PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1994 lincoln town car

This is the post i read http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=85143 its about 3 posts down, by lithium cobalt

Quote Originally Posted by 82EmilioPucci View Post
    This is the post i read http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=85143 its about 3 posts down, by lithium cobalt
    Maybe in his experience, but you’ll be changing them in 15K or less. My ‘97 runs fine with them and isn’t too far derived from an earlier nPI 4.6.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Im trying to read the codes on the car i bought a adapter for ford 7pin to obd 2 and it didnt work(ish), i did the paper clip method and am having trouble understanding it. I cant upload the video on here as its in mp4(just tried) but i thinking getting 116, 136, 632, maybe 146, im going to uploas the video to youtube, ill post the link once its uploaded. Edit: https://youtu.be/Xdyciy6bS4U
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 04-07-2020 at 07:51 PM.

Gonna buy me a Mercury BoulevardRide's Avatar

I never had any luck counting flashes myself. Tho lots of guys here seem to be good at it.
    If you can afford the 50 bucks this code reader worked well for me
    https://www.amazon.com/INNOVA-3145-F.../dp/B000EW0KHW
    I'd go 50 bucks b/c imo the extension cable is needed, not just to read it from the front seat but also b/c the reader pins are flimsy. By leaving the cable plugged into the reader you'll never have to worry about the pins getting loose or breaking.
    96 MGM

Cruisin up and down the road...

That one looks good, my boss said his buddy might have one. If that doesnt pan out then ill have to buy that one, thank!

Watched the video and got these numbers:

116 - Engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor incorrect signal - Coolant level low, poor connection, ECT sensor, ECM
    136 - Heated oxygen sensor (H02S), bank 2 mixture lean during KOER test - Intake leak, fuel pressure low, fuel filter/pump, injectors, H02S, AIR system, MAP sensor, ECM
    536 - Brake pedal position (BPP) switch -circuit malfunction/no signal change during KOER test - Incorrect brake pedal operation, wiring, BPP switch, ECM
    632 - Overdrive selection switch -no signal change during KOEO test - Incorrect switch operation, wiring, fuse, overdrive selection switch, ECM

The second 2 codes can be ignored as those are test codes meaning the brake and OD/OFF switch were not actuated at the appropriate time during the manually run tests. These are not regular PCM tests.

The first 2 codes however are what need to be looked into. The ECT issue is primary. The second code could indicate a an issue on the driver side of the engine. Clogged/low flow injector, intake gasket failure, oxygen sensor failure, exhaust manifold crack/gasket/mating surface failure (may not be a gasket present as these were not included from the factory and typically only used with aftermarket headers or when repairs are done). Other vacuum leaks would most likely show up with both sensors lean.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Was the engine warmed up first? If not you'll get 116. Cold engine might also have screwy fuel mix. If the engine is warmed up, change the ECT first and re-run the test. Bad temperature readings will mess with the fuel mixture.

check the vacuum line at the PCV valve. There is a rubber connector that cracks and can be enough to mess with the fuel mixture.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

The car had run off and on, wasnt all the way up, but wasnt cool either, i did order a motorcraft pcv valve that came with some vacuum hose ill replace anyway, did buy a motorcraft ect sensor that came with the plug in to
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 04-09-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Also i dont know if it means anything, but the light comes on about 2 or 3 mins into driving and sometimes goes away if driving aways, 20mins or so

check the stored codes and see what that has to say.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

That makes me think that the pigtail to the ECT is buggered like it was on my 93. Had an intermittent connection, but if I twisted it a little tighter in the way it had been twisted over the years, it would work. Replaced that pigtail and stopped having issues with random weirdness.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

pins stretched? Ford electrical connectors are not exactly the most robust things ever created.

The one im looking for is on the thermostat housing yes? Also i ordered the motorcraft coolant temp sensor off of rock auto and it came with a new plug and crimps, could my lean code be from my temp sensor? Also i got a new direct fit o2 sensor just beacuse its old and could be my problem. Also how do i check the stored codes
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 04-15-2020 at 12:31 AM.

turn the key on and connect the self test jumper. It will flash the same as it does for the engine running test.

Ok, i did buy the scanner that was previously mentioned, and where is this temp sensor, theres 2 sensor that look the same on either front corner of the intake

I did the engine off code test and got 116 and 632, i know the od switch works so that on doesnt matter

Also if anyone was wondering, the temp sensor on the passengerside of the intake runs the gauge, the other is for the computer

Its installed, engine light came back on, but i didnt disconnect the battery

Yeah, you'll need to clear the codes to be sure.

if the coolant temp sensor was why the CEL was on, it should go out without you having to reset anything. Guessing its got some other fault, but re-run the code check and see what it has to say.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast