No announcement yet.

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The E7 heads on my car were switched over to the positive seal types before I got them. If you look up parts for 5.0 Explorers you get ones that will pop onto old heads that aren't the umbrella type. Found that out when the seals self-destructed after the cam swap. Did the air method to change them, worked out OK other than physical discomfort from spending too much time leaning over the fenders.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
      I did use the rope this time. Had no choice really since they wouldn’t hold air before. It was a little more tedious because the valve fell a little bit, but very doable. Those black plastic shields/seal got in the way of a couple of times and prevented me from lowering the valve spring enough. Not a huge deal but required repositioning of the rope. I’d consider using a set of the intake seals on the exhaust to get a positive seal on all of the valves. Might help with the lopo oil consumption. I bet they can take the heat fine.
      Thank you, that is very helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The E7 heads on my car were switched over to the positive seal types before I got them. If you look up parts for 5.0 Explorers you get ones that will pop onto old heads that aren't the umbrella type. Found that out when the seals self-destructed after the cam swap. Did the air method to change them, worked out OK other than physical discomfort from spending too much time leaning over the fenders.
        Any idea why the seals bit the dust? From the additional valve movement?
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Thats my best guess. It was fine before the swap and within a week afterward it was burning lots of oil. 14 of the 16 seals had the middle rubber bit shredded. New seals and its been fine ever since. The old seals were soft, just ripped.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Garage therapy tonight. Much needed.

Timing cover went on. It’s a repop. Had to drill out for the dowels at the bottom. Also, spent stupid money on bolt kits. Two of the six bolts were still not the right length. Luckily I had two in my bolt drawer. They aren’t flanged but a washer fixed that.

The Summit-brand balancer went on next. They were one source for the early 3-bolt pulley setup with a 50oz (im?)balance. Looks nice.

Water pump followed. I wanted a reman to look the part for originality. But apparently they don’t reman water pumps any more, at least not at common parts sources. Not having a proper OEM core to send in to be rebuilt, I just went with whatever they listed as a higher flow model. It does have an 8 blade impeller. I’m not crazy about it’s appearance. I think I’ll restrict the heater core. *reminder for later*. I don’t want it getting hot in stop and go traffic. It came with a big block size radiator and upgraded fan since it’s an A/C car, so hopefully that will help too.

And finally, a timing pointer. No pic. Never had one of those before on this car.

I stabbed the distributor in there to make the oil pump driveshaft happy when this goes upside down for oil pan install. Distributor is points because they work and warn me when they don’t want to work any more. I did swap a steel gear in place of the cast iron. I haven’t drilled it yet for a dowel pin. Do you think it needs one? It’s a press fit.

Also I found some 3/8 expansion plugs at RockAuto. Stopped up the dipstick hole in the block since that won’t be used here.

This will all turn blue at some point.

Rockers and pushrods will go back in next session.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Garage is a huge mess. But a scrambled all weekend and got this sealed up and painted. Looking more like 1968.

Bypass hose got painted. Strange but seems they came that way. The lopo one was engine gray also, so it was a multi decade thing I guess.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

I like it. In my mind I like to think painting everything assembled this way will stop unwanted leaks. Doubt its true but it cant hurt.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The factory paint jobs weren't that wonderful. I ran into a guy with a clean low miles 93 Cobra. Original owner car, like 15k on it. The black valve covers had grey overspray from when the block was painted.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                    I like it. In my mind I like to think painting everything assembled this way will stop unwanted leaks. Doubt its true but it cant hurt.
                    It at least let me put it all together without worrying about scratches. The exhaust manifolds were supposed to be on but I need to make them gray. Then maybe some overspray to make it “right”.

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    The factory paint jobs weren't that wonderful. I ran into a guy with a clean low miles 93 Cobra. Original owner car, like 15k on it. The black valve covers had grey overspray from when the block was painted.
                    You can see on the before pic the gray on the front of the head. They did just the front of the heads, some of the timing cover, the water pump, and the balancer. It was definitely super quick. I don’t really know why they bothered. Paint the steel rocker covers but the rest could have just been left bare.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

My 1968 Mustang Rustang

The goal was to have the engine in by last weekend.

To make a long story short, I lost my mom a week ago today due to a brain bleed. She was 65. So this has been on the back burner along with everything else.

Dad is my chosen teacher/helper on this because he knows how OCD I am. I get it from him and mom. Dad now needs something to take his mind off mom, so I’m trying to throw this into high gear and get the motor and trans in the next two weeks and he can help.

I cleaned up the exhaust manifolds Saturday. One is original to the car, the other is off a rusty 65 Galaxie (the one pictured, it’ll be covered by a heat shield). It wire brushed them to get the lose scale off, and then used spray graphite to make the look nice and hopefully not burn off. Got the idea on YouTube.

New plugs installed.

I hate the look of exhaust manifold gaskets, so I cut these to hide the unsightly part. I don’t know if that was smart to stupid, but time will tell. Looks better anyway.

I have a few small parts ready to paint, might do that tomorrow.

The mystery trans is ready to go in except it looks bad. It’s clean but doesn’t look new like the rest of the car. So it might be time to whip out the alumiblast paint. That would be the next thing, then the trans can go in.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Sorry to hear Ben. Good idea on keeping dad busy. Good luck.
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

My condolences to you and your family about the loss of your Mom. +1 on it being a good idea to keep your Dad busy.

Comment

Oh man...sorry for your loss. It's great you and your dad have a project like this to work on together. Engine and manifold look great
                            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Condolences on your mother, man. Tough times.
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Thanks guys.

Put the dipstick tube in last night. I had purchased a reproduction dipstick tube, long story short, they make tubes, they make dipsticks, none of them are the right length to match each other. I was able to get the tube out of the donor engine, which I had previously salvaged from a 1969 Fairlane. Small steps.

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Working...
                                X