‘01 Blend door actuator replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

‘01 Blend door actuator replacement...

Enjoy my frustration! Lol. Please continue to like, share and sub if you haven’t already. Thanks guys, enjoy!

'85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Any dash work is unpleasant.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I did it pretty much the same way on my '02. Except I also took the glovebox out. I had one hell of a time getting the vent duct bolts out and back in and getting the vent duct back in. It came out a lot easier than it went in. As far as the actuator itself I was able to get the front right bolt out, then I slid a chisel along the front edge and broke the plastic around the front left bolt. One of the rear two holes goes around a plastic post not a bolt, I wasn't able to get the rear bolt so I just broke the plastic around it. Then I trimmed the holes on the new actuator like you did and installed it that way.

Just for the heck of it I took the old actuator apart to see if I could see what was wrong with it. Prior to removal it just made a clicking sound but no movement. I never did find the issue with the actuator but it seemed fully intact with no stripped gears. I'm guessing maybe the positioning sensor in them goes bad with time and that's why they clunk around. All in all it took me about 3.5 hours including the time I spent searching for the 2.5" 1/4" drive extension and socket I lost somewhere in the dash. I never did find it.
      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

I really think those vent duct bolts pissed me off the most! Lol. I didn’t even want to film myself screwing around with them! These things are clearly designed to be assembled as a unit, then installed in the car.
        '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
          I really think those vent duct bolts pissed me off the most! Lol. I didn’t even want to film myself screwing around with them! These things are clearly designed to be assembled as a unit, then installed in the car.
          The whole being assembled as a unit then installed was something I quickly reallized. I'm just glad that extension and socket I lost in the dash hasn't been rattling around. I find rattling dashboards extremely annoying.
          2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

​

Comment

OH! I cannot believe that battery is still kickin'
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              OH! I cannot believe that battery is still kickin'
              Me either! It’ll probably take a month to charge when the time comes! Lol

Comment

The accessory that you don't have is a clock, I have a clock in that spot in my '98 MGM.

It's nice that the dash is basically the same as the '90-'91 box dashes with few changes. I was wondering if you would be able to get the two BDA bolts by the firewall. On the boxes I just pull the whole dash and this job is basically a couple steps short of replacing the heater core. No passenger side airbag to remove and gain access on the boxes though.

Since I have very little experience with much of anything newer than 1991, I enjoyed the video to get a crash course on how some of this stuff is assembled/disassembled.

I am curious to see how well replacing the o-rings goes for you on your pre-'03 unit. In '03 the vacuum actuator assembly was changed and is much easier to work with when it comes to replacing those o-rings. Since buying that actuator assembly is cheaper at the JY than buying the whole control head, I retrofit the '03+ vacuum assembly ('03+'04 for sure) to my stock control head ('98 MGM and '97 LTC control head in my '91 MGM The Ice Car).
                http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post839773
                http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post760512
                Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                  The accessory that you don't have is a clock, I have a clock in that spot in my '98 MGM.

It's nice that the dash is basically the same as the '90-'91 box dashes with few changes. I was wondering if you would be able to get the two BDA bolts by the firewall. On the boxes I just pull the whole dash and this job is basically a couple steps short of replacing the heater core. No passenger side airbag to remove and gain access on the boxes though.

Since I have very little experience with much of anything newer than 1991, I enjoyed the video to get a crash course on how some of this stuff is assembled/disassembled.

I am curious to see how well replacing the o-rings goes for you on your pre-'03 unit. In '03 the vacuum actuator assembly was changed and is much easier to work with when it comes to replacing those o-rings. Since buying that actuator assembly is cheaper at the JY than buying the whole control head, I retrofit the '03+ vacuum assembly ('03+'04 for sure) to my stock control head ('98 MGM and '97 LTC control head in my '91 MGM The Ice Car).
                  http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post839773
                  http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post760512

I figured it was most likely a clock that I don’t have. I’ve not yet replaced the o-rings on one of these control heads, so it should be interesting.

Comment

I also have not done o-rings. All three Eatc cars I've had have been fine. I plan on my '02 staying that way.

​

Comment

Working...
                    X