No announcement yet.

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know kiddo is older now...I hope he didn't start block sanding paint on your other vehicles that didn't need it lol.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      I wanted a one-piece pan. They had just came out and were expensive at the time - like $600, compared to about $80 in patch panels. I think it would have been easier to go the full route and would have certainly looked better from underneath. I do wonder how they work if the car has been twerked a little in an accident and the rockers aren't square. Times were lean back then and $600 just wasn't gonna happen!
      My car is slightly tweaked from what I assume was unplanned off-roading. I had to replace a section of the passenger side outer rocker and straighten the original inner rocker with an air hammer and dolly before the new pan would fit snugly against the inner rocker. It fit almost perfectly after that except in the rear passenger seat pan area where it meets the inner wheel house. Some day I may take the car to a frame shop just to see how out of shape it is. I was still able to get things to go together to my liking, though.
      —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
      1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
      1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Neat project; '67-'68 Mustangs are in my opinion one of the best looking cars ever built, especially the fastbacks. You've definitely bought the farm on this one; here's to many years of enjoyment when its complete!

I had a '65 coupe that I sold at the end of last summer; it was a good solid car, and the older Portuguese gent that bought it from me has done a beautiful job on it thus far. There is, however, discussion of him fitting it with a 2JZ engine!
        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

There is, however, discussion of him fitting it with a 2JZ engine!

NO
          NO
          NO
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

no
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
              Neat project; '67-'68 Mustangs are in my opinion one of the best looking cars ever built, especially the fastbacks. You've definitely bought the farm on this one; here's to many years of enjoyment when its complete!

I had a '65 coupe that I sold at the end of last summer; it was a good solid car, and the older Portuguese gent that bought it from me has done a beautiful job on it thus far. There is, however, discussion of him fitting it with a 2JZ engine!
              I don't know a lot about 2JZ but I certainly don't want one under the Rustang hood! Not that's its not a potent power plant... it would just be out of place. I don't like 350's in 30's Fords. Or LS motors in Foxes. Or a 6.9 IDI in an S10. Brand loyalty I guess. That turbo LS powered Country Squire on youTube a while back was pretty cool. But would have been cooler if the LS had been a GM box wagon IMO.

I don't remember where I left off... But basically needed to finish body work. The front fenders had lower patch panels put in and some massaging in needed areas. The left door also had accident damage but I managed to beat it out, get the resulting bumpy tin can effect out by cutting and welding, and making it all smooth with some filler. Those guys that do all metal builds are magicians.

Finally got some color and clear down on the bottom sides of the decklid and hood. This was last summer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1437.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	122.9 KB
ID:	1286798

Name:	IMG_1439.jpg
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1286799

Name:	IMG_3781.jpg
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	1286800

Name:	IMG_4522.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1286801

Name:	IMG_4523.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1286802

Name:	IMG_4575.jpg
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1286803
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Also last year, I painted the rest.

Gray is SPI epoxy mixed as a sealer. Then three coats of Nason base in Presidential Blue, a 1968 color (Nixon was elected I think). Followed by three coats of SPI universal clear. I wanted a better base coat, but they couldn't mix it in a better base and get the color right. The Nason did fine, but it really needed the three coats. Used about two gallons of base mixed, and almost two gallons of clear mixed.

This was my first time spraying anything that mattered. It isn't perfect but I am pleased since I did it myself and minus a paint booth.

Name:	IMG_4585.jpg
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	1286804

Name:	IMG_4616.jpg
Size:	94.0 KB
ID:	1286805

Name:	IMG_4600.jpg
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	1286806

The rear axle got detailed. All the markings are replicated as discovered. I don't know what any of them mean. It is a 2.79 gear open 8". I resealed it but didn't do anything else. It was quiet running so I saw no need to mess with it. This will eventfully mate to a 1995 T5 from a 3.8L car which has a little different gear set that will match well with the 2.79 for a great cruiser. Hopefully.

Name:	IMG_4789.jpg
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	1286807

Name:	IMG_4788.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1286808

Finally rolled it into the daylight around Thanksgiving this past year.

Name:	IMG_5015.jpg
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	1286809

Name:	IMG_5016.jpg
Size:	152.7 KB
ID:	1286810

This brings me up to current time. Expect a running car in about 4 years. Which will make it TEN years under the knife.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

There is nothing like doing this type of work yourself. It is satisfying and cost saving at the same time. You learn and you have fun...sometimes not so much. It is always nice to say I did this or I painted that.
                  ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    There is nothing like doing this type of work yourself. It is satisfying and cost saving at the same time. You learn and you have fun...sometimes not so much. It is always nice to say I did this or I painted that.
                    Absolutely. When the wife and I were dating, her GM product was having transmission trouble. One of those fix it now and to prevent a full trans rebuild later things. So I bought the part (basically equivalent to a shift kit) but chickened out when I read the directions. A distant family member of hers was known to be a decent mechanic, so we took it to him to install. He decided to rebuild the whole thing for parts cost only, but forgot one check ball on top of the trans, and long story short, the trans nuked. So $600 the first time for parts. And $1400 for the second rebuild.

I decided then that I would be the only one working on my stuff if at all possible. If I mess it up, I can blame me and live with it. But if someone else screws up, then I still have broken stuff, less money in my pocket, and less knowledge in my head!

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Updates are now in real time! Finally got the front suspension and steering back together. This has been a project since last August. Other crap got in the way.

It’s on four wheels now for the first time in a long time!

Had an oops moment and installed the spring perched backwards. Luckily I didn’t die but it certainly looked scary.

Better:

Brake lines are mostly back on. I need to get a rebuild kit for the proportioning valve to finish that up. Yes that’s the tiny sway bar and I honestly think it’s bent. May upgrade in the future. Also drum brakes. That may get upgraded too. They worked okay before though.

I really am not sure where to go next. I don’t want to get the motor ready yet since it would be sitting in the garage unused for who knows how long. I think I’ll try to get some glass and weatherstrip back in it as the next big project. I don’t want water in the car while I am water sanding and buffing a few trouble areas. Assembling and adjusting the door guts will certainly be thrilling...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Very nice. It's pretty amazing how simple older cars are to work on, yet how complex deep repair can be.
                        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Being a moderate perfectionist, this interior is driving me crazy.

The car originally came with an off white interior called parchment. The the trim and carpet are black with this and I really like the contrast.

That said, the reproduction interior vinyl is too dark. At least from TMI. Distinctive Industries hasn’t sent me samples.

Top is my original door panel. Top right is the original material from SMS but they sell material only that an upholstery shop has to put together ($$$). Bottom right is the TMI parchment. Yuck. And left is the TMI white. Closer.

Distinctive kind of has me held up. If their parchment is right, I’ll do that. If their white is closer, I will do that. I need to paint some interior surfaces that are seen and want to get an exact match. I’m stuck right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

The ($$$) one looks the closest.
                            ~David~

Comment

Nice restoration, good job!
                              Man those floors were in rough shape dang.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                                The ($$$) one looks the closest.
                                I agree. Got some more samples on the way from TMI. They will do custom colors for a slight upcharge. So only one $ maybe.

Originally posted by massacre View Post
                                Nice restoration, good job!
                                Man those floors were in rough shape dang.
                                Thanks. They looked so good when I crouched down on the ground to look under the car when I bought it. Seriously! There is a frame rail that blocks a lot. And darkness. And that ridiculous disease that makes you blind to car problems when you are on the verge of buying one. Now I know. A little too late.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X