Suspension ideas 89 Vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suspension ideas 89 Vic

Hey mangs. I just wanted some good ideas for suspension upgrades for my 89 crown vic. I know that the police interceptors had a 1" rear sway bar and I used to have that on my Magna years ago. I felt that this was a really good upgrade for the car at the time. So, I'm planning on doing that at some point. What are the things would you guys recommend? Is there a certain type of front and rear Spring that I should go to? My back end is sagging just a little bit so I'm planning to put in new Springs at some point. Are there shocks that would also do well for this car? I realize that it's not going to handle like a sports car or anything like that. I'm just looking to get less body roll out of it and get it to corner better. What would you mang's recommend?

Thanks for any ideas/input.

-Colin
    sigpic
    1989 Ford Crown Victoria

For shocks, I’d recommend KYB Gas-A-Just police rate ones. I ordered mine for a ‘97 Crown Victoria because it didn’t list them for ‘87.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

In addition to the KYB shocks, I would recommend the Bilstein also. Expensive, but probably the best ones. I think the part number is 24-014960. I have those in my 2002 and they are awsome.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...toria-LX/page5

This was when I rebuilt the front and rear suspension several years ago. All of what I did is based off of the stickied thread in the Suspension forum. Currently working on getting parts for the Bigger-Big Brake Swap (also stickied) for the CV. Last time that car was running; the brakes were not all that great. Since the disassembly, I have replaced everything in the braking system except the rear brake line and calipers. Hope this helps.

Comment

PI sway bars might be hard to come by these days but Addco lists some sway bars:
          Front: 1.25 Dia K1-509-OU-378
          Rear: 1.125 Dia K1-650-OU-379

88 Country Squire
          86 Colony Park, non-op'd
          89 Mark VII LSC, non-op'd

Comment

Depending on budget. But what I recommend is big brake swap with energy suspension bushing and hd front and rear spring with kyb shocks. Is what I have in mine and I also recommend getting the Adtr rear control arm really stiffen the ride up nicely. But a bit pricey

Comment

I'm never going to advise not upgrading the brakes.

If you're after something a bit different, see if you can get someone to fabricate you a Panhard rod for the rear axle to keep it located under the car. Its something I've wanted to have done for a while, but I'm fairly shit at fabrication.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not sure how well it would work with a vic, but on my first towncar, i had stock springs up front, gabriele police shocks also front, energy suspension swaybar end links, for the rear limo shocks and kyb police valeving shocks in the rear. It was the best setup ive ever rode in, unfortunatlly my dumb ass thiaght a motor swap would be a good idea... should have just changed the oil pan seal and called it a day lol.
                89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                X