PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Got bad news today. Was finishing up the driver seat backrest and a seam came apart. Upon closer inspection, it seemed it was made incorrectly instead of an error on my part. I inspected the passenger side cover, right out of the box it had the same problem.

Called TMI. They want nothing to do with me since I ordered from NPD, even though TMI says there is a one year warranty. NPD is promising to take care of me and get two new ones on the way from TMI ASAP. TMI is back ordered 3-6 months on orders, so no more seat progress until something arrives.

Ordered some of those R12 replacement refrigerants, which are now sold as "R134a replacements" here in the US. Enviro-safe is the brand. Mostly propane/butane I think. Tracking the shipping, I found it got damaged alone the way. Wonder if one of the cans exploded?

Whenever the refrigerant arrives, I will charge the A/C...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

fomoco panthers !

Does the company want the covers back ? It looks like the manufacturer used low quality thread. If you can keep the covers, you could take them to an upholstery shop to be fixed. A patient person can use the same holes. If you have to send them back, check the new ones out carefully before shipping the old ones back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Does the company want the covers back ? It looks like the manufacturer used low quality thread. If you can keep the covers, you could take them to an upholstery shop to be fixed. A patient person can use the same holes. If you have to send them back, check the new ones out carefully before shipping the old ones back.
    So far, they don't want the old ones. Good idea just in case something falls through with getting replacements. I was afraid they would want the whole set back and I would be back to square one on my seats. I am getting faster though... I will actually know how to do this by the time I am done!

GMN Box Panther History

Yeah, using an awl or "stock needle" as I call them, and some HD black thread, same holes, it would be something to try while watching TV one night. They even have curved needles, but they can bite if you forget it's curved.
    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

New seat covers arrived. Installed and all looks pretty good. NPD is picking up the defective ones.

New carpet arrived but it was cut pile instead of the loop I ordered. RockAuto sent the replacement and it should be here today.

Charged the A/C today. Used "Enviro-safe Industrial R-134a Replacement", which is a propane/butane mix as far as a I can tell. One can got it cooling good before lunch which really surprised me. Ate lunch, took it back out for a drive but didn't get as cold. Checked the pressures again and they were a little low. 10psi on the low side and 150psi in the high side. Added another can. Now running around 30psi low and 200psi high side at 80 degrees out. That cleared up the sight glass and improved cooling but the verdict is still out. Not going to add any more until I know it's not leaking out. 1968 air conditioning may not be what I am used to.

Edit: just went for a longer test drive. With max cool, medium fan I was able to get about 48 degrees out of the vents. I'd really prefer a little cooler. The evaporator has a sensor that cuts out the clutch when the evaporator temp sensor drops below a certain point. I did hear it cycling the clutch on occasion, so I think it's doing close to the best it can. The expansion valve is new and calibrated to 134a, so that may have something to do with it as well.
    Last edited by Tiggie; 06-25-2021 at 04:19 PM.

GMN Box Panther History

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

make sure the sensor is where it belongs too. Depending on the exact mix the freeze points of the refrigerants may not be quite the same, but with an expansion valve the low side pressure should be pretty much constant and the high side will just be what it is depending what the valve is commanding and how efficient the condenser is. R12 pressures are a smidgen lower than R134a ones too so it may be slightly less than optimal if the Enviro-Safe is closer to R12 properties than R134a.

honestly even if it doesn't get cold enough for your nipples to cut glass, get out of a car that makes ~50 degree vent air when its 90 and swampy and you'll notice the difference.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I just need to it cool enough to keep the main passenger happy (the wife)! The more I think about it, the more I think the compressor and goodies are doing their job. Drips a lot of water, and with the pressures I think it's close. I may have a slight problem with something in the heater box. It's got some adjustments I can mess with the blend doors. Didn't even try defrost settings. I will experiment some more.

GMN Box Panther History

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

don't suppose the X valve has an external adjustment? If you can tweak it so the low side pressure is in the 20-25 range it will get a bit colder.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Have not messed with the A/C any more but that was because I didn't have any seats installed to drive it.

Fought with the carpet and mostly won. This particular ACC carpet looks great but the fit left some to be desired. This was further complicated by not having the original carpet to pattern from.

Been working on the front seats for some time and finally finished those up. Pretty pleased. I would do upholstery again. Definitely not that hard to install padding and seat covers. No way in heck I can sew something from scratch however. Those guys are artists.

Cleaned and painted frame.

The burlap on the top and bottom has some wires in sleeves. The wife made them for me based on what was left of the originals.

Burlap with wire reinforcement and frame padding was next.

There is a heavy wire that goes down next. It's what the foam and upholstery listing wires attach to.

Attaching listing wires, then to wrap it over. Attach to frame and its done.

Carpet and new seat belts installed.

Seats installed.

Very pleased with how they came out.

Part of me wishes I had done the parchment interior this car came with. None of the reproduction colors are correct for that and look all dirty... so it got black instead.

Really heading down the home stretch here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

fomoco panthers !

Looking great ! Your doing excellent work. Better than any shop would.

Indeed it is and yes you are!

Just look at this hack job Rustang:
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Quote Originally Posted by Mainemantom View Post
    Looking great ! Your doing excellent work. Better than any shop would.
    Thank you. I know there are some good shops out there but no way I could afford them.

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Indeed it is and yes you are!

Just look at this hack job Rustang:
    Oh man. What a mess. And someone has spent some serious cash to get it to that point. One thing I hear over and over again is, shop around for a shop. I try to do everything myself to keep from being unhappy with someone else's work.

GMN Box Panther History

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Mustang looks awesome inside and out! Real head turner for sure.

That interior looks great!
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Mustang looks awesome inside and out! Real head turner for sure.
    Thanks. Part of me wishes it was a Mercury Comet Station wagon. I am a sick person.

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    That interior looks great!
    Thank you. The seats are fairly comfortable. When you do yours, are you planning on an original style seat?

GMN Box Panther History

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    Thank you. The seats are fairly comfortable. When you do yours, are you planning on an original style seat?
    I think so. If anything, I may go with the TMI sport seats (less extreme-looking bolstering than their Sport II seats).

My car originally came with a standard black interior, but I’ve been thinking here and there of what it would look like with and ivy deluxe interior. I think it would go very well with the original Sauterne Gold metallic.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    I think so. If anything, I may go with the TMI sport seats (less extreme-looking bolstering than their Sport II seats).

My car originally came with a standard black interior, but I’ve been thinking here and there of what it would look like with and ivy deluxe interior. I think it would go very well with the original Sauterne Gold metallic.
    The sports seats look good. TMI sends free color samples. I like the black in this car okay, but it's so generic that I feel a difference color would have helped set it apart from more modern stuff. Can't just buy a modern car with blue or gold or green interior these days.

GMN Box Panther History

A/C is working pretty good now. Had better air when the car was cold, so I figured it was something to do with the heat getting by. Found the blend door was not fully closing off the heat. Adjusted that and we are getting 41 out of the vents now. I'm happy with that. The vents are metal and are sweating. The heater box is sweating too, so it's plenty cold. I either have an oil leak at the oil pressure sensor, or the lower fitting is leaking on the compressor. I snugged that up. There is an adaptor to make the newer o-ring compressor match up to the rotolock service valves. May need to get different service valves that fit directly.

GMN Box Panther History

Looking excellent in the cockpit Ben.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Looking excellent in the cockpit Ben.
    Thank you. Steering wheel is next.

But first... I noticed the passenger floorboard was soaked! It was draining correctly the other day. I don't see a problem, but it's possible I shifted the drain putting the carpet in. Drying it out and going to observe.

GMN Box Panther History

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast