Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Nos Speedo Cluster for 90 CV question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Nos Speedo Cluster for 90 CV question.

I am ready to install the Nos 140 speedometer cluster I have for the police 90 CV. The new one has the original gears which do not have any lube on them. I did want to use what is there if I use the proper lube. I would ideally use synthetic lube however I do not have anything other than spray. That won't last. My next choice could be a dielectric silicone grease. Next choice could be a Lithium grease.
    I would rather get the synthetic however the stores are closed due the State's stay at home mandate.
    I also would rather not buy the replacement gears since the new ones look perfect.
    Suggestions please.

I've been using white lithium grease on my gears, but I also have replacement ones in my cluster, so I have no idea how that would affect original gears. I just recall the originals were more waxy, or at least they felt that way when they got crumbly.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

dielectric or lithium should be fine, just needs to be thick enough to not run off, but not so thick that it will jam up. The original plastic gears in the Mark VII odo I had apart recently felt like some sort of silicone grease. Don't need much, just a very light wipe to coat stuff. Where the Mark VII piece failed is the pivots that the gears turn on. The lube in there got gummy and the odometer got sticky enough that the little motor wouldn't turn them. I wonder if thats the root of the failure on Vic clusters. Fixed it on the VII with a couple drops of sewing machine oil on the gear shafts. Thats 30 years of Florida heat vs sitting in a box somewhere though, it probably had a rougher life in the car.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Perfect, I want to get this project done. Now is the perfect time to do it. I want to replace the heater/Ac controls at the same time. I have a nos part for that too. Thanks guys !

Comment

Working...
        X