No announcement yet.

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry for your loss. Keeping your Dad busy is a good idea, but surely won't be easy.
    Engine looks great.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Sorry to hear about the passing of your mom; it is a blessing for you to have the car as a "therapy" tool for you and your dad.

Dipstick woes... my '08 tube and stick was rotted right off when I got the car. I bought a replacement tube from Ford and a Dorman dipstick (it was $8 cheaper). They don't play nice together. Its a monumental effort to check the oil, and every time I remind myself that "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." - Benjamin Franklin

The quality of work on this car, and your attention to detail is really great. Keep up the great work.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Thank you both.

Kinda makes me want to run to the junkyard, pull all the nice dipsticks and tubes and start an eBay business. People pay kind of crazy money for parts on eBay. Including myself. Located the elusive A/C bracket yesterday on eBay and had to pay more than I wanted, but there was no doing without if I wanted a original locking set up.

The 302 and T5 played nice and went in as a married couple. It’s mounted. Now for lots of little stuff to make it run. Dad helped a lot.

I think we’ll be yard driving by New Years. Probably with no fenders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Torqued all the engine and trans mounts and reinstalled the power steering cylinder which had to drop when the engine/trans installed.

I have to go back into the rear axle. It is leaking around the pinion nut. It did this before. I put a pinion seal in it but that wasn’t the problem. Going to try some of the Teflon goo on it.

Very happy with the transmission crossmember and bellhousing adapter. Both are from Modern Driveline. Good quality stuff.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Do you have clearance for the speedometer cable to come out behind the cross member? Hard to tell in photos.

Is that the parking brake cables under the tail of the transmission?

Everything looks like you can eat off of it under there. Very nice.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Whoa!!! That is friggin clean! I like the color contrast too

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Do you have clearance for the speedometer cable to come out behind the cross member? Hard to tell in photos.

Is that the parking brake cables under the tail of the transmission?

Everything looks like you can eat off of it under there. Very nice.
                Oh snap. Didn't think about the speedo cable. Will investigate tonight. It still has the VSS from the donor plugged in there, so hopefully there will be more room than it looks like. And yes on the parking brake. Haven't eaten under there yet but maybe soon lol.

Originally posted by packman View Post
                Whoa!!! That is friggin clean! I like the color contrast too
                Clean for now. I want to drive this so it won't be that way for too long once we hit the road. The color is close to what came under there believe it or not. I think my camera makes it a little more red than it is, its supposed to be red oxide. I have heard they came all kinds of colors. Whatever slop they had leftover.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Speedo cable fits fine!

Been prepping lots of little parts for installation.

Running a 50oz engine on 3 bolt pulleys meant an aftermarket balancer was required. Luckily, belt alignment looks spot on.

Tiny space between the fan and pulley. Welcome to a game show called you better have just the right pulleys and brackets or it’s not gonna work. I’d hate to see a big block car.

Other little stuff done. Heater hose route is wack but how the assembly manual said it should go. This is a giant model car.

Next project is to pull the pinion flange off again and reseal. The pinion seal is fine. The splines leak. Going to try that plumber goo stuff. Didn’t have my puller to pull the flange tonight. The driveshaft install if it’s the right length. Supposed to be.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Today’s project was the alternator.

I ordered one from Amazon warehouse l, intending to steal the guts to put in my kind of correct Autolite case. What arrived is a mix up of a dead on correct “teardrop” Autolite rear case and a more modern square tab front case.

Scavenged the front off my donor and installed on my Amazon guts and rear case.

Now for the Amazon Warehouse story. I first noticed some very wear on the pulley, and just barely on the brushes inside. Made me wonder why it’s at the warehouse...

Then I found extra black insulator that had been rattling around in the case.

Also, this lovely broken brush holder. I think it was broken when it was assembled. Had to use the one from the donor.

And mismatched springs.

AC Delco Professional, but remanufactured in China. Not the best quality.

As a side note, the 88 also has an Amazon Warehouse AC Delco 2G. The brushes were installed wrong on that.

It would seem that AC has some QC issues, and Amazon warehouse “inspected” really means nothing.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I will not buy anything mechanical from Amazon warehouse again. Quality control seems to be non existent. The discount you get is not worth the hassle.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                        I will not buy anything mechanical from Amazon warehouse again. Quality control seems to be non existent. The discount you get is not worth the hassle.
                        I agree. I just wanted the rectifier and bearings originally. It all worked out this time. I think quality control everywhere is going downhill.

Ordered some stuff from VA Classic Mustang yesterday and they called today with a question. Spoke with them a while. Great folks. We discussed Scott Drake being sold to an investment group, of which I was unaware. Quality is going down will with them.

They didn’t have my clock knob, and didn’t have my shifter knob. Jokingly told me to run a three speed knob and see how long it takes for someone to notice it’s got two extra gears.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

What kind of clock knob are you looking for ?

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                            What kind of clock knob are you looking for ?
                            This one: https://www.npdlink.com/product/knob...1968&year=1968

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

https://www.cjponyparts.com/scott-dr...1968/p/HW2831/

https://www.kentuckymustang.com/Cloc...ke-p/14945.htm

Id recommend kentucky mustang over cjpony based off my own prior order experiences.

or from ebay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...+drake+5032-2A
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I also would not use CJpony parts. Had some bad dealings with them. Never again

OP- engine is coming out great! Nice job

Comment

Working...
                                X