No announcement yet.

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

on a 302 Ford engine Cyl's 4 and 8 usually go bad like it did with me pulled the old plugs from Cylinder's 4 and 8 saw oil fauled plugs indicating combustion Chamber blow by after that I let loose a string of obsene words as well as the F word in various creative uses. Got a good Blueprint Engine no problems.

Comment

Had an hour to dig into this today.

Found compression on 1-6, 8 to be 148-155psi. Number 7 was zero, nothing, zilch, nada. Put air on the cylinder and the exhaust valve was hanging opening. Pulled the valve cover and found that pushrod halfway out of the rocker arm. Since it was halfway out, it was holding the valve open, and still connected on the lifter side, so we had LOTS of lift on that valve.

Returned the pushrod to normal position and tightened it down. Said my prayers that there would be compression and not a bent valve. Got 155psi. Now that’s a Christmas present.

Not sure why this happened other than assembly error on my part.

Carb rebuild coming up next. Might get the balls to put power steering and brake fluid in it, do a rough alignment, and drive it around the block to see how crappy that $80 T5 may or may not be. And also to see how a 1988 Crown Vic engine likes the 1987 F150 flywheel with the 1968 Mustang clutch and 1971 F100 bell housing and 1995 Mustang transmission.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Nice. That's a weird one for sure... but at least it's fixed now (or so we hope).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That’s great
          Could have been a lot worse lol

Comment

Pushrod, lifter, rocker problems are common on assembly. Visual inspection high on list of things to check. Probably third only to distro/timing and vacuum issues
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Finished the carb rebuild. Will likely need smaller jets but we shall see. May not run at all right. It’s from a 1963 390, so I don’t know if it will like the little 302.

Set the camber and toe on it as well. Still have to check the caster, but it will all shift some once the full front metal and bumper are installed. Got the hood latch installed and rough adjusted. Potential start up, official trial 3, tomorrow. It would be so cool to take a cruise out of the garage and around the block tomorrow. One can hope. It hasn’t left the driveway since 2014.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Goals. Whatever you do make sure the hood is latched (if even installed yet) well in case she decides to go all eject-o on you. I hear too many stories about this happening to the foxbody guys. Dont need to go and mess up all that new paint now.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Goals. Whatever you do make sure the hood is latched (if even installed yet) well in case she decides to go all eject-o on you. I hear too many stories about this happening to the foxbody guys. Dont need to go and mess up all that new paint now.
                  YES! I was just going to let the safety latch do the job but I managed to get it fully latched. Will still need to be adjusted once the fenders get installed.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Lots of trials and tribulations today but by the end of the day, it moved out and back into the garage/dungeon under its own power!

No road trip yet but soon.

Details of today:

Started on all 8 cylinders. Had to swap out a carb gasket and tighten the top down but it’s idling happily now. My dad helped out troubleshooting that and I am very grateful. Won’t know more until I can get it out on the road as far as carb tuning. The motor seems good, finally.

Bled the master cylinder on the car with dad helping. Then proceeded to the lines. Lots of leaks. My fault. I never tightened the lines down. They were snug but being all new, they needed to be pretty tight to seal. Thought I had DOT 5 fluid, but it was 5.1 which is apparently still not paint friendly or has the water resistive properties of DOT 5 according to Google. Oh well it’s done now. So we have brakes. I didn’t notice any paint damage to any surfaces yet.

Time to get some fluid in the power steering, drive it around the block, and wash it. Then it chill under cover in the garage while I fix all the other broken stuff around my house I have ignored lately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

You have a beautiful Mustang. I love that color. What is the name of the color and the type of paint you used ?

Comment

You are going to have one really nice car once done.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          You have a beautiful Mustang. I love that color. What is the name of the color and the type of paint you used ?
                          Thank you. The color is a 1968 Ford color, presidential blue. I used a Nason base and Southern Polyurethanes Universal Clear. The Nason is a cheap paint, and was really thin but I think that helped the metallic lay out nicely. The paint stores around couldn’t get the color in a better paint line unless I had a sample to go from. I didn’t have a sample since this car was yellow to begin with, followed by multiple jobs of red. The clear was awesome. I highly recommend the SPI universal clear. The depth is awesome and there is no buffing window.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          You are going to have one really nice car once done.
                          Thanks David. That means a lot coming from you! I hope I can keep it nice and not screw it up with things like brake fluid leaks and 3 attempts at getting the engine right.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Wow that car is so killer
                            Nice job on it for sure

Comment

Very nice car. Going to make a really good cruiser when it's ready!
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X