Ignition cylinder getting stuck between off and run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition cylinder getting stuck between off and run

Started a couple of days ago. When I shut the car off, the cylinder has been getting stuck in the position between run and off, taking a bit of effort to turn it to remove the key. Any ideas? This is on my ‘90 Grand Marquis in case there is any important differences between those and earlier steering columns.
    —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Does it get easier to turn if you jiggle the steering wheel?

Comment

Shift tube bushing has warn out and slid out if place. When it does this it blocks the locking mechanism which prevents you from removing the key. That's why sometimes shifting in and out of gears can sometimes work. That shifting movement can sometimes get that bushing out of the way.

It's a pretty easy job and my replacement bushings lasted at least 5 years/50k+ miles before wearing out and and occasionally catching the lock mechanism. There is another style shift tube that had a collar that prevents the bushing from moving and blocking the lock mechanism. I'm not sure if it was a factory part or a replacement part.

I'll see what info I can dig up.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Pictuers:
        Here is my shift tube bushing. It's supposed to be under that cap held down by the two T30 or T35 torx bolts (like the other one half is).

Here is a picture of someone else's shift tube with the design that doesn't allow that bushing to slip out like mine did.

The one that is not mine belongs to Stealthlead. Both cars are '91 model year, but mine was built 11/90, so perhaps his is a later build or perhaps his shift tube was replaced at some point.

Also looks like mine was more like 7years/70k+ miles before the Dorman replacement bushings started to wear.

Following steps 1, maybe 2-3, and 7-10 of the '90+ heater core writeup along with removing the ignition cylinder (in order to remove the steering column shrouds) should get you to those bushings.
        Attached Files
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

1990-2004 Taurus platform &Panther platform at least use these shifter bushings. Hot climates bake these bushings and give you a sloppy shiter like you mentioned Vic - or just, age.. My Florida 03 the bushings were dust. Replaced them made it shift like new.

John you may want to take the ignition tumbler out and feel how the ignition turns by hand to make sure you don't have another issue.
          -Nick M.
          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Thanks for the help. I have a new set of shift tube bushings somewhere in my parts stash. Still going through moving boxes, so I may not find them for a week or two. The ignition cylinder is a NOS piece I installed last year, so I'd be surprised if there is anything wrong with it.
            —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
            1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
            1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
            1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Working...
            X