No announcement yet.

My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shorter belt and route over the tensioner pulley is what I did. IIRC, the belt was a K060560.
    http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=smog+belt

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Shorter belt and route over the tensioner pulley is what I did. IIRC, the belt was a K060560.
      http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=smog+belt
      56" is 1422,4mm, and I should be able to get a 1420mm belt just over the counter. We shall see. First I need a day that isn't all RAIN.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

As a side note... if you have the original tensioner pulley with the huge guides, you may have to remove the positioning bolt from the back side (the one that locks the pulley in place) after loosening it and the pivot bolt to get the belt over the lip. Once the belt is over the lip, the bolt will go back in. You might also run the top section of belt under the pulley. I think both ways will clear. I know my OCD preferred the look of the over the top method with the smog pump gone.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

My beemer came with rubber mats uo front and canvas in the back. Since it's going to be a winter car, I bought new rubber mats for the rear.

The bmw rear mats fit quite well in the MGM, except for the color.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20210521_155150.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	1289049
          The aftermarket mats in the MGM are shit anyways, now I gotta figure out some matching up front.
          Last edited by Arquemann; 05-21-2021, 09:40 AM.

Comment

I've been pondering on the wheel / tire question and came to the conclusion that I want to keep this car on the steelies, for now.
            But the horrible sunken in back wheels have to be addressed. I've decided to go with spacers.
            I measured the wheel studs and they are about 33mm in length, so I should be good with 35mm of spacer. Currently I've got about 70mm of gap from the tire to the arch, so I should be able to fit 235s in the rear, with the spacers.
            Spacers are cheap, and they can be removed to pass inspection. No need to modify anything either.

I thought about getting a pair of the steelies to a wheel shop to get widened or the backspacing reduced. That would cost somewhere around 120€ for two rims, plus having to refinish and paint them. Also reversed / widened steelies are illegal in Finland, though I haven't actually heard anyone getting ticketed for them. Usually cops and inspection guys just warn or wag a finger about them.

Getting bigger and better wheels would be great, except they cost a bunch of money and there isn't really anything interesting used for sale.

She's finally getting the alignment done next monday. The shop guy confirmed that they can do it, testfitted the alignment projectors/prisms onto the car.
            I'll probably order the spacers some day, then see about ordering new rear tires.

Comment

Did a little spring cleaning today, thorough vacuum and dusting, cleaned the windows and adjusted the hood latch so the front corners don't flop.
              The car keeps on reminding me that plush is really shitty to vacuum. Still better than leather because it's less sweaty on hot days.
              Was going to apply vinyl and leather care stuff on the dash and door panels, except the relatively warm day got the dash absolutely scorching hot.

Also ordered up a pair of 25mm bolt-on spacer and a pair of 8mm pancakes. It might be a little close to the wheel studs but nothing a little flap disk can't deal with.

Comment

I loosened the AC/smog belt today and felt around. The smog pump doesn't feel as bad as it looks, but it does have some slop in the shaft. It does make some nasty scratching noises when turned, but there's basically zero resistance on turning it.
                Guess I'll leave it be for now, if it gets worse and shreds / throws a belt, I'll get to it.

Are the metal fitting pieces check valves? The ones where the rubber hoses end from the Thermactor and change into metal pipes to the backs of the cyl heads and to cats.
                I kinda want to clean up the Thermactor mess except for the metal pipes.

A couple quick pics from yesterdays sunset cruise:

Name:	20210528_212809.jpg
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	1289077 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210528_212139.jpg
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1289078 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210528_211859.jpg
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1289079

Comment

I have 1 1/4" (32mm) spacers on mine and it works, just have to watch the height of the lug nuts to make sure they don't sit past the top of the spacer. Not sure if those steel wheels have clearance dimples around the holes or not.

and make sure you torque the spacers properly. I had a stupid moment and it ended up with a wheel coming off the car.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Nice car; great background

Comment

Got the car back from the alignment, right wheel was cambered in awfully lot, causing the inside wear. Seems a bit sharper to drive now too. Guy commented that all of the joints have barely have any play in them, which is great to hear, since they all look like shit.

Name:	20210531_154507.jpg
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	1289089
                      Steering wheel is still a bit crooked, less so now, but to the other direction Is the steering wheel keyed to the steering shaft or just splined? I'd like to adjust it a bit if possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
                        Got the car back from the alignment, right wheel was cambered in awfully lot, causing the inside wear. Seems a bit sharper to drive now too. Guy commented that all of the joints have barely have any play in them, which is great to hear, since they all look like shit.
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]56369[/ATTACH]
                        Steering wheel is still a bit crooked, less so now, but to the other direction Is the steering wheel keyed to the steering shaft or just splined? I'd like to adjust it a bit if possible.
                        This is a huge gripe I have with alignment shops. Align your car and then give you a crooked steering wheel. Is that a different service that they provide? Seems silly to me.

I dont believe it is adjustable from up top. After doing my own alignment on my Crown Victoria I had to continually mess with the toe by adjusting the adjusting sleeves in unison to keep toe correct BUT get steering wheel centered. PITA. Maybe why alignment shops don't bother. lol
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I just paid $150 to have my front end aligned on my Superbird. Steering wheel is off about two inches from being centered. I complained and they said it was because the tires are worn uneven. Car runs true and doesn't pull left or right. Luckily I can remove the one fat spline on the steering wheel and center the wheel myself. WagonMan
                          89 Colony Park
                          90 Colony Park
                          70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Eh, I think I'll just leave it be if the steering wheel can't be adjusted. It's maybe 15-20 degrees to the right, used to be probably nearly 40 degrees to the left.
                            It feels so off now, I've driven the car for over 2 seasons with the crooked steering wheel, it would feel off even if it was completely straight.

I paid 85€ for the alignment and I'd consider that to be on the cheap side.

Comment

just keep flooding the joints with grease each oil change and they should last a good while anyhow. Replacing the boots will make them last even longer.

Comment

yeah, lack of lube is what does them in. Dirt is the other part. Even if you don't do the boots, pumping grease in pushes the dirt and water out. Just wipe off the grease zerk first otherwise you may be pumping dirt in with the grease. And clean it again afterward, we're not savages
                                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                                X