PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Don't feel like fucking around with the window yet.

I've had the EGR disconnected and plugged since last summer, so today I put it all back, to see if changes anything now that the car is actually running somewhat properly.
    Hot idle in park gets weird and a hint of bucking is noticeable when cruising.
    Imma let it be then, better off it not working at all vs. not working correctly. Modern fuel injection or carb might be on the to-do list if I'll keep this car for long. I ain't sure about anything currently. Not sure if this thing has ever run 100% or even 95%, but I do like the car.

I've been trying to keep an eye on the trans fluid level, due to this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200929_161719.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	54915
    Engine oil pan is dry, trans pan seems fine too, the leak seems to come from between the engine and the box... Not sure is trans front/pump seal or rear main, either way not fun.
    My problem with the trans dipstick is that with the advised procedure, I get oil halfway up the dipstick with a whole lot of bubbles every time.
    I don't think the trans would be so incredibly overfilled and still shift all nicely?
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Could be rear intake seal over the engine valley leaking oil as that drips off about the same point.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Red is ATF, brown is oil. If your ATF is brown enough to be mistaken for oil, thats a problem.

Rear of the intake is highly possible, rear main not impossible but slightly less likely. Valve cover gaskets also tend to run down the back of the engine. Probably worth a good cleaning and then inspection with a mirror to see if its running down from the top or only from the inside.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

I would have to agree with the above; at least it seems with Ford engines. Both my '91 Ranger and the '86 CV had rear lower intake leaks; the Ranger was more active though; especially on hot days it would run down on top of the Y-pipe and make a nice smoke show for my fellow commuters.

This is what the stock 5.0L looked like after years of leaking oil out of the intake. It even oiled my rear diff that was rebuilt and painted a few years ago.

Name:	September Pics 030.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	136.1 KB 
ID:	54917

Did some digging into the leaks. Handily, I had the car overnight in front of the house, so I found the new spots on the ground easily.

Right under the power steering pump and steering box. Not surprising, since pretty much everything steering-related is coated in black crap from the pump fill cap downwards.
    So atleast one of the leaks is ps fluid, the level was pretty low, so maybe I'll go get some power steering stop leak, it could possibly help.

A very tiny spot had also appeared at the trans' whereabouts. Didn't bother jacking up the car so I just reached my arm under and snapped a load of pics.
    Seems like the isn't as clean underneath as it was last summer... It had sat for long before I purchased, so no wonder there.

Ew.

Name:	20201001_110437.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	54928 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_110428.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	54930 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_110405.jpg 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	54931 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_110239.jpg 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	54921

Valve cover gaskets are pretty done all around atleast. Pan gasket too, probably from the rear.

But it doesn't seem like the intake would be leaking. I'd presume the oil would be running down the bell housing from the valley? The bell housing is filthy, but not at all glistening.

Name:	20201001_110225.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	54924
    Last edited by Arquemann; Today at 05:28 AM.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Do you valve covers with the Felpro Permadry Plus gaskets. They rock and you need them!

On the power steering, Iíve had them leak at the lines, the o-ring around the reservoir, and the pump shaft. The seal kit for the pump is cheap. I only replace the ones that cause the leak. Wash it and see where itís coming from. I wouldnít risk the stop leak. Next thing you know, the box will be leaking too and the hoses swollen.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112