My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes: must drive!!!

Got the rear seat bottom done last week. Got the rear seat back done tonight. I think! Won't know if I am happy until I put them in the car.

The padding from NPD was pretty good, maybe a little thin. The TMI seat covers are also pretty nice. You have to pull hard... be careful where you pull. I started to rip a seam but it is hidden and is holding on.

Some pics from the top and back mixed up.

Tough to get the lines to match. Had to readjust. This is the result. Not perfect but close enough for me at this point.

Putting seat belts in the rear later this week as well as side panels back there. Then the seat can go in and we'll see how it actually looks in the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

You've done an incredible job on this! What cruiser for you and the family to enjoy!
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Great job! Looks professional

Comment

Looks really nice.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Seat looks awesome! Makes me want to get the tools and learn how to do that for the door panels on the CV

Comment

Thanks guys. The front seats are supposed to be a PITA to make right. Gotta give the wife credit on helping me with the seats so far.

Packman - as far as door panels, I'll be buying the ones for this. I watched some videos on making custom ones... I would definitely need to practice. Since they are available for this, it's much more time and really cost effective to buy them. Don't have that option with a box, however.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Just a hint on working with vinyl. Work in a warm room. and keep the vinyl as warm as possible. Easier to work with. Sometimes a hair dryer on low or medium can help with stretching. Don't get the dryer too close to the vinyl. Here is an idea on the front seat bottoms. IF you have plenty material at the bottom. Add more padding to the seat bottoms. Test fit before final assembly.
                You did an very good job !
                I had a 68 Ford LTD with that color interior.

Comment

Have a steamer? I hear that can also help relax some of the vinyl..should give you some stretch too. Can steam out any wrinkles that may have occurred as well.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I had two 80+ degree days and full sun to help on the back seat. It definitely made a huge difference than trying it the night before in the cooler garage.

I want the full look and feel on the front buckets. The front uses foam instead of padding. Going to see about the foam in those and whether to replace it or not. I suspect I will replace it. Those seats are some I picked up and threw into storage. I do know they need seat covers but otherwise I haven't looked at them. I've heard the TMI foam is pretty good. There is another foam manufacturer that is supposed even better in quality of foam, but their 68 design is not as good per forum posts I've found (American Cushion Industries). I had the hair dryer in mind (thanks honey haha). Don't have a steamer but I have also heard that's the best bet.

Worked on prepping the area in the back for the rear seat. Package tray installed. Trunk divider installed. Ran out of glue for some of the insulation. To be continued...

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Excellent job on the rear seat! No one makes a kit for those, so it’s entirely up to us to get the necessary pieces and do it right. Did your seat frames have any rust on them? The frames from my ‘66 are incredibly rusty.
                      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Yes, the steamer is another tool that is good. I have used it on the old bow type headliners. Steamer was good for the corners.

Comment

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
                          Excellent job on the rear seat! No one makes a kit for those, so it’s entirely up to us to get the necessary pieces and do it right. Did your seat frames have any rust on them? The frames from my ‘66 are incredibly rusty.
                          Got the front seats out of storage and stripped the drivers bottom down. Frame is rustier than the rear but serviceable. I will probably wire wheel it and put some paint on it. How bad is your rust?

In other news, the carb is leaking between the top and bottom parts. Causing it to run a little rich. The contact pattern on the gasket looks decent except a little too thin. Decided Hot Pockets cardboard was thicker. No idea if this will work but worth a shot... to be continued.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Good repurposing idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                              Got the front seats out of storage and stripped the drivers bottom down. Frame is rustier than the rear but serviceable. I will probably wire wheel it and put some paint on it. How bad is your rust?

In other news, the carb is leaking between the top and bottom parts. Causing it to run a little rich. The contact pattern on the gasket looks decent except a little too thin. Decided Hot Pockets cardboard was thicker. No idea if this will work but worth a shot... to be continued.

They’re pretty bad. Rear seat is just as bad. A wire wheel isn’t going to cut it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	C84F9D1A-E4B5-49DE-A5D6-1490242ECD1F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	436.6 KB
ID:	1289046 Click image for larger version

Name:	84AC2415-E2AB-4156-A8E9-95286DE87B22.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1,020.4 KB
ID:	1289047
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Is there somewhere you can have them media blasted ?

Comment

Working...
                                X