PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: '88 Box by accident....

n00b

Default '88 Box by accident....

Hi Folks,

I recently got hold of a '88 LTD CV (yeah, no GM...) for small change.

It used to live in Arizona until it came to Europe in '18.
    I took a look at it in Dec last year and figured, that I don't need another project. In Jan '20 a friend had a deal with the seller on 3 other cars, and I said, well, for less than 50% of its original asking price, I'd even take the LTD CV. Guess what, 15 min later I got a short text: "congrats!".

Being a real Mopar guy (69 Charger, 69 A100, 79 MB400 Camper), this is all new to me. Nonetheless, I wanna take care of the LTD CV as good as I can.
    So please be kind, kick me for my Mopar attribution if you feel its needed (but it won't change...)

Maybe its a good start for my niece to get around town with that box.
    Take a look here

And thanks for letting me join.

Welcome.

Biggest thing with a new to you box is to check the TV bushing. It’s a plastic bushing that lives on the throttle body lever that connects to a cable that runs down to the trans. Known to be failure prone, if the plastic bushing fails, it’s short time before the transmission fails.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7303A/87-93...le-Bushing-Kit

A metal replacement is a good option.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Welcome!

Nice to see another member from Europe.
    Good luck and reliable miles with your CV!
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Nothing wrong with MoPar. It's not like a Ford product knows its a Ford any more than a Chrysler knows and or is proud of itself being a Chrysler. They were built by people like you and me, thats the bottom line. I tend to like the Ford variants better than the Mercury variants. Although a Mercury is a fine car. That's the car I was driving that day.. I rolled the windows down with e'lectric power...
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Gonna buy me a Mercury BoulevardRide's Avatar

Cool lookin car. Hope it works out for you. I've owned cars from the big 3 from the 60s-90s and have found Ford products to be better built overall. Once you correct the fatal flaws.

In addition to the metal bushing mentioned above I would flush out the heater core, easy to do at the firewall with a garden hose and can save having to take the dash apart. Especially a car from arizona, out West people often put tap water in the radiator to save money in the heat, and the water can be hard out there.

Also from Arizona I'd make sure all the vacuum lines and plastic pieces in the engine system are in good shape so the engine runs smooth, before going too crazy dumping money into extraneous things like appearance.

I lived in germany and never owned a car, got around on a motorcycle for 4 years, sometimes sliding on my ass over frozen cobbles...
    96 MGM

Cruisin up and down the road...

Welcome! I too am a MOPAR guy at heart. I have a Hemi Superbird and a Hemi Daytona convertible. I have 3 Colony Park wagons so I guess that is why I am accepted here! LOL! WagonMan
    1990 Colony Park
    1970 HEMI Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Welcome.

Biggest thing with a new to you box is to check the TV bushing. It’s a plastic bushing that lives on the throttle body lever that connects to a cable that runs down to the trans. Known to be failure prone, if the plastic bushing fails, it’s short time before the transmission fails.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-7303A/87-93...le-Bushing-Kit

A metal replacement is a good option.
    And the tech article about it with pictures: http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

I post a lot...

Also a highly neglected part is the PCV screen. It lives below the valve and it gets clogged.
    "X" car 89 Colony Park LS Mods>Engine delete, SS duals magnaflow hflow cats, 2010 Must GT mufflers, auto air shocks, Posi, Tran cooler, big front brakes, 03+ rear disks, Large 3g alt, Tripminder, GS grill, 86 seats, 16" HPP wheels, winter boots=96 Cartier wheels, 215-65/16 Goodyear ULTRA GW3 snows, pi rear sway, alum driveshaft.
    03 Marauder DBP, HS, 6disk, Organizer, Silver Stars, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector.
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated Cooper Zeon RS3-A, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17

n00b

Thumbs up

Well that I call a hearty welcome - thanks a lot, guys.

Good tips to take care of - thanks again.

And, jaywish - you from Yonkers? Used to live in Larchmont 20 years ago

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the new ride.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Welcome aboard!

How hard are parts to come by in Germany?

n00b

Parts are pretty easy. Rockauto is one of my preferred suppliers. Shipping is a little more than in the lower 50s, but thats ok. If I want, parts are here within 2-3 days (question of need vs funds available

And there are some shops here in Germany with usually sufficient stock.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

Welcome. Being from AZ it should be fairly nice. I've grown to hate rust, especially now that I own two former southern cars and realize what working on vehicles without rot and stuck bolts is like.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Quote Originally Posted by gadget73 View Post
    Welcome. Being from AZ it should be fairly nice. I've grown to hate rust, especially now that I own two former southern cars and realize what working on vehicles without rot and stuck bolts is like.
    That's one of the reasons I like living down here... my 27 year old daily has almost no rust on it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.