No announcement yet.

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nason is inexpensive, but as you mentioned, the clear is where it really stands out. Cheap clear is a waste of time and money. High quality clear can cost as much or more than the color.

Comment

Originally posted by massacre View Post
      Wow that car is so killer
      Nice job on it for sure
      Thank you. It’s been what seems like a lifetime!

Originally posted by Giraffe View Post
      Very nice car. Going to make a really good cruiser when it's ready!
      Thank you. I hope it’s ready so. So ready to go cruising. I started this when I was relatively young... 28. Now I’m getting into the middle age bracket. I wanted to be the young guy at the cruise nights that actually did something myself instead of bought it. Minus the young part now haha.

Originally posted by packman View Post
      Thank you.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Almost finished installing these tonight. (Ignore the dust. It gets a bath very soon)

Got to make a wiring clip to finish it up. One side lights up with the turn signals (and both with emergency flashers that you see here). Not “correct” for my car options and year but something I just had to add since I needed a hood anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

It makes your car personalized. Those lights look great. That paint sure stands out, Beautiful.

Comment

Nice job. The color is peculiar and classy. I like it. Glad the engine gremlins worked themselves out. I'm looking forward to seeing it done with a little rubber dust stuck to the new paint back there....
            All FORD All The Time

Comment

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Clutch you got your wish. Got a little rubber around the block today. Accidentally really since there is not a front end anything other than a hood and latch... not exactly wanting to be drawing attention to it.

That’s right. It drove out of the driveway! And back in!

Got to work on the throttle tip in. Wants to stall.

Got a coolant leak in the timing cover/below thermostat. Not 100% on the source yet.

Need to bleed the brakes a little more. Some air in there yet.

Exhaust is on and leak free! I hid it but it comes out right at the back. Stock two inch pipes. Jones Full Boar FB2041 mufflers, which are an original Flowmaster 40 knockoff.

Here’s a idling video clip if it will let you see it. There’s some smoke on the left but I hope that’s some of the initial carb tuning/ATF in the cylinders during storage burning off. It went away later which I think is a good sign.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

That pony is definitely not purring. Very nice!

Comment

Car sounds mean, nice job!

Comment

Thanks guys.

So far easy fixes. Drive about three more miles.

Adjusted the accelerator pump. Improved the stall to a point, but it got MUCH better as I drove it yesterday. It’s still lean IMO but I will continue working on that.

Coolant leak was loose hose clamps. New, very cold when installed hoses apparently need snugged once they warm up the first time.

Brake issue was an adjustment thing, so that was easy.

Today’s project. NASTY whine in all gears while coasting. My initial thought was the trans, since it was cheap Craigslist find and unknown. But it might be the rear gears? It’s consistent all forward gears equally the same pitch at the same road speed. Maybe the old automatic hid a problem with the rear. Going to jack it up and try to hunt down the source. Actually hope it’s the rear. I have a spare for that.

For the record, I love the V6 T5 ratios with the 2.79 rear gear so far.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Well it’s the transmission for sure.

Made a post on corral.net and got the typical “it’s a weak ass V6 transmission eating itself.” This is why I don’t post over there. One more helpful post said the problem may be in output shaft which makes sense.

It’s a growl on coasting with engine braking. Present from 2mph on up, changes pitch as you get faster. Speed dependent, any forward gear. Not rpm dependent. Not present in neutral. Not present in gear with clutch in. Not present while accelerating or slight cruise load. I think I’ll be pulling it back out. Was worth a shot. At least I have an idea of what to check carefully when I rebuild it.

I did successfully set the toe today. Temp sender is bad. It was new but it’s bad. Fuel level sensor may or may not be bad. For some reason, the fuel sender wire is getting pulsating voltage. Minor troubleshooting to do there.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Indy is pretty blunt to say the least. I would wait for some others to chime in yet. I am sure more suggestions will come up.

I will say if you have an electrical/engine problem and can take the verbal abuse he can really teach you a thing or three.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

In my stock fox body, the fuel sender gets pulsating voltage as well, according to the manual, it is supposed to. It is a 79.
                          Not sure about the earlier cars though

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            Indy is pretty blunt to say the least. I would wait for some others to chime in yet. I am sure more suggestions will come up.

I will say if you have an electrical/engine problem and can take the verbal abuse he can really teach you a thing or three.
                            Getting a little more input. I hate that a lot of the forum content and users moved to social media groups. Can’t search it and find posts from 2003 as easily. I know if certain hard parts are bad, then it’s indeed probably not worth rebuilding. I’m hopeful it’s just bearings.

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                            In my stock fox body, the fuel sender gets pulsating voltage as well, according to the manual, it is supposed to. It is a 79.
                            Not sure about the earlier cars though
                            Probably the same here. It’s a one wire thing. I grounded the wire and got 1/2 tank on the gauge which I think it should be pegged full. Not sure really.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Did you open the case and inspect inside? My T5 has been sitting a while and the reverse gear was pitted, and made some nasty sounds when coasting off the gas. if all your gears were pitted it’s A possibility. Although a remote one. More likely though some bearing is bad allowing play that makes the gears mesh against each other in some undesirable way. Not hard to check... but that’s with the transmission out of the car
                              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                                Did you open the case and inspect inside? My T5 has been sitting a while and the reverse gear was pitted, and made some nasty sounds when coasting off the gas. if all your gears were pitted it’s A possibility. Although a remote one. More likely though some bearing is bad allowing play that makes the gears mesh against each other in some undesirable way. Not hard to check... but that’s with the transmission out of the car
                                Didn’t open anything up other than the input shaft. Didn’t really want to pull the tail shaft to take the top cover off. But I guess it get to now! I honestly planned to rebuild this thing anyway but figured it was worth a chance it might work, plus now I have a better idea of what to check carefully.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X