PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: My '85 MGM, "Maisa"

Got the front door seals changed today, laid the new rubber on the driveway to straighten out in the sunshine while I started disassembling the interior. A-pillar didn't want to slip from underneath the top windshield trim, so I worked around it, otherwise the whole operation went surprisingly smooth and easy.

From sly's post I understood the clips were metal, which they were, but the trim was also metal. Duly noted as I sliced open my pinky finger on the first of the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    -If you're talking about the bits around the headliner, there are metal clips holding it into the body.-
    -They were also metal in the 88 I had (aluminum IIRC).-
    The 90 corners weren't an issue at all, which was quite surprising. There was about 40cm extra on the pieces that I cut off with just a carpet knife.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210512_133341.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	67.0 KB 
ID:	56275 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20210512_133347.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	116.5 KB 
ID:	56276
    The doors are hard as hell to close now, but it'll simmer in the sunshine all summer, so I'd expect them to get better.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    2008 BMW 530d Touring, "Femma"

Nice job. Yes having to slam the doors is a sign of doing things right.

Care to rehash what door seals you went with?
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Care to rehash what door seals you went with?
    Fairchild KF3005 from RA. According to RA they were for a '87 Mustang hatchback/coupe. 16€ for one door, 21€ for the pair, cheap as shit but seems good quality.
    Fits real snug on the pinch welds, didn't need a mallet but I doubt it's going to droop either.

I'll probably end up doing the rear doors at some point too. I mainly did this as the passenger side front door seal was completely mushed and a bit torn due to the pushed in window frame.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 05-12-2021 at 02:44 PM.

Did you happen to note how long each one is? I might be able to use this with my Expedition as well. Have to double check the shape of my seals, but I think they're the same. I know the door hole is a lot larger though. The seals on mine are shrinking and pulling out of the corners causing leaks.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Quote Originally Posted by sly View Post
    Did you happen to note how long each one is? I might be able to use this with my Expedition as well. Have to double check the shape of my seals, but I think they're the same. I know the door hole is a lot larger though. The seals on mine are shrinking and pulling out of the corners causing leaks.
    Long enough to be rather unwieldy when not installed Don't know the exact length but it's about the stock seal + about 15 inches. I think they were supposed to be the correct length for a foxbody, on RA theres another item that says 150", but it also says its cut-to-length.

I have absolutely zero idea how much bigger an Expedition door is...

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

surprised the truck specific seal isn't available. Parts for Mustangs and trucks are usually no fuss at all. Luckily lots of those parts can be adapted to other vehicles or we'd be screwed

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The expy seal is available from Ford... each door is about $100 or so. I need ALL of the doors. A bulk type would be much better for me.

Edit:
    Looks like the 03 F150 supercab seal (163") may be the one to get. I'll see about string measuring my doors and see how many of these I need for it all. The stock seals are a welded loop which doesn't help with staying in place when the rubber shrinks. This also looks the same as the Aero/whale seals, so it may be a good option for the later cars.
    Last edited by sly; 05-13-2021 at 09:41 AM.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I was just thinking someone probably makes an aftermarket for that for not stupid money

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The new seals reduced wind noise quite a bit, cruises pretty much silent at 50mph.
    And with the freshly balanced tires the vibrations aren't so bad. Steering column no longer shakes, probably because the bad tire is on the rear now
    The idle is still kinda fucky, bucks and is pretty shaky in gear, neutral/park is smooth-ish.

Today's cruise night was absolutely packed, the service station was beyond full with cars on the sidewalks for a hundred meters both ways. Rarely has there been so many cars. The warm weather has really gotten everyone out and about.

If the timing chain has any slack it'll do wonky stuff. The original cam gear had nylon teeth, so replacing with standard steel gears fixes that issue. If this has already been done, could just be timing is a little off or idle a dink low.

Timing chain was done in fall '19. Base timing was set at 10 by my dad, I don't really know how to use a timing light anyways.

There seems to still be something going on with the timing...
    Today I drove around some with and without the SPOUT plugged in.
    What I know:
    - Cold idle is shaky and stumbly either way (no fast idle mechanism for me)
    - Warmed up the engine idles lower and a bit smoother with the SPOUT unplugged
    - Bucking on decel isn't as bad with the SPOUT unplugged

I don't know if it's totally normal, but the engine changes tone and RPM quite a bit when unplugging the SPOUT at idle, so it's definitely adjusting the timing from base all the time.

Also today I noticed that my air pump bearings are totally shot, the pump pulley wobbles around like there's no tomorrow. Probably has done that for a while, last spring I though the slightly damaged serpentine belt was due to the new AC clutch.

As I much as I hate to say it, this car is most likely going to get a carb next summer.
    Consider this: I have rich issues, seemingly timing adjust issues, broken EGR, broken high idle, probably soon a broken Thermactor system and a mess of broken diaphragms and old vacuum lines. And I've pretty much ran out of things to replace for the engine to run right.

easy fix for the thermactor is to just eliminate it. Take the pulley off and use a shorter belt to drive the AC. Problem solved.

and fix the vacuum lines. These run rich with vac leaks

Car should be low on power on the road with the SPOUT unplugged. It will idle nicely though if your idle is set right.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Yeah, it'd seem like a Thermactor delete is in order. What length belt for just the AC then?
    Surely I won't have any weird issues after unhooking the vacuum lines and electrical connections for the thermactor solenoids?

I guess I could do another round of vacuum leak hunting. From last time I remember the dash heater controls have a small leak, but it was maybe 1-2 inHg per second.

@Tiggie, it feels like the car if misfiring at idle with the SPOUT connected, and a little less so with it disconnected. Even plugged in, it isn't shaky every time. It's just weird, and rather infuriating.

How old are the spark plug wires? I had a sort of rough idle for a while that went away after I swapped plug wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's the green vacuum tree sticking up from the rear corner of the intake manifold, does it come off by pulling?
    From said green beepboop a red striped vacuum line goes straight down to behind the manifold and into a metal pipe/line. I can't make heads or tails from the vacuum diagram on what this line would be or where it goes.

Couldn't vacuum test the stuff on said green tree, but pretty much everything else checks out. Even the vacuum leak from heater controls was minuscule, I doubt it has any effect. Biggest vacuum leak atm seems to be the throttle kicker...

Name:	20200328_144555.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	132.1 KB 
ID:	56290
    Is "HCV" the hockey puck -looking reservoir on the inner fender, under the brake master?

I took off and capped the TAD/TAB vacuum supply line, capped the EGR solenoid outputs going to the EGR valve. Thinking about removing the Exhaust heat control solenoid crap too.

I wonder how much I could simplify the mess of vacuum T's, Y's and check valves... Just can't make any sense of the billion T's and check valves looping around and feeding eachother.
    I'd need vacuum for the MAP, heater controls, throttle kicker solenoid and EVAP check valve? What needs a check valve?

If someone has pics of the CFI engine's backside, those would be greatly appreciated

@87GrandMarq plug wires are pretty new, so are the plugs and every other ignition component. I doubt wires are the issue anymore.
    Last edited by Arquemann; 05-16-2021 at 12:51 PM.

I think the HCV is the flap in the exhaust pipe on the driver's side. It shuts when cold to force exhaust through the intake to warm it up faster.

Well, I didn't even realize I had the HCV, only time I've seen one before it was on a '84 (I think) truck 302, where the vacuum diaphragm housing was on the "outside" of the exhaust manifold. But there it is between the manifold and block in my car.
    That also explains the red striped vacuum line that I asked about earlier.

So the HCV gets vacuum from the green thingymabobber thats on the corner of the intake manifold? How is it supposed to be controlled? Circled in image:

Name:	Inked20200328_144555  kopio (2)_LI.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	56295
    Or is the circled thing even a vacuum source at all? Are there I can't find any info or good images of the CFI intake manifold.

Is the "VCV" in the image the firewall mounted beige vacuum distribution block (up and center) or something completely else? I can't really figure out how the HCV gets controlled if it just gets vacuum all the time.

Also I did some strategic deletion to better represent the current situation of the vacuum mess. (the intake snorkel flap is busted and has been disconnected before I even got the car, I have zero clue on it's correct plumbing)

Name:	20200328_144555  kopio.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	118.2 KB 
ID:	56296

DOES MY ENGINE HAVE VACUUM SOURCES OTHER THAN THE METAL TRUNK BEHIND THE EGR VALVE, PCV PORT AND PURGE CV THING?

Lastly, can I just unplug the HCV? or does it close without vacuum?

The tkick solv should be the solenoid valve that sends vacuum to the throttle kicker.

VCV I think is a temperature-controlled vacuum valve. Looks like it switches from exhaust flapper operation to evaporative canister purge depending on engine temperature. Basically it has a plunger inside so when cold vacuum goes one way, when hot it goes the other way. No idea what temperature it switches at but if it leaks or doesn't switch correctly it will do stupid things.

reasonably sure the HCV is spring open, vacuum closed but confirm that. If you have to, wire the flap open and plug the vacuum line.

UGH,
    Since me digging around checking the vacuum lines and stuff, I hadn't any time to drive until today.

Now my AC compressor runs constantly unless the heater is set to OFF, Vent or Floor.
    And I only get hot air...

Did I yank some vacuum line loose under the hood, or is something finally conked out in the AC system?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast