My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
    They’re pretty bad. Rear seat is just as bad. A wire wheel isn’t going to cut it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]56315[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]56316[/ATTACH]
    Could also consider something like evaporust?
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Cereal boxes have saved me for years and years. I'd bet that works GREAT. I'm a fan of 'The right stuff' and I'd be inclined to put a micro bead of it on the surface of the carb to where it meets the gasket.

As far as the seats go.. There are really cheap soda blasting kits out there that attach to your pressure washer. Nothing but sodium bi-carbonate. Cheap. Effective.
      You can do it beside the garage or wherever and it's totally environmentally safe. The only thing I wouldn't use it under is show quality paint. For some reason it doesn't play well with perfect paint. Those seats are the perfect part for it..
      All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Is there somewhere you can have them media blasted ?
        Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
        Could also consider something like evaporust?
        I've thought about Evaporust. It's not cheap, though. And I would probably need a lot more of it than I have right now.

I've also been considering having the blaster that will take care of the car blast these as well. I still need to remove the remaining listing rods and hog rings, though. I've been putting that off.
        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Wow, yeah, beautiful car. Like David said, I love how it looks underhood. Absolutely fabulous. That color is amazing too. Read through the whole thread, good stuff.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Kind of finished the drivers seat bottom. A lot more going on here than the back.

The wires in the burlap were rotted. I replaced them with MIG wire.

The foam looked okay. I added a 1/2" of foam I picked up at Walmart on the side bolsters and full inch in the front. The middle section I left alone.

Vinyl went on tonight and fought me. Got it on. It's okay but I am not completely satisfied. The foam had a ripple in the front which you can still see. I will try to live with it. Otherwise I am okay with it even if it's not quite perfect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Got bad news today. Was finishing up the driver seat backrest and a seam came apart. Upon closer inspection, it seemed it was made incorrectly instead of an error on my part. I inspected the passenger side cover, right out of the box it had the same problem.

Called TMI. They want nothing to do with me since I ordered from NPD, even though TMI says there is a one year warranty. NPD is promising to take care of me and get two new ones on the way from TMI ASAP. TMI is back ordered 3-6 months on orders, so no more seat progress until something arrives.

Ordered some of those R12 replacement refrigerants, which are now sold as "R134a replacements" here in the US. Enviro-safe is the brand. Mostly propane/butane I think. Tracking the shipping, I found it got damaged alone the way. Wonder if one of the cans exploded?

Whenever the refrigerant arrives, I will charge the A/C...

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Does the company want the covers back ? It looks like the manufacturer used low quality thread. If you can keep the covers, you could take them to an upholstery shop to be fixed. A patient person can use the same holes. If you have to send them back, check the new ones out carefully before shipping the old ones back.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                  Does the company want the covers back ? It looks like the manufacturer used low quality thread. If you can keep the covers, you could take them to an upholstery shop to be fixed. A patient person can use the same holes. If you have to send them back, check the new ones out carefully before shipping the old ones back.
                  So far, they don't want the old ones. Good idea just in case something falls through with getting replacements. I was afraid they would want the whole set back and I would be back to square one on my seats. I am getting faster though... I will actually know how to do this by the time I am done!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Yeah, using an awl or "stock needle" as I call them, and some HD black thread, same holes, it would be something to try while watching TV one night. They even have curved needles, but they can bite if you forget it's curved.
                    No ... I'm not arguing with you ... I'm just explaining why I'm right ...

Now go ... and whatever you do ... have a safe trip!

Comment

New seat covers arrived. Installed and all looks pretty good. NPD is picking up the defective ones.

New carpet arrived but it was cut pile instead of the loop I ordered. RockAuto sent the replacement and it should be here today.

Charged the A/C today. Used "Enviro-safe Industrial R-134a Replacement", which is a propane/butane mix as far as a I can tell. One can got it cooling good before lunch which really surprised me. Ate lunch, took it back out for a drive but didn't get as cold. Checked the pressures again and they were a little low. 10psi on the low side and 150psi in the high side. Added another can. Now running around 30psi low and 200psi high side at 80 degrees out. That cleared up the sight glass and improved cooling but the verdict is still out. Not going to add any more until I know it's not leaking out. 1968 air conditioning may not be what I am used to.

Edit: just went for a longer test drive. With max cool, medium fan I was able to get about 48 degrees out of the vents. I'd really prefer a little cooler. The evaporator has a sensor that cuts out the clutch when the evaporator temp sensor drops below a certain point. I did hear it cycling the clutch on occasion, so I think it's doing close to the best it can. The expansion valve is new and calibrated to 134a, so that may have something to do with it as well.
                      Last edited by Tiggie; 06-25-2021, 04:19 PM.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

make sure the sensor is where it belongs too. Depending on the exact mix the freeze points of the refrigerants may not be quite the same, but with an expansion valve the low side pressure should be pretty much constant and the high side will just be what it is depending what the valve is commanding and how efficient the condenser is. R12 pressures are a smidgen lower than R134a ones too so it may be slightly less than optimal if the Enviro-Safe is closer to R12 properties than R134a.

honestly even if it doesn't get cold enough for your nipples to cut glass, get out of a car that makes ~50 degree vent air when its 90 and swampy and you'll notice the difference.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I just need to it cool enough to keep the main passenger happy (the wife)! The more I think about it, the more I think the compressor and goodies are doing their job. Drips a lot of water, and with the pressures I think it's close. I may have a slight problem with something in the heater box. It's got some adjustments I can mess with the blend doors. Didn't even try defrost settings. I will experiment some more.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

don't suppose the X valve has an external adjustment? If you can tweak it so the low side pressure is in the 20-25 range it will get a bit colder.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Have not messed with the A/C any more but that was because I didn't have any seats installed to drive it.

Fought with the carpet and mostly won. This particular ACC carpet looks great but the fit left some to be desired. This was further complicated by not having the original carpet to pattern from.

Been working on the front seats for some time and finally finished those up. Pretty pleased. I would do upholstery again. Definitely not that hard to install padding and seat covers. No way in heck I can sew something from scratch however. Those guys are artists.

Cleaned and painted frame.

The burlap on the top and bottom has some wires in sleeves. The wife made them for me based on what was left of the originals.

Burlap with wire reinforcement and frame padding was next.

There is a heavy wire that goes down next. It's what the foam and upholstery listing wires attach to.

Attaching listing wires, then to wrap it over. Attach to frame and its done.

Carpet and new seat belts installed.

Seats installed.

Very pleased with how they came out.

Part of me wishes I had done the parchment interior this car came with. None of the reproduction colors are correct for that and look all dirty... so it got black instead.

Really heading down the home stretch here.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Looking great ! Your doing excellent work. Better than any shop would.

Comment

Working...
                                X