right.
      The slop seems to be somewhere in the middle of the cowl area, the splined shaft and connections around it are pretty tight.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

that'll be the connector things then. The motor crank connects to a bar that ties into the bar between the two pivots roughly in the middle of the windshield.

Mine had problems in both the connector and the pivots were cracked so the whole spline part wobbled around. Basically every part of the linkage was f'd to the point that I had to drive with my hand out the window as a stop otherwise the wiper would jump off the glass. Couldn't index it further down or it would bind down at the bottom where I couldn't reach it. All that BS stopped when I replaced the transmission.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

-I was able to adjust the driver side wiper another notch down, it parks kinda far down, but probably won't break itself.
          -Got the old pulley removed from the tensioner & bearing, too bad my hammering fcked up inside lip some. The bearing is metric, to my surprise.
          -Bought #59 jets for the primaries and #58 jets for secondaries, I'll install them before friday's cruise night.

Also I filled the tank, 161 euros...

Comment

Metric bearings have been a standard for many decades. Inch bearings are actually pretty uncommon even on 'murica-made stuff from the days when only the dirty Commies did things in metric. My 1957 South Bend lathe uses them.

uses what, a 6202 ?

Comment

Metric bearings have been a standard for many decades. Inch bearings are actually pretty uncommon even on 'murica-made stuff from the days when only the dirty Commies did things in metric. My 1957 South Bend lathe uses them.

uses what, a 6202 ?
              It's a 6203. Dunno why I thought of imperial sized bearings, I guess the car is a mismatch of metric and imperial units so why not the bearings too.

Comment

New jets are in, we'll see how the mixtures settle now. Hopefully the cruise is close enough to call it good for real.
                Also cleaned up the vacuum lines to and from the charcoal canister. I've had the tank vent line just open now, but now it should breathe freely but via the canister.

I've got a full tank, but I don't feel like driving much at all. Regular E10 gas is at 2,5€/l or $10 per gallon...
                A basic cruise night is about 30-40 euros just in fuel.

Fuel prices, general melancholy and my new job getting me super exhausted mentally = me not having a particularly good time.
                I'm currently fixated on trying to figure out what the fuck I'm supposed to do at work and wanting a new daily driver.

Comment

Well, going from #61 to #59 main jets was a bit too much, low throttle cruising afr spends a bit too much time at 16.XX and at higher speeds it's kinda close to 16 afr aswell. I haven't experienced any negative effects of the lean mixture, but I want to play things safe(r). I got these afr readings at around 10°C, so it would richen up a little bit with warmer weather. I think I'll pop in some #60 jets in the primaries and call them good.

WOT is around 13,5 AFR, so I could probably richen it a bit aswell for "optimal performance". Maybe I'll replace the current #58's with the #59's which are currently in the primaries.

Idle is weird, speed and mixtures vary from time to time. Every intersection had a different afr, sometimes 13,5, sometimes 14, 14,5 or 15.

Comment

make sure the throttle is closing correctly. If the linkage is binding a little bit, sometimes it may be ever so slightly into the transfer slots and making it seem fat at idle.

Comment

It would seem that the lean running has some noticeable effects afterall. Yesterday I had 130 miles on the trip odo and the gas gauge still showed half a tank! Usually I'm seeing half a tank at around 100 miles on the odo.
                      Friday's cruise night included mostly highway driving around 50-65mph and yesterday was mostly puttin around town and backroads at 35-40mph.

Still, it's too lean to be absolutely safe, so I'll get another set of jets next week.

Comment

If you get the timing to advance more it does a better job of running on the lean side. Still have to ride the line between lean economy and lean damaging the engine.

Comment

If you get the timing to advance more it does a better job of running on the lean side. Still have to ride the line between lean economy and lean damaging the engine.
                          Yeah I've been reading more into running carbs lean, it's quite interesting. I've read about Chrysler's Lean-Burn and some more of other lean cruise systems. I believe the current mixtures I'm having are safe for the most part, but I need more time behind the wheel to make sure it's not too lean when it's under more load. Only issue I'm really having is the occasional lean surge at cruising speeds. I've got to pull a couple plugs some day here to check they're not getting burnt. Also I've read that lean burn isn't particularly good for 3-way catalytic converters.

I have no idea how much the stock Duraspark distributor advances at low RPM, but probably not too much to be worried about detonation, since pressing down my foot even slightly more gets the mixtures to safe levels immediately.
                          Getting a Holley Sniper or MPFI with full spark control and leaning out cruise would be an interesting experiment.
                          Still going to get the +1 main jets to hopefully get rid of the lean surge and keep the cruise afr from going too much above 16 AFR.

Also today I sent most of the CFI stuff over to Germany for @hillbillycat to enjoy.

Comment

if you're getting the surge, it needs at least a little more fuel.

The D-spark depends on which plate is in there. They all have 2 notches, and there are a couple different plates, so you'd have to take it apart and see which plate is installed and which way its installed. That just sets your advance limit. How soon it comes in is done with the springs.

Honestly thats one place the HEI distributor has it all over the Ford units. All that crap is right on top, easy to muck with. The Ford ones you have to take the whole thing off. Basically like filling a cavity through the rectum.

http://www.reincarnation-automotive....ons_index.html

Comment

Hmph...
                              The difference in AFR between #59 and #60 jets is much bigger than #60 and #61.
                              Cruising afr is now where it'll stay I think, not as lean anymore, pretty close to stoich, leans more to rich side on fluctuations.

Now what really bugs me is that 70kmh/45mph bucking at light throttle. It also does it at around 100kmh/62mph. So around the same RPM and throttle position?
                              It's bad and it's kinda undrivable when it starts bucking. Gotta let off the gas or press it more.
                              AFRs seem fine during the bucking. Could not enough timing cause that?

I've also come to the conclusion that the front cig lighter is super slow for phone charging, or my charger is just shit.
                              Last edited by Arquemann; 06-09-2022, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Check for vacuum leaks or fatten up the main jets and see if it goes away. If it goes away from the extra fat, I'd suspect what gadget was saying about the transfer from the idle circuit to the primaries. What vacuum point is your power valve set to open at? Because another thing you could check is to see if when you notice the surging, you also see fluctuation in manifold vacuum. Could be that it's dropping off, the power valve opens, fattens things up, vacuum picks up and then it closes, gets lean again and then the process repeats. My two dimes worth.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X