1994 lincoln town car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87GrandMarq View Post
    The aode and 4r70w are the same transmission. The aode is a little different than the 4r70w and shares the same gear ratios as the aod. But for all intents and purposes they are the same transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Nope. the W in 4r70w means wide ratio gears. The AODE uses even ratio gears.

AODE ratios:
    First: 2.47:1
    Second: 1.47:1
    Third: 1.00:1
    Overdrive: 0.67:1
    Reverse: 2.00:1

4R70W ratios:
    First: 2.84 :1
    Second: 1.55 :1
    Third: 1.00 :1
    Overdrive: 0.70 :1
    Reverse: 2.32 :1

Yes, they will bolt up, but the electrical connector is different as well and even the shift linkage is different.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      Nope. the W in 4r70w means wide ratio gears. The AODE uses even ratio gears.

AODE ratios:
      First: 2.47:1
      Second: 1.47:1
      Third: 1.00:1
      Overdrive: 0.67:1
      Reverse: 2.00:1

4R70W ratios:
      First: 2.84 :1
      Second: 1.55 :1
      Third: 1.00 :1
      Overdrive: 0.70 :1
      Reverse: 2.32 :1

Yes, they will bolt up, but the electrical connector is different as well and even the shift linkage is different.
      I guess I worded it funny but I meant the aod and aode have the same gear ratios. I am aware of the differences in the transmissions however I had not known the shift linkages were different.

Comment

yeah... AODE and AOD have the same gearset, but the bell housings are different, the E is electronically controlled, only one shift linkage, no TV cable as shift pressure is controlled by solenoids internally and the fluid cooling lines are reversed (output, return).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

The bellhousing pattern is the same between a few models however. But yes you are correct.

Comment

Maybe from other vehicles, but not in CV/GM/TC. AOD all use small block Ford while AODE uses Ford modular. The overlap with 4.6L and AOD was in 91/92 TC and 92 CV/GM but the 4.6L in that overlap used a small block Ford bell housing pattern so the AOD transmission didn't have a modular bell housing and the AODE didn't have a small block housing as far as the panther platform is concerned at least.

Comment

So wait the top trans line in the rad is the in and the bottom is the out?

Comment

Sorry I should’ve clarified yes in other vehicles and no on the panthers. In the mustang the 94-95 used the aode with a sbf bellhousing pattern while the 96+ had the modular bellhousing pattern.

Comment

Originally posted by 82EmilioPucci View Post
                  So wait the top trans line in the rad is the in and the bottom is the out?
                  I'm talking about on the body of the transmission, not the radiator. I'd have to go trace that out again to remind myself which is which on the radiator. I know on my 93 the top is the return on the radiator (which goes to an aux trans cooler and then back to the trans).

Comment

So, ive go it on a lift now, putting more or less a whole new from suspension under it, i was feeling around in the frame boxes the drives has just a little dust in it and the passenger has some paint and a little metal in it, i think, is there a good like spray that can get all the walls of that, or just like bed liner or something

Comment

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-in...z-aerosol.html
                      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yup,
                        Just used this product recently, I was skeptical but it actually worked great.
                        I found that bending some tig filler rod around the nozzle helped to extend the nozzle and help pull it through the frame rails.

If your car has the aluminum intake with the violin case, eventually you might end up getting EGR codes caused by blockage in a small passage under the intake elbow at the rear of the engine.

Comment

Thank you, shipping was a little rough, but it looks grear, thanks

Comment

i dont have any egr codes yet, but that will help later lol
                            Last edited by 82EmilioPucci; 07-18-2020, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 82EmilioPucci View Post
                              i dont have any egr codes yet, but that will help later lol
                              I went through it on mine, threw a bunch of parts at it. No joy.
                              Ended up being those clogged passages and cost basically nothing lol

Comment

Just got done putting over a grand into it, figured i clean it up good, used the mothers ceramic spray coating, it makes it shine!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X