No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The instaclear cars had the 100 amp 1g alternator as standard. Non instaclear cars had either the 60 amp 1g or the 75 amp 2g depending on the year.

All three of those alternators have very weak idle output with the addition of the 2g being a fire hazard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't consider the idle output of my 60A 1G terribly weak, it's not great, but passable.
      With the stereo on, high beams dim only a little bit when idling. Though my alternator is a genuinely new unit.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by matth825 View Post
        The instaclear cars had the 100 amp 1g alternator as standard. Non instaclear cars had either the 60 amp 1g or the 75 amp 2g depending on the year.

All three of those alternators have very weak idle output with the addition of the 2g being a fire hazard.

Fire hazard due to the wonderful connector (not the voltage regulator but the top power one). Probably designed to disintegrate before blowing the alternator, I would assume. Sort of like a fuse.
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Instaclear put out un-regulated voltage, not un-rectified. It was always DC, just at higher than normal voltage. There is no practical way to bypass the diodes in an alternator, but running full voltage to the field to juice the output voltage is very easy.

1G alternators don't have that stupid plug either. Thats a 2G thing. The 1G has a proper bolt-on connection. idle output is lousy, but its a pretty reliable alternator.
          Last edited by gadget73; 01-15-2022, 10:12 PM.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I've had too much time with my thoughts. I'm doubting everything again.

Could the jerking on decel be caused by the transmission?

From what I remember, u-joints were pretty good and the trans mount only has 100k miles on it. The trans shifts and downshifts nicely and doesn't really clunk when put into gear.

I really don't want to spend 600-700€ on a carb conversion to get shafted and have the same issue still. The jerky decel is the most annoying issue.
            But atleast the carb will (hopefully) solve my rich running and terrible MPG issues.

Comment

the transmission usually won't cause it directly, but since the torque converter is fully locked in 3 and 4 any engine running problems feel very obvious.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                the transmission usually won't cause it directly, but since the torque converter is fully locked in 3 and 4 any engine running problems feel very obvious.
                Is the converter always locked in 3 and OD? I was wondering if the lockup might be coming and going during decel, but it might be way more noticeable vs if it's just the engine bucking.
                The jerking isn't harsh at all, but enough for me to notice and get annoyed by.

Comment

Is that not a "feature" of all AOD tranys? That old "kick in the pants" around 3rd and OD on AOD's from that period.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                    Is that not a "feature" of all AOD tranys? That old "kick in the pants" around 3rd and OD on AOD's from that period.
                    Surely Ford knew how to make a drivetrain that coasted smoothly? Like every single fucking year before the AOD?
                    If not, Imma sell the fucking car.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                      Surely Ford knew how to make a drivetrain that coasted smoothly? Like every single fucking year before the AOD?
                      If not, Imma sell the fucking car.
                      Agree completely but if we are talking about the same "noise/feeling" there is not much to do about it. On the later tranys, the only issue was using Mercon as opposed to Mercon 5 and sometimes a trany sensor to reduce or eliminate trany shudder. At least you could mitigate or eliminate that problem but the AOD's?? I know NO way around that lockup issue.

Comment

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                        Agree completely but if we are talking about the same "noise/feeling" there is not much to do about it. On the later tranys, the only issue was using Mercon as opposed to Mercon 5 and sometimes a trany sensor to reduce or eliminate trany shudder. At least you could mitigate or eliminate that problem but the AOD's?? I know NO way around that lockup issue.
                        When I coast in this car, there's an intermittent "bump", feels like a misfire. It does seem to happen in all gears, but it isn't as pronounced in first or second, so it probably isn't a lockup issue.
                        No shudder or noise and except for the 1st gear whine, my trans is totally silent.

Comment

I know the later GM's/CV's (like mid 90's) have a trany whine but not sure about the AOD's. My friend has a '88 CV so I'll have to check it out when I can get my hands on the car. Doesn't sound like anything to be overly concerned about. As long as the fluid is up and clean with no other issues I'd just enjoy the ride.

Comment

All aod based transmissions have that 1st gear whirring noise, it’s totally normal.

Op you shouldn’t have bucking on decel, my 87 doesn’t. It did when I had the ground for all the sensors in the wrong spot. I know you’ve tested a lot of sensors but there could still be a wiring gremlin hiding somewhere.

Comment

3rd and 4th actually bypass the torque converter via the inner input shaft IIRC. This is what effectively gives the AOD complete lockup. It does not have a lockup torque converter in the sense of a lockup mechanism in the torque converter. Later AODe and 4r7x transmissions however do have a clutch pack in the torque converter that is used for lockup.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

right, its not a lockup in the modern sense. Everything before the AOD had no lockup, and everything after used a clutch. The AOD has a split input system. The torque converter drives 1 and 2, 3 and 4 are driven directly from the converter shell. Modern things tend to unlock the converter for decel, the AOD simply cannot do that. On the other hand its impossible to have converter shudder because there is no converter clutch to slip.

It doesn't mean they're guaranteed to hitch and buck though. None of mine do or have done that. I have driven things with misfires though and you can really tell when the engine is running poorly.

Comment

Working...
                                X