Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'88 Box by accident....

Hi Folks,

I recently got hold of a '88 LTD CV (yeah, no GM...) for small change.

It used to live in Arizona until it came to Europe in '18.
    I took a look at it in Dec last year and figured, that I don't need another project. In Jan '20 a friend had a deal with the seller on 3 other cars, and I said, well, for less than 50% of its original asking price, I'd even take the LTD CV. Guess what, 15 min later I got a short text: "congrats!".

Being a real Mopar guy (69 Charger, 69 A100, 79 MB400 Camper), this is all new to me. Nonetheless, I wanna take care of the LTD CV as good as I can.
    So please be kind, kick me for my Mopar attribution if you feel its needed (but it won't change...)

Maybe its a good start for my niece to get around town with that box.
    Take a look here

And thanks for letting me join.

Welcome.

Biggest thing with a new to you box is to check the TV bushing. It’s a plastic bushing that lives on the throttle body lever that connects to a cable that runs down to the trans. Known to be failure prone, if the plastic bushing fails, it’s short time before the transmission fails.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7303A/87-93...le-Bushing-Kit

A metal replacement is a good option.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome!

Nice to see another member from Europe.
      Good luck and reliable miles with your CV!
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
      1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Nothing wrong with MoPar. It's not like a Ford product knows its a Ford any more than a Chrysler knows and or is proud of itself being a Chrysler. They were built by people like you and me, thats the bottom line. I tend to like the Ford variants better than the Mercury variants. Although a Mercury is a fine car. That's the car I was driving that day.. I rolled the windows down with e'lectric power...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Cool lookin car. Hope it works out for you. I've owned cars from the big 3 from the 60s-90s and have found Ford products to be better built overall. Once you correct the fatal flaws.

In addition to the metal bushing mentioned above I would flush out the heater core, easy to do at the firewall with a garden hose and can save having to take the dash apart. Especially a car from arizona, out West people often put tap water in the radiator to save money in the heat, and the water can be hard out there.

Also from Arizona I'd make sure all the vacuum lines and plastic pieces in the engine system are in good shape so the engine runs smooth, before going too crazy dumping money into extraneous things like appearance.

I lived in germany and never owned a car, got around on a motorcycle for 4 years, sometimes sliding on my ass over frozen cobbles...
          96 MGM
          sigpic
          Cruisin up and down the road...

Comment

Welcome! I too am a MOPAR guy at heart. I have a Hemi Superbird and a Hemi Daytona convertible. I have 3 Colony Park wagons so I guess that is why I am accepted here! LOL! WagonMan
            89 Colony Park
            90 Colony Park
            70 HEMI Daytona Convertible

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              Welcome.

Biggest thing with a new to you box is to check the TV bushing. It’s a plastic bushing that lives on the throttle body lever that connects to a cable that runs down to the trans. Known to be failure prone, if the plastic bushing fails, it’s short time before the transmission fails.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7303A/87-93...le-Bushing-Kit

A metal replacement is a good option.
              And the tech article about it with pictures: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Also a highly neglected part is the PCV screen. It lives below the valve and it gets clogged.
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Well that I call a hearty welcome - thanks a lot, guys.

Good tips to take care of - thanks again.

And, jaywish - you from Yonkers? Used to live in Larchmont 20 years ago

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the new ride.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome aboard!

How hard are parts to come by in Germany?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Parts are pretty easy. Rockauto is one of my preferred suppliers. Shipping is a little more than in the lower 50s, but thats ok. If I want, parts are here within 2-3 days (question of need vs funds available

And there are some shops here in Germany with usually sufficient stock.

Comment

Welcome. Being from AZ it should be fairly nice. I've grown to hate rust, especially now that I own two former southern cars and realize what working on vehicles without rot and stuck bolts is like.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            Welcome. Being from AZ it should be fairly nice. I've grown to hate rust, especially now that I own two former southern cars and realize what working on vehicles without rot and stuck bolts is like.
                            That's one of the reasons I like living down here... my 27 year old daily has almost no rust on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

More than 2 years.... sorry folks.

But today I passed roadworthyness test and emissions test perfectly. Registered as historic vehicle.

What has happened meanwhile?

At first, not much. A lot of work with our C-Class camper (a 79 Dodge MB400 base)... Then, I figured, that the box would be a great deal of car for my niece (18, just finishing her drivers license) as a starter. And time went by, so I had to hurry. New gears in the rear windows, new lights according to local regulations (H4), different park light setup (white to the front is a must - amber not allowed), all new bulbs (except one all were bust). Checked on all ball joints/steering/axle bushings. Almost shot, but still ok (except upper BJ -> replaced). Rest as a ToDo for my niece Further, the gear selector was shot, I constructed something with thin brass around the plastic. That screw on the steering column is bad to reach... And the gear selector was not in line with the trans - adjusted, good.
                              Also, new PCV including the screen (who the f**k constructed that position of the PCV??) and a new hose. New Vacuum Switch, new IAC, new EGR sensor, new Air Filter, two new catalytic converters. Replaced a check valve for secondary air, took the air/smog pump apart, cleaned it thoroughly (lots and lots of carbon build up - it just didnt turn anymore), put together plus new belts. Lubed all joints (replacing some check balls) and cleaned the whole thing up, then called it a day and passed the tests.

It is even going faster than the odometer "allows" on the Autobahn - almost 90mph (I had to leave the Autobahn, there was still some power left) and a really decent, smooth ride. Wow, I was impressed (the youngest car in my lot is a 79 Chrysler LeBaron as daily ride)
                              (the smallish black car in our driveway is a Seat Ibiza, my wife's ride - just google it and you'll get an idea on what crap is running around here all over. That thing is smaller than the VW Rabbit/Golf...)

Comment

Working...
                              X