PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Southern

All box body door gaskets are double thick at the top corner. Normal. Some people stuff some rope into the gaskets to make them "poofy". Window channel rubber is definitely critical to road noise, agreed with gadget. Door striker bushings are needed with proper door adjustment. start from the back of the car, and move to the front.

The seal on the outer edge of chrome is more for keeping water from coming into the door jamb so you don't get wet when opening the door. Less so for sound.

You do know how to loosen the pulley from the backside of the bracket right? need a SAE wrench to loosen it up, then it'll get floppy.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

I'll have to look into the window channels and dew wipes, body to door seals are in okay condition. Dunno about the striker bushings yet, got to figure out something I guess.
    My power locks got a bit stiff after sitting for the winter. These springs and summers ain't exactly dry over here in Scandinavia.

Taking the car to the US-shop on tuesday, they've got dye and can refill the system with the old type valves.
    I'll clean the trunk corner in a day or two and spread the sealer generously inside there.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

If it wasnt mentioned you can buy the entire striker with bushing new. I did it. works perfectly.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-22008B/83-9...r-Reproduction

bushings

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-BP241PR/197...riker-Bushings

older cars may be different?!

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-22008A/79-8...-Latch-Striker

And baller status:

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-22008F/83-9...-Ford-Original
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

My 86 were post-only. Later ones are the hooky kind. There might be 2 different thread sizes but I won't swear to that. Something is tickling my memories and saying I tried using a striker from something on something else and the threaded bit didn't match up. Couldn't tell you any more than that.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The strikers on mine are those post only types. I've got a couple washers behind the striker on the drivers door, haven't checked the others.
    Apparently my dad might have something stored away somewhere.
    Also LMR doesn't ship internationally, which is a royal pain in the arse.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    The strikers on mine are those post only types. I've got a couple washers behind the striker on the drivers door, haven't checked the others.
    Apparently my dad might have something stored away somewhere.
    Also LMR doesn't ship internationally, which is a royal pain in the arse.
    I figured as such. At the very least it gives you an idea of what is available out there.
    ~David~

Took the car to the shop, AC still had quite a bit of pressure left.
    new stuff in, dye as well.
    The compressor won't kick on. It seems that the clutch has gone bad, it does get signal.
    The refrigerant might've not leaked out during the winter anyways.

What should I do about it? Smack it with something? Replace clutch? Replace compressor?

Oh yeah, the trunk leaks still, more silicone coming soon™

Also bought new windshield wipers, which work excellent, except now the drivers side smacks the A-pillar pretty often. Not all the time, sometime pretty hard, sometimes just barely, here and there it won't smack it at all. When the wipers are turned off, their resting position is a bit high, tips slightly above the hood edge. That happened with the old wiper blades as well.
    What is loose? Is there some kind of minor adjustment for the travel of the wipers?

You can open the hood. Lift up the wiper arm and locate a pull tab near the base of the wiper arm. Pull it out (most likely will be stiff) once pulled out fully (does not get removed as it has a stop so don’t worry about losing it) the wiper arm will rest hovering above the glass with no downwards pressure. Proceed to lift up on it. You will find a little arm attached to a stud. That lifts off as well. Readjust the wiper arm making sure to get that arm back on the peg. Pull tab while lifting up on arm and let arm back into glass.
    ~David~

Uhh...
    Is it this the pull tab you're referring to?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200519_173510.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	54182
    The tiny metal thing on the arm before the pivot?

If that is it, man this is gonna be hard with the hood on. I can barely lift the wiper arms when the hood is open.
    Lifting and getting something there to yank the pull tab is going to be interesting to say the least.

The arms really don’t go that high anyways when lifted. It has a hard stop. Pull up to that hard stop and then that little black tab has to slide up and then you can release the arm and it will hold in an lifted position.
    ~David~

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    The arms really don’t go that high anyways when lifted. It has a hard stop. Pull up to that hard stop and then that little black tab has to slide up and then you can release the arm and it will hold in an lifted position.
    Slide the tab up? Perpendicular to the wiper arm?
    I'll get to checking that out tomorrow, rain has rudely interrupted this evening.

It just goes up. Small flat head screwdriver and twist if your finger nails can’t do it.
    ~David~

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Oddly I've never done this on a box, but have on my whale. If it's basically mechanically the same as on the whale wiper arms, lift up the wiper arm (they don't lift much like Dave said), pull the tab (+1, finger nail should be able to pull it), then when you put the arm back down it will rest on the tab instead of going all the way back down against the windshield.

It's way easier to understand once you have the arm off, in my opinion. Also, it took me a few tries to get my wiper arm lined up to where I was happy with it. (Put the arm back on, run the wipers, repeat as needed. Probably because of the way I ran the wipers and keyed off mid-stroke before removing the arm, which should not be necessary but that's how I wanted to do it.) Pulls up, like Dave said, assumes you don't do it the weird way I did with the wiper not in park.

Here's a picture I grabbed from the video below. Looking at the underside of the arm I put arrows for how the tab slides back and forth.
    And a crude MS Paint diagram. The tab doesn't pull very far, and like Dave said can't pull all the way out. So once it stops, it should be as far out as it needs to be.
    Also, according to my '98 service manual no tools are required to pry the arm off. It should just pull right off once the tab is pulled.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wiper_Arm_Tab_Slide.png   Wiper_Arm_Tab_Slide-paint.png  
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-19-2020 at 03:40 PM.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

Thanks, the video made it very clear. Doesn't seem that hard now either.
    I think I'll cycle the wipers, turn them off. Then I'll adjust them to where I think they should be in "park" and see how that works out at the A-pillar.
    On mine atleast, the wipers work with the hood open, but the hood actually presses agaist the wipers arms when theyre up. Not enough to impede the wipers moving but enough to scratch the hood trim and the wiper arms.
    I've jammed lifted wiper arms into hood edges by opening said hoods too many times. On my Audi the wiper arms really dug into the paint in the hood.

Fair bet its the low pressure switch on the side of the drier. Electrically is a dead simple circuit. Power comes from the control unit inside to the low pressure switch. Out of the low pressure switch to the wide open cutout relay, output from there to the clutch, then to ground. If you unplug the switch and jump it, does the compressor come on? If so and the system is charged, the switch is bad. It can be replaced without venting the system, just unscrew it quickly so the valve shuts.

If you've got enough power at the clutch to light a headlamp, the clutch is either not gapped properly or the coil is open. Ohm check across the 2 terminals will tell you if its dead or not. Clutch gap should be .020", if its too wide you can pull the front hub off and remove a shim or two to fix the gap. Also does not require discharging the system.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Thanks, the video made it very clear. Doesn't seem that hard now either.
    I think I'll cycle the wipers, turn them off. Then I'll adjust them to where I think they should be in "park" and see how that works out at the A-pillar.
    On mine atleast, the wipers work with the hood open, but the hood actually presses agaist the wipers arms when theyre up. Not enough to impede the wipers moving but enough to scratch the hood trim and the wiper arms.
    I've jammed lifted wiper arms into hood edges by opening said hoods too many times. On my Audi the wiper arms really dug into the paint in the hood.
    Another thing to look out for if you do it that way (run the wiper and key off on the middle somewhere) is not to get it too far off. When the wipers go to park if you have them adjusted too far down I think it could be possible that the motor will still want to keep moving to park after that wiper arm has physically traveled as far as it can go. I didn't break anything, but my first attempt put it a hair too far down. If I had adjusted it further down it probably wouldn't have been good.

Also, I figured I would pull the arm and just move it a little, but I sort of lost my exact position and had to guess. Wasn't too far off, but a little piece of tape on your windshield would help to mark your original position.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, summer DD
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon - wannabe winter DD - returning summer 2020, I finally have an engine
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - My rotting winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

If you have power at the compressor clutch and no clutch engagement, You can just replace the clutch and it should work then. I've had a clutch die on me as well. You will need some C-clip pliers (the kind that grab the little holes in the ends of the c-clip) I think. May just be the later ones, but I think 85 had that clutch too, or at least a similar one. Some of the other folks can correct me if I'm wrong.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

yep, all the same. Nut in the middle, pull the outer disc off, snap ring to remove the pulley, another snap ring holds the clutch coil.

Jumping the low pressure sensor didn't do anything. Ohm checking the compressor with a multimeter yielded mostly infinite resistance but sometimes it showed zero resistance, I don't know why.
    Clutch plate and springs seem free and good, didn't check the gap though, it did work well last summer.

Added some mooore silicone to the trunk corner, next time I won't bother trying to do it clean anymore.

Finally, after a year, I bothered to get the hubcaps off, squishing and dremeling a small socket and hammering it on. One of the square nuts broke loose from the thing on the hub, oh well.
    The other hubcaps I have are actually 14". Dang...

Wipers are now adjusted, they don't seem to hit the A-pillar anymore. They still "park" almost as high on the windshield, not that it really matters.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast