PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1994 lincoln town car

Default 1994 lincoln town car

Just bought this car for my new dd, no rust not even surface!, less than 94,000 miles, no leaks and doesnt use oil, was wondering if theres anything i should do to it, also how do i tell if it has a limited rear end.also how do i post pictures
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 03-28-2020 at 03:50 PM.

Cool looking forward to seeing it.

On any new to you vehicle it is worth going over the fluids and changing it out where it deems necessary.

I would recommend a good wash and cleaner wax just so you know it has some protection in it.

For pic posting make sure you "go advanced" in your comment page and then click on the paperclip to a paper icon next to the blue undo arrow. There you can drop desktop photos into your thread. Good luck.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I post a lot...

I can't remember if the 94 fixed the recurring shudder going from third to fourth. It would go away after a fluid change but come back eventually. A plate trans cooler solved the problem for good. I believe you still have the torque converter drain plug in 94.

Get a nice heavy rear sway bar. You will like that. Better handling without a harsh ride.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

Heres a pic dont have many at the moment
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200328_142451.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	186.4 KB 
ID:	53776  

As for the rear axle, check the vin tag on the door. Should be a 2 character axle code on the vin tag. Then check this thread: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...258-Axle-Codes

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I didnt feel a shudder on the 2hour drive home, but should it have a trans cooler i can delete for a larger one? Also by bigger sway bar do you mean the ppv crown vics bar?

Lightbulb

Its says AX and under it has a y, meaning open and 3.08 gears yes? Sorry a bit slow lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200328_212721.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	121.0 KB 
ID:	53777  

Ah... single character codes... yes, Y should be 3.08 open. Highway gears as it were.

I think only tow package/performance package cars got the extra trans cooler. You should only have the base trans cooler that's built into the radiator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

I post a lot...

Yes all automatic cars have a trans cooler typically in the radiator or more recently in the condenser. I did mean an aux cooler. Back then I just added the ford aux cooler from the dealer but there are many options.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

I went ahead and bought a universal motorcraft old stock one off of ebay, what trans fluid do these take, ive read some conflicting arguements wheather mercronV is ok and mercronlll

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

originally was Dexron III / Mercon, its now Mercon V. The V fixes the converter shudder problem.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

It prevents the problem rather than fixing it. yeah... some antics (semantics).

Im going to do a tune up on the lincoln soon and was wondering if its worth putting a k&n filter in, if theres any noticable gains, power or mpg wise, thanks for answering all my question as well! By the way by k&n filter i mean the ones that go right in the old box
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 03-31-2020 at 11:33 PM.

fomoco panthers !

Don't waste your money on a K&N filter. Yes it seems to breath a little better and a slight gas mileage increase. You have to treat the filter maybe once a year or so. Based on what I have read, K&N filters do not filter fine sand well. Might cause more damage then they are worth. I had one on my 96 CVPI for a few years until I read up on what they do. Some people over saturate the filters when they respray them causing problems.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

agreed, waste of money. Project Farm on youtube did some filter tests and found that the K&N is less restrictive but also lets more fine particles through. I'll take a bit of restriction to not be sand blasting the inside of my engine.

There is a small restrictor thing at the inlet of the air box. Remove that if you want it to sound faster.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

After posting i did watch that project farms video, now especially in iowa none of my cars will have k&n, and i bought a snake tube style cooler by accident, the plate and fin design is what i want yes? Also how big is to big, i dont run it hard, just lots of stop and go, low speed crusing.
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 04-02-2020 at 01:06 AM.

I post a lot...

Both styles will cool.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Both styles work... the plate coolers just work better. I've had both on my 93 since the first rebuild and only the torque converter has needed to be replaced in the past 150K miles... and that was after 100K miles of weak sauce stock shifting burning up the lock-up clutch. I have the new clutch tuned to pretty much pound gears (as much as the stock valve body will allow) so it's firm shifting and firm lock-up engagement now and with the plate cooler... 3500 pound trailer at 75mph on the highway with the 3.55 rear gears is no issue.

Im looking at spark plugs on rock auto at the moment and was wondering, one plug said "replaces oe half thread design" what does that mean, ive never owned one of these ohc monsters also i read about these early 4.6 cars dont like anything but copper plugs, if anyone here has any experience with that
    Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 04-02-2020 at 11:54 PM.

The original spark plugs only had four threads, all new replacements will have eight, but will only utilize the lower four.

The system is also waste spark, so you'd want to use double platinum in the engine, not copper. If you're wanting Motorcraft, everything lists a Finewire single platinum, which isn't really correct. A proper double platinum plug that will work for that engine is Motorcraft SP541 (AGSF32YRA). While that plug isn't listed for the application, it meets heat range and design specifications, and should give you no trouble. Typically I stick NGK in my stuff, but that's just preference.

My Cars:
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1989 Sable LS Wagon (88,710 Miles) - Sold
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (210K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast