PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Default My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Thought I'd start a thread to post about my 68 Mustang. I am a member on several Mustang forums, but I don't actively anything on them because Mustang people, especially online Mustang people, are not generally people I share any interest with other than the car body.

I bought this car in 2013 and have been working on it since, when time allows. Between the birth of two kids, taking care of a family, house, a job, and life in general, there hasn't been much time.

I don't expect I will post the entire saga, but here it is fresh off the rollback in Summer 2013

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI0373.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	114.5 KB 
ID:	53819

Name:	DSCI0374.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	110.3 KB 
ID:	53820

Name:	DSCI0375.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	53821

Name:	DSCI0376.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	99.4 KB 
ID:	53822

Name:	DSCI0377.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	108.4 KB 
ID:	53823

Name:	DSCI0378.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	100.7 KB 
ID:	53824

Got the Marti Report today. It looks very different here than when it did new. Apparently, it was a rental car in Florida.
    8F01C191017_dlxrpt.pdf

I dug into it a bit. The goal was to get it running and driving for a fun beat around car for a little while.

The motor was not original. It is a 302 from a 1970 F100, or at least that is my best guess. It ran when it came here but not well.

I had to retime the engine. The distributor was stuck and it was out of time, someone rotated the wires to make it run.

No PCV. Instead the valve cover was hooked directly to vacuum at the carb. No wonder it had no visible blowby.

Fix that, rebuilt the carb, and tune up stuff. It ran fine and sounded fine but had virtually no oil pressure. Maybe 30psi cold at 2500rpm. About 10psi hot at same rpm. Guess what it was as idle... that would be zero. Trans shifted good.

Did the brakes all around.

Found the floors looked like this. I bought it from an area in Virginia called Rustburg. Literally. I should have known. These floors looked decent from underneath. I should have lifted the carpet when purchasing it.

Name:	DSCI0515.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	135.1 KB 
ID:	53826

Name:	DSCI0516.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	152.6 KB 
ID:	53827

Name:	DSCI0517.jpg 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	53828

Name:	DSCI0519.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	102.7 KB 
ID:	53829

Name:	DSCI0522.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	127.8 KB 
ID:	53830

Name:	DSCI0533.jpg 
Size:	66.2 KB 
ID:	53831

Last post for now.

I got it running and all back together. It ran and drove like this for a few months but ran very hot all the time. Me and the wife spent some time on the side of the road, overheated and boiling antifreeze, and I decided it was time to make this thing a real project.

Here's the pictures I sent the insurance company, Winter of 2013. They ensured it for $2500.

Name:	DSCI0579.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	53832

Name:	DSCI0571.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	53833

Name:	DSCI0572.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	124.2 KB 
ID:	53834

Name:	DSCI0573.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	53835

Name:	DSCI0574.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	53836

Name:	DSCI0575.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	53837

Name:	DSCI0576.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	53838

Name:	DSCI0577.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	123.5 KB 
ID:	53839

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Nice project! Are you gonna garage that Stang? A quick look on NPD showed that most any part (floor boards, etc.....) can be bought for that Mustang. Take your time and build it up.

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Nice project! Are you gonna garage that Stang? A quick look on NPD showed that most any part (floor boards, etc.....) can be bought for that Mustang. Take your time and build it up.
    It quarantined in the garage from 2014 through this past November. I am currently working on getting the front suspension and steering back under it. But more on that later.

So Spring of 2014, I started cutting. The floor was the first item. Keep in mind I knew very little about sheet metal fabrication and nothing of welding, so the floor was chosen because no one really sees the finished product.

Both floors got cut out, one at a time.

Name:	DSCI0063.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	53841

Name:	DSCI0067.jpg 
Size:	90.6 KB 
ID:	53840

I didn't take pictures of the left side, but it was replaced as well.

I also had to repair the area under the rear seat on the left side.

Name:	IMG_0345.jpg 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	53842

Name:	IMG_0370.jpg 
Size:	92.4 KB 
ID:	53843

The right side had to be patched as well but wasn't as bad.

Name:	IMG_0387.jpg 
Size:	95.6 KB 
ID:	53844

The inner wheelhouses needed patched at this same time since the rust had gotten into those (they touch the floor in the area where it rusted).

Name:	IMG_0376.jpg 
Size:	101.6 KB 
ID:	53845

Name:	IMG_0386.jpg 
Size:	87.7 KB 
ID:	53846

Name:	IMG_0369.jpg 
Size:	130.4 KB 
ID:	53847

Name:	IMG_0372.jpg 
Size:	77.8 KB 
ID:	53848

I don't remember exactly what happened next.

I made more patches for the trunk floor. Mainly the area around the bottom. These cars have drop in gas tanks that make up the majority of the trunk floor, and the area around that was pretty soft in some areas. I don't think I have pictures of that.

By spring 2015, I felt confident enough to work on a small barely visible area. Both sides had rust like this which was cut out and replaced with more metal patches.

Name:	IMG_0538.jpg 
Size:	88.0 KB 
ID:	53849

Some of these are turning upside down even though they are right side up on my computer...

Now my welding was functional if not pretty. I discovered some nasty cracking in the shock towers. Come to find out, it's common on these cars with lots of miles and/or hard use, especially with power steering which this car has.

Stuff had been patched and screwed around with. Long story short, the shock towers needed replaced, and I would find out the frame rails would need patched, and one inner fender portion needed replaced where the A/C drips (think typically panther frame rust area). Both sides got replace one at a time.

This was more than a 120V MIG was going to do. So, my dad brought over his stick welder and I learned that. Not many pictures here once we get to installation because I was more focused on learning to really burn in some metal.

Name:	IMG_0708.jpg 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	53850

Name:	IMG_0718.jpg 
Size:	103.1 KB 
ID:	53851

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg 
Size:	108.8 KB 
ID:	53852

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	53853

The PO's bad repair job:

Name:	IMG_0786.jpg 
Size:	88.1 KB 
ID:	53854

Removal of that bad repair job:

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	53855

Name:	IMG_0799.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	53856

The car remained without an engine and front suspension to present day...

Thanks for finally sharing. Just been hearing about it for the past few years with no pics to show.

Definitely a project car.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

All that rust and metal work was not planned. I knew the car needed quarter panels when I got it, I mistakenly thought the rest was fine. Haha... Rustburg was such a great place to buy this from.

The hood and deck lid were trash. Those are easy bolt on items. I also installed a door skin on the left side to correct some heavy accident damage.

The quarters were holding me back. It was time to get to the point of no return. The cut off wheel came out. I left enough at the top to flange, if desired, for a skin, and I did end up doing that.

The back end of the skin incorporates the area where the rear valance mounts. It is vital to rear valance fitment. The repop skins were horrible. I ended up cutting off the rear of the original quarter and grafting that to the skin. Luckily, the front edge of the skin was pretty good.

The outer wheel houses were too bad to patch. I cut those out as well and put new ones on. That was a dice roll but it worked. They were butt welded because the thought of any overlap in the wheelhouse area just made me smell rust.

I don't have any pictures of the reattached quarters except for the last one. The top edge was flanged and welded very slowly.

Name:	IMG_0141.jpg 
Size:	72.5 KB 
ID:	53860

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	53861

Name:	IMG_0143.jpg 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	53862

Name:	IMG_0145.jpg 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	53863

Name:	IMG_0173.jpg 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	53864

Name:	IMG_0177.jpg 
Size:	76.0 KB 
ID:	53865

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	53866

Quote Originally Posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Thanks for finally sharing. Just been hearing about it for the past few years with no pics to show.

Definitely a project car.
    SOOOO much more project than I ever wanted!

Southern

Definitely the era of Mustang I hope to own someday. Heck of a project and an undertaking. Lots of work ahead of you. Does Rustburg equate to Lynchburg VA?

Pretty funny to see it has power steering, and AC...but no power brakes?! Weird.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 (2x) TC, 06 TC, 07 TC
    03 BMW 540iT, 04 Ford F150 4.6 XLT Reg cab, 8ft bed

Great project! I wish I could get a Marti report for my '66. Ford didn't retain any detailed records on cars until 1967.

If you're needing some advice or pointers on sheet metal replacement, look up Jo Daddy's Garage on YouTube and Facebook. He has a lot of videos that have helped me and is more than willing to offer advice to DIY restorers if needed.

The floors on my '66 were in a similar state. So much so, that I ended up just going with a one-piece replacement floor pan. Mustangs probably have more aftermarket support than any other classic vehicle. I'm definitely glad for that!
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Member of the Orb Alliance packman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    SOOOO much more project than I ever wanted!
    Isn't that the truth!

When I originally planned to do the CV engine swap; I was just thinking of engine swap and nothing else. Then things got out of hand after the lopo came out. Still chipping away at it LOL

Quote Originally Posted by TecNickal View Post
    Definitely the era of Mustang I hope to own someday. Heck of a project and an undertaking. Lots of work ahead of you. Does Rustburg equate to Lynchburg VA?

Pretty funny to see it has power steering, and AC...but no power brakes?! Weird.
    Yes sir just outside of Lynchburg. It still doesn't have power brakes. I would have expected to see that option in a rental car, but maybe times were different back then. The A/C is fairly rare for a '68, and was expensive at the time. I guess that's there because of the Florida location.

Quote Originally Posted by Giraffe View Post
    Great project! I wish I could get a Marti report for my '66. Ford didn't retain any detailed records on cars until 1967.

If you're needing some advice or pointers on sheet metal replacement, look up Jo Daddy's Garage on YouTube and Facebook. He has a lot of videos that have helped me and is more than willing to offer advice to DIY restorers if needed.

The floors on my '66 were in a similar state. So much so, that I ended up just going with a one-piece replacement floor pan. Mustangs probably have more aftermarket support than any other classic vehicle. I'm definitely glad for that!
    I wanted a one-piece pan. They had just came out and were expensive at the time - like $600, compared to about $80 in patch panels. I think it would have been easier to go the full route and would have certainly looked better from underneath. I do wonder how they work if the car has been twerked a little in an accident and the rockers aren't square. Times were lean back then and $600 just wasn't gonna happen!

Quote Originally Posted by packman View Post
    Isn't that the truth!

When I originally planned to do the CV engine swap; I was just thinking of engine swap and nothing else. Then things got out of hand after the lopo came out. Still chipping away at it LOL
    Project creep is a serious problem. I know you've been working on the CV a while. What seems like it's only going to take a few months turns into years at my house. I am getting older and wiser about choosing projects but that doesn't stop the want to make old worn out junk into something nice and useful.

I post a lot...

Thanks for sharing. Enjoying reading about it!
    2017 Buick Enclave 3.6 (Burgundy/Beige)
    2019 Volvo S60 Inscription (Crystal White / Blond)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Lincolnmania View Post
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Last project of 2016 included getting the bottom side ready for red oxide as original. Everything was scuffed with 80-grit. Oh this was a pain. I honestly think that if I ever get cancer, it will be from cleaning all the nasty junk off the bottom and being in such close contact with the epoxy as it went down. All this happened on jack stands. I have access to a rotisserie but it didn't fit in my garage. I wore a respirator, but the eyes and skin were still open.

Name:	IMG_0252.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	93.7 KB 
ID:	53869

2017 bought work on the quarters to make them look nice. Lots of filler but it's all thin. About 1/8" is the most, at the top of the quarters where they blend into the old metal.

Lots and lots of blocking. Then two coats of of black SPI epoxy just to see if it was slick enough. I was pleased. You have a short window to get the next coat on, if it's not epoxy. I did a little more filler work where needed, another coat of epoxy, then SPI regular build urethane primer. The engine compartment also went SEM Hot Rod Black at this time (finally something was in its finished state).

Name:	IMG_0865.jpg 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	53872

Name:	IMG_0869.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	116.1 KB 
ID:	53873

Name:	IMG_0889.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	53874

Name:	IMG_0890.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	109.8 KB 
ID:	53875

Name:	IMG_0894.jpg 
Size:	102.5 KB 
ID:	53876

Name:	IMG_0896.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	53877

I know kiddo is older now...I hope he didn't start block sanding paint on your other vehicles that didn't need it lol.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggie View Post
    I wanted a one-piece pan. They had just came out and were expensive at the time - like $600, compared to about $80 in patch panels. I think it would have been easier to go the full route and would have certainly looked better from underneath. I do wonder how they work if the car has been twerked a little in an accident and the rockers aren't square. Times were lean back then and $600 just wasn't gonna happen!
    My car is slightly tweaked from what I assume was unplanned off-roading. I had to replace a section of the passenger side outer rocker and straighten the original inner rocker with an air hammer and dolly before the new pan would fit snugly against the inner rocker. It fit almost perfectly after that except in the rear passenger seat pan area where it meets the inner wheel house. Some day I may take the car to a frame shop just to see how out of shape it is. I was still able to get things to go together to my liking, though.
    óJohn

1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019)
    1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
    1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Told ya everything I know when I said hello P72Ford's Avatar

Neat project; '67-'68 Mustangs are in my opinion one of the best looking cars ever built, especially the fastbacks. You've definitely bought the farm on this one; here's to many years of enjoyment when its complete!

I had a '65 coupe that I sold at the end of last summer; it was a good solid car, and the older Portuguese gent that bought it from me has done a beautiful job on it thus far. There is, however, discussion of him fitting it with a 2JZ engine!
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0, 6 spd, 3.73s; 17K miles Cruiser
    **2008 CVPI, Ex MSP Unit #420: 4.6, 3.55TL Flowmaster 10 knock offs, dark tint, JD Blitz Black, DD, CHALKBOARD
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG): 103, Cobra Speedsters, Cosmetics
    **2014 Ram 1500 QCSB Express 4WD Hemi/8spd TF/3L21 Truck Duties; Boesch Built, Cosmetics

I post a lot...

There is, however, discussion of him fitting it with a 2JZ engine!

NO
    NO
    NO
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

I post a lot...

no
    Past Panthers

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast