PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Quote Originally Posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
    Can you put in a power valve that comes in sooner to compensate, then adjust the idle circuit or main jets a size smaller to cruise leaner? 14 is still kinda rich to cruise at for best fuel mileage
    I've got a 7,5" PV currently, one size earlier from the stock 6,5".

It's running at a pretty good AFR at very light throttle, let's say cruising at ~45 mph. A mix of idle and transition circuits.
    But when I'm cruising at 65mph, it's not using any of the idle circuit, mostly just transition and main circuit, and that's when it's a bit rich at ~14 AFR.

In short: transition circuit is lean.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"

One weird thing I've noticed now after having the chance to drive two other panthers is the seating position in my car. It's way higher than the others, even with the seat as low as it goes.
    Honestly I really prefer the more sunken in seating of the others, makes you feel somehow less vulnerable. Is there seat height differences between panther models or is my seat adjustment broken somehow?

2 decades of DDing Box Panthers, now in a Whale VicCrownVic's Avatar

Between The Ice Car and The Scab there is a noticeable difference in seat height. Both are '91 but The Ice Car is a GS (same seats as older model LS trim like yours) and The Scab is an LS trim so the seats are different. I prefer the higher seats of The Ice Car which are the same seats as your seats. I guess more accurately, the cushion of that style seat puts you up higher. The seat mount and frame are the same as far as I can tell.

Maisa:

vs

The Scab:

Actually, you can kind of see it in the pictures. The red seats cushion sits higher than the center section where the two seats meet. The mocha seats cushion is at best even with that center section, which I assume that center section is the same on both style seats.

Edit: So what you would want is seats from a '88+ MGM LS like what The Scab has.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160612_211523_zps469ypgmp.jpg  
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-21-2022 at 01:37 PM.
    Vic

~ 1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    ~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis GS "The Ice Car" - Rotting Retired Winter DD
    ~ 1989 Mercury Grand Marquis GS - Rotting Retired DD
    Gone but not forgotten:
    ~ 1988 Country Squire ~ 1987 Ford Crown Vic

all the CFI are belong to me

My 83 has the same seats as Maisa, but without power, and they feel very awkwardly high.

I would expect power adjustment to let you get them down pretty low, but the cushion on these seems both taller and firmer than the later and better seats.
    Last edited by kishy; 06-21-2022 at 01:50 PM.

Current driver: 84 TC
    Panthers, Parked: 83 GM 2dr | 85 CS | 86 GM | 88 TC | 91 GM
    Not Panthers: 85 Ranger | Ranger trailer | 05 Focus
    RIP: 97 CV | 83 TC | 04 Focus | Junkyards

If I were taller I probably wouldn't like those seats. At 5ft 9in (a little over 175cm), I like the seats that put me up a little higher.
    I couldn't do manual seat with either style seat though. I've been spoiled and every Box I've had ('87 CV, '88 Country Squire, '89 MGM GS, '91 MGM GS, '91 MGM LS) came with power driver seat (also every Box I've had, I had to add passenger power seat.)
    Vic

~ 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab" - plenty of rot, backup/summer cruiser
    ~ 1997 GMC Yukon SLT - wannabe winter DD - many issues, returning sometime in the 2020s
    Gone but not forgotten:

The manual version is downright uncomfortable. It does not provide for any sort of upright seating position and you are basically forced to sit in what feels like a reclined position.

It'd be nice if there was a height-adjustable manual seat rail for these cars but that isn't a combination of features that ever happened in their lifecycle.

So I'm not completely nuts about this, great. Also crap, I guess I'm outta luck wanting to sit lower. I'm not even that tall at 178cm, I guess I've got a long torso or something.
    Mine has the half(?) power seats, mostly power but manual recline.

I've reached the fine tuning point with my carb, the transition circuit is lean, so I've gotta fiddle with the idle air bleeds to get that set. When I can richen the transition circuit, I can lean out the main jets slightly more.
    Other than the slight rich (14 AFR) running, she's served me well for the last two weeks as a daily driver. The 15-16 mpg still sucks, gas is $10+ per gallon. Which makes me also question my idea of getting another old american car as an actual daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Arquemann View Post
    Mine has the half(?) power seats, mostly power but manual recline.
    That's how all Box CV/MGM power seats are. Forward, Back, Up, Down, Front Up/Down, Rear Up/Down, and recline is manual.
    Pretty sure Box Town Cars were the same.
    Vic

Gone but not forgotten:

Quote Originally Posted by VicCrownVic View Post
    That's how all Box CV/MGM power seats are. Forward, Back, Up, Down, Front Up/Down, Rear Up/Down, and recline is manual.
    Pretty sure Box Town Cars were the same.
    Ah ok. I probably got the idea of power recline from something else.
    Manual seats don't have height control? If I understood kishy's comment correctly. My dad also mentioned that Maisa's seats are high, they had a few box panthers in the 90's.

Also compared to a box Caprice, Panthers seat you way higher. A box Caprice I went to look at last week was actually pretty damn comfy with a manual bench seat, except it had no tilt column and a Silverado wheel. Felt like I was looking just over the rim of the steering wheel.

On an almost seat-related note: Finding the next daily driver has really proved more difficult, since my nr. 1 choice turned out to be a bit of a shitshow (the box Caprice mentioned above).
    -Fuel is fucking expensive, anything equivalent and even slightly better than the MGM in fuel efficiency is pretty much a no-go.
    -I need cruise control, and I'd retrofit it if necessary.
    -I also want AC, but it isn't as important as CC.
    -The car needs to be homely/cozy, it is something I dearly missed with the BMW.

I really badly want an old yank hunk of some sort since they're so friggin comfy and homely and they are nice on highways.
    An old Volvo would be just the ticket, but they're kinda boring (compared to something american). There's another car in my sights which doesn't have AC or cruise and it might be too small for my taste, but damn if I'm still interested about it.

Ah ok. I probably got the idea of power recline from something else.
    Manual seats don't have height control? If I understood kishy's comment correctly. My dad also mentioned that Maisa's seats are high, they had a few box panthers in the 90's.
    Manual seats have only one adjustment for the seat bottom, which is sliding forward or back. There is no height adjustment and therefore there is no tilt.

Power seats, even when they are this tall-cushion seat, have height adjustment controls for the front and rear of the seat, which provides the ability to lower the whole seat to the floor, raise the whole seat from the floor, or tilt it forward/back by lowering the front and raising the rear for example.

Not related to our current issue but something to ponder: it is actually possible to find boxes, usually very low-trim Lincolns, with the recline feature deleted, but still having full power control for the seat bottom.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

recline deleted, meaning no adjustment at all? Thats odd. My 86 Towncar was about as base model as it gets, not even having power passenger seats, and it's original seats had manual recline adjustments.

I've never seen an 8 way seat in a box at all though, so far as I know that never existed.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

This week's commuting I got 18mpg! I don't think anything really changed from last week though... Which is kinda weird.

Today I've tinkered with some DIY idle air bleed restrictors to richen out the transition circuit. Seems promising so far.

I made myself a cabin air filter! I have severe pollen allergy and this summer has been awful so far. Doesn't help that the factory "filter" only keeps out particles bigger than pinecones.
    Picked up some active charcoal filter element for a whopping 7,90 and cut a piece from it that fits under the factory mesh screen.
    Obviously this isn't completely ideal because the fresh air intake seems to be a part of the cowl water drain. I believe water is supposed to flow from under the mesh screen, water flow isn't blocked now either, but it will wet the filter element.
    Hopefully it'll filter out some of the pollen atleast, the filter element isn't particularly dense. It's on pretty tight inbetween there, so it shouldn't get sucked in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220626_140453.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	58033 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220626_142217.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	58035

If I remember right, that vent should be sealed to the cowl to keep water from going in, originally its got some closed cell foam tape around the base. If you look down the hole, you will see your recirc door at the bottom, water does get down there but not much. Heavy downpour or washing the car might overwhelm the plenum drain and you might end up with a wet carpet if water flows in there.

I made myself a cabin air filter! I have severe pollen allergy and this summer has been awful so far. Doesn't help that the factory "filter" only keeps out particles bigger than pinecones.
    Picked up some active charcoal filter element for a whopping 7,90€ and cut a piece from it that fits under the factory mesh screen.
    Obviously this isn't completely ideal because the fresh air intake seems to be a part of the cowl water drain. I believe water is supposed to flow from under the mesh screen, water flow isn't blocked now either, but it will wet the filter element.
    Hopefully it'll filter out some of the pollen atleast, the filter element isn't particularly dense. It's on pretty tight inbetween there, so it shouldn't get sucked in.

Name:	20220626_140453.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	58033 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220626_142217.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	91.9 KB 
ID:	58035
    Will the filter trap water long enough to create mold/mildew which may also cause allergic reactions? I do actually like the idea assuming no other issues are created.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by GM_Guy View Post
    If I remember right, that vent should be sealed to the cowl to keep water from going in, originally its got some closed cell foam tape around the base.
    Oh, I didn't see anything that would indicate a seal having been there. The mesh screen hasn't been off there in a longass time, if ever.

Name:	20220626_135724.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	87.1 KB 
ID:	58036 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220626_134844.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	58038
    There's some crapstains and tree trash at the bottom, I guess there's a small water drain somewhere there that I can't quite see.

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    Will the filter trap water long enough to create mold/mildew which may also cause allergic reactions? I do actually like the idea assuming no other issues are created.
    It shouldn't be able to gather standing water, and since it's a carbon filter it should prevent mold or such from growing. From my reading, most carbon filters can handle getting damp and even washing them. Traditional car cabin filter material probably wouldn't fare well in this case.

It shouldn't be able to gather standing water, and since it's a carbon filter it should prevent mold or such from growing. From my reading, most carbon filters can handle getting damp and even washing them. Traditional car cabin filter material probably wouldn't fare well in this case.
    Sounds reasonable but my concern was the pores of the carbon holding water and then mold forming and creating mycotoxins.
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Quote Originally Posted by friskyfrankie View Post
    Sounds reasonable but my concern was the pores of the carbon holding water and then mold forming and creating mycotoxins.
    Hopefully it shouldn't hold water. I did a quick read and it seems carbon filters kill mycotoxins. Dunno.

They make add-on parts for aeros and whales, but not boxes, for using a filter in that position. And yeah... my box didn't have any weatherstrip there either, but I added it. Just enough to fill the gap with some pressure. Some closed cell foam rubber because it's easy to cut to size.

If anyone else wants one of those pre-made filters, ponyrparts.com has them.
    92-02: https://ponyrparts.com/1992-2002-cro...-kit-exterior/
    03-11: https://ponyrparts.com/2003-2011-cro...-kit-exterior/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3139404142 LastLast