My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    The carb idle problems continued to the point that I couldn't stand it anymore.

To refresh: Carb was a 1963 Autolite 4100 from a 390. Idled rough, a little high, otherwise flawless. Previously tried another 4100 and was met with an idle that wouldn't drop below 2000 rpm.

I swapped on the 1406 Edelbrock that came on the car when I bought it. I had previously rebuilt it in 2013. Idle problem cured. Throttle response not as crisp but otherwise its about the same (which is a good thing). Due to the wide body, I can't run this carb with the A/C bracket or factory air filter, but it will work for now.
    It's been a LONG time for me but aren't the main jets removable and sized? When I refreshed my 4100 on my 302, I remember checking that. I picked the carb up at Carlisle and wanted it to be right. I think the channels in the carb body are how they idle if my memory is correct. They pull fuel from the main jet. Bigger jet..more fuel.
    I'll look at my carb tomorrow for jet numbers.
    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by clutch47 View Post
      It's been a LONG time for me but aren't the main jets removable and sized? When I refreshed my 4100 on my 302, I remember checking that. I picked the carb up at Carlisle and wanted it to be right. I think the channels in the carb body are how they idle if my memory is correct. They pull fuel from the main jet. Bigger jet..more fuel.
      I'll look at my carb tomorrow for jet numbers.
      It started with 58 primary and 66 secondary. I ultimately ended up at 62/70 and everything ran perfect but the idle. VMF people said those were some big jets the combo. The air flow was the issue. Too much air. I could close the primaries (and secondaries) completely and it would still idle. It's leaking air somewhere.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Vacuum line leak somewhere or leak at carb mounting gasket? By the way, I LOVE 64 1/2 - 69 Mustangs. Best of luck with it and don't stop til you get it looking and running to your complete satisfaction!
        What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
        What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

main jets really have very little to do with the idle mix, thats controlled by the idle mix screws.

not sure if its a problem on those, but Rochester carbs are really bad about wear in the baseplate where the throttle shafts come through. Makes for really funky idle mix, usually have to shut it too far and fatten the screws up too much in order to make it sort-of work.

other possible is someone had the plates out of the shaft and got it back together not quite right. If they're slightly off it will have too much gap around part of the plate. Can see that by shining a light from underneath and looking at it. If the light isn't even all the way around, the plates aren't in right. usually can just loosen the screws and fiddle with it to make them sit right.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Been a while since an update on this ride.

Rebuilt and swapped on yet another Autolite 4100 carb. It's a rebuilder carb I picked up at a swap meet, so it's been bastardized. Says C6SF-B. It's a small bore body(1.08), yet a big block application, which I understand to be a emissions thing. The primary boosters are out of a 2 barrel 2100 from a 289. The secondary boosters are from a four barrel 289.

That said, it idles great. It runs well with one exception. The only problem is a rich condition at throttle tip it, which causes it to skip a beat. I cut the accelerator pump all the way back but it's still there. I can live with it.

Got my first door ding last week. Parked in a huge end spot, all the way to the end side. Some stupid a$$ in a CRV parked right next to me with no regard to the painted line. His wheels were in my spot and he was close. I saw it when I came out and got that gut wrenching feeling. As I approached, I could see his door edge was absolutely torn to pieces. I checked my car over but didn't see anything. Found it once I got home. It's small but it's there in the quarter panel body line. $hit happens. I'd rather drive it and risk damage than watch it sit in the garage.

The CRV a$$hole actually spoke with me in the post office before I went out and saw his parking job. He had a 65 Mustang as his first car. His dad give it to him. He never changed the oil, drove it three years, and locked up the motor. He also told me mine probably wasn't a 68 because all 68's were fastbacks. Can't fix stupid, but if I see that CRV again, I'd love to give it some TLC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Some people just don't give a shit for other's property especially older classics - they just view them as old cars. Dumb fucks!

Comment

Does the 4100 have replaceable accel pump squirt nozzles that can be swapped to choke the pump shot down further ?

I don't get the thing with parking. I've done it myself, park out in the ass end of nowhere with nothing but empty spaces for hundreds of feet around. Its almost a sure bet that I'll come out and find one car parked immediately next to me, with empty spaces or hundreds of feet around.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Does the 4100 have replaceable accel pump squirt nozzles that can be swapped to choke the pump shot down further ?

I don't get the thing with parking. I've done it myself, park out in the ass end of nowhere with nothing but empty spaces for hundreds of feet around. Its almost a sure bet that I'll come out and find one car parked immediately next to me, with empty spaces or hundreds of feet around.
                  Actually, parking near no one makes your car into a magnet. It's like being the only person in a train car. SOME ass wipe will sit next to you!

Comment

Can't fix stupid, but if I see that CRV again, I'd love to give it some TLC.

Oh yeah. Been here myself. Thing is though they would not even notice or care...depending on how creative/artistic you get.
                    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Not that I know of. It's got different holes in the accelerator pump lever and the throttle, which I minimized. Maybe the hole(s?) in the casting may be sized for the big block. It helped to lean the main jets. I haven't read the plugs to see where we are on that.

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                      Actually, parking near no one makes your car into a magnet. It's like being the only person in a train car. SOME ass wipe will sit next to you!
                      You may be onto something. I've started parking the daily rides in the middle of somewhere to maybe keep the crazy people from space invading when I park in the middle of nowhere.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                      Oh yeah. Been here myself. Thing is though they would not even notice or care...depending on how creative/artistic you get.
                      I know he doesn't care about how it looks... so I've been thinking. Maybe a pinhole in a coolant hose. Or loosening the oil drain plug a hair. Something that will prevent it from being transportation at some point once I am an untraceable distance/time away. Honestly I wouldn't do it but I certainly feel like it.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

for me vehicles are off-limits. People rely on them for work and such, and causing some sort of extensive downtime or expensive repair is a bridge too far. As Sheriff Justice once said "You can think about it, but don't do it".

Comment

for me vehicles are off-limits. People rely on them for work and such, and causing some sort of extensive downtime or expensive repair is a bridge too far. As Sheriff Justice once said "You can think about it, but don't do it".
                          Agreed! My opinion, though, is that most if not all here are merely venting about it but would not actually do it (at least I hope not).

Comment

...Got my first door ding last week. Parked in a huge end spot, all the way to the end side. Some stupid a$$ in a CRV parked right next to me with no regard to the painted line. His wheels were in my spot and he was close. I saw it when I came out and got that gut wrenching feeling. As I approached, I could see his door edge was absolutely torn to pieces. I checked my car over but didn't see anything. Found it once I got home. It's small but it's there in the quarter panel body line. $hit happens. I'd rather drive it and risk damage than watch it sit in the garage.

The CRV a$$hole actually spoke with me in the post office before I went out and saw his parking job. He had a 65 Mustang as his first car. His dad give it to him. He never changed the oil, drove it three years, and locked up the motor. He also told me mine probably wasn't a 68 because all 68's were fastbacks. Can't fix stupid, but if I see that CRV again, I'd love to give it some TLC.

Reminds me of when my dad still owned & drove the Firebird. It received it's first door ding while we were out to eat somewhere. Dad always parked away, but some asshole in ragged four door truck parked next to it and put a huge welt in the Firebird's quarter panel. Dad broke one house key keying the that truck and then proceeded to boot the hell out of the entire side which offended the Firebird. It was glorious.

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            Indeed. I don't think the person who dinged the Firebird noticed the modifications my dad did to their truck, but I hope they did. Dad certainly felt better.

Originally posted by friskyfrankie View Post
                            Yep, so I try to park away, but not so far away.

Generally I agree. But when someone goes there with you first, vengeance can then be all yours. Reminds me of the scene from Pulp Fiction where they discuss not screwing with another [person's] vehicle, "You just don't do it."
                            Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 07-25-2022, 06:34 AM.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It's for this reason why the Crown Vic will strictly be a cruiser. No shopping trips or anything like that. Drive around town and come back; that's it. Jersey has too many people with that attitude for me to leave the Crown Vic unattended. And that's just the Crown Vic; I couldn't imagine what I'd be like if I had that Stang.

Comment

Packman - There is no "just a Crown Vic"!

Honestly, I like this car OK but I'd rather have my 88 wagon in this condition and cruise in it.

A Panther probably won't get as much respect at a old fart car show, but it is equal or better and deserves respect when someone owns and cares for it. At the cruise in last Friday, some guy had an 1988ish Olds Cutlass Ciera. Most people didn't care but It's every bit as interesting as any other car.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X