Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mustang Shorty Headers

Has anybody tried them?

I assume you are talking about putting them in a box.They fit the car you will have to make custom engine pipes to fit the flanges or use a fox body mustang h pipe & make custom extension pipes to the mufflers.

Comment

Nah; been there, done that. This would be the BBK shorties for a ‘96-‘02 Mustang in my ‘05 MGM. At this time; I’m willing to put a little effort into making it work if those headers are not tooo much trouble

Comment

Yeah they fit... cant remeber the guys name, might have been quickvic30 or something like that, not sure but from what i gathered, he moved the engine up and forward maybe inch or so??? Cant remember, its been a long time scince i spoke to the guy about it. Ill have to dig through my fb stuff and see.
        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Also for a box bbk 1515s and bbk x pipe fit quite niceley
          89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Yes, I had the BBK 1515 and the matching H-pipe on the '86 CV. They bolted up, but that H-pipe would hang way too low and would hit the pavement with moderate bumps and potholes. Can't complain too much as they lasted 9 years before coming apart.

So the BBK shorties for WHales still require moving things? Perhaps I will wait and see if I can save up for the Stainless Works headers; and build an exhaust for the '05 MGM.

Comment

If you're handy with a pipe cutter and welder... just take about 2-3 inches off the down pipes and the exhaust will tuck nicely.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Is that for Mustang long tubes; or shorty headers? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

From what I've seen with the long tubes; it requires some massaging of the driver side primaries to clear the steering; and raising the passenger side of the engine 1/4" to clear the suspension. The hammering part wouldn't be a problem; but raising the engine on one side seems a little sketch.
                Last edited by packman; 04-03-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Down pipes for shorties. For the long tubes, you'd have to be a lot better with the cutting and welding to tuck things.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well, if it's a matter of getting down pipes to fit, then I'm all for it. I also have to see if the shorties fit with the 4R70W. Other than that, I may consider this a possibility; gotta be better than the stock manifolds.

Comment

Skip the shorties, not worth it.

Check out the OBX or whatever they're called now for longtubes. I've love to do the StainlessWorks headers but can't justify the price right now. Seen some good reviews about the knockoffs.

It's a PITA to get longtubes on the whales. I've been researching this for quite some time. In the end it seems worth it if you have the patience and can afford the massive downtime it needs to be installed properly.
                      These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

I was considering the SW long tubes myself up until recently; now they are just not feasible. I looked up the OBX longtubes and they are doable, but they are just shy of $1k which is a good amount of $$$ now. And last time I was at the junkyard, I couldn't find any Whales with dual exhaust; so I may just cut the single exhaust off one of them and using it as a pattern to build a 3" single exhaust. I think shorties, high flow cats, and a single 3" system should work better than my exhaust manifolds and single 2" system that I got now.

Comment

Just for comparison sake, crown vic exhaust manifolds on the outside, 1997 mustang manifolds on the inside. Flange angle, clocking are different.Maybe flange size as well. Hard to tell from this photo (not my photo).

Alex.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X