No announcement yet.

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were nearby Id pick up some dull silver. Id like to try wheels out once..id imagine they fit in my oven. Most important thing is that they are stripped of all prior rust and coatings.

Closest thing on hand is a cast aluminum color. Otherwise I have more glossy/shiny colors.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I forget the brand but I used to get some argent silver in a spray can that looked great. But for wheels, powder coat is probably a better choice

Comment

Wheels are done. Tires mounted. BFG Radial TA in a 215/70r14, close to original optional "plus" size. One step down from the old 225/70.

Sprayed sound deadener (Lizard Skin) in the front wheel wells followed by a coat of rubberized undercoating. There is not fender liner so when a tire throws a rock, it can dent the tops of the fenders from the inside out if they aren't coated well.

The rag joint is dragging the clutch linkage. Going to have to pull that back out and see if I can bend it to make it happy.

Also painted the factory air filter housing. Not crazy about it. It was rough. Came from a 69 Falcon in the junkyard and has some pitting. I was forced into using two different cans of paint, same brand and color but different color if that makes sense.

The weather looks bad but if it's good, the car is headed to its first cruise in on Saturday.

Boring pictures. I forget to take them.

Yes those are drums in the front! They work nicely for normal driving (so far)! If you look closely, you can see the wooden block that keeps the control arm from dropping too far and crushing the shock bushings. They sell a tool for that but I think this works.

Here's a wheel before the tire because I take boring pictures at improper times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Any time you jack up the front of the car you have to put that block of wood in place to prevent damage to shocks?

Never knew about the liner less wheel wells. What came from the factory in those locations to help mitigate damage from tire sprung rocks?
          ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Looks clean! Nice work. I had the same suspension on my maverick and never had to put anything there- maybe I should have, but never had any problems
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
              Any time you jack up the front of the car you have to put that block of wood in place to prevent damage to shocks?

Never knew about the liner less wheel wells. What came from the factory in those locations to help mitigate damage from tire sprung rocks?
              Shocks will be ok. The lower bushings get squished. As far as the factory treatment for the wheel wells, they did what I did. I actually tried to imitate the original patterns.

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
              Looks clean! Nice work. I had the same suspension on my maverick and never had to put anything there- maybe I should have, but never had any problems
              My dad does the same as you with no known problems. I saw something about it in the service manual. Here's something similar. https://www.ebay.com/itm/60-73-Musta...-/253175128882

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Did ford provide a tool for this with the spare tire and jack or is this something that came to be known overtime?
                ~David~

Comment

Will that wood block stay in place? Other than that; awesome work! What did you use for the undercoating?

Comment

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Originally posted by packman View Post
                    Will that wood block stay in place? Other than that; awesome work! What did you use for the undercoating?
                    The block sits on the frame rail and the upper control arm rests on it while the car is up in the air. I have to reach in there and get it when I let the car down. It's annoying to be honest.

Did ford provide a tool for this with the spare tire and jack or is this something that came to be known overtime?
                    I've been meaning to look in the shop manual to find out but keep forgetting to check to see if there is an official tool or just a suggestion.

Took a few pictures today for National Mustang Day. My next question, when is National Panther day? We need one.

The BFG's are nice. Don't throw rocks too bad. I really wanted the tires from the specialty places that are copies of the original but a radial. They were double the price of the BFG's.

Got the 1969 Falcon air filter housing installed with the heat riser. I like the look better for this car than the aftermarket one.

Next job is to replace the rear seal on the T5 if it's still leaking. Then it's time for a seat upholstery job. Never done anything like that. Another learning experience.

Last edited by Tiggie; 04-17-2021, 09:44 PM.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

You have a beautiful Mustang. That color is stunning. I have two, do it yourself upholstery books for sale if you need them. I learned a few tricks from them.

Comment

Looking amazing out their in the wild. The under hood is gorgeous. Nice, simple and clean.
                        ~David~

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
                          You have a beautiful Mustang. That color is stunning. I have two, do it yourself upholstery books for sale if you need them. I learned a few tricks from them.
                          Thank you. I have some book about Mustang interior restoration. Gotta dig it out and see if it's worth looking at. I am hoping the back seat will be easiest, so I will start there.

Looking amazing out their in the wild. The under hood is gorgeous. Nice, simple and clean.
                          I'm loving actually being able to drive it, so dirt is coming. Going to try to avoid rain. This was meant to be driven!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Car looks great and nothing wrong with that air cleaner at all! You did a great job

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                              Car looks great and nothing wrong with that air cleaner at all! You did a great job
                              Thank you. I think the Falcon air cleaner is the same. It was actually a fairly nice car... as nice as a 69 Falcon can be I guess. Tree fell on it.

Got rid of one of the anti-theft devices.

Started into the rear seat on Sunday. I knew it was all a big nasty mouse bathroom. So it all had to go.

Decided to mess with the burlap tonight. It's got these little wires that give it structure. Came up with this idea:

Mostly failure... oops.

More better enough.

Verdict is still out on whether or not this will be successful venture overall but you never know until you try.

Next job: more burlap and wire fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Beautiful Car. So happy to hear you're going to drive it.
                                All FORD All The Time

Comment

Working...
                                X