No announcement yet.

Window weatherstripping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surprising enough they’re all fine. I can close the door all the way by merely giving it a little bit of a nudge. I can’t even say that about my 09 P71 lol. I think this car didn’t see a lot of action until my buddy picked it up and he ripped out the back seat so I know they weren’t used much lol. It’s at about 70k miles, whether it begins with a 1 or 2 I don’t know but the engine and transmission are in good shape for the amount of miles on it. No noises from the engine, sometimes a tiny bit of lifter tick upon startup if I let it sit a while but nothing else. I’m happy with the car I just wish the previous owners took care of the paint. It’s not in bad shape but there is rust poking through in some spots that needs to be addressed. The paint is in good shape otherwise. No clear coat so it’s matte looking but once it’s washed it does shine.

Not the best pics but they’re what I have on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I got the passenger side done today. Pretty easy except for chipping the old one out one piece at a time. This time I didn’t cut the weatherstripping but I cut slits in the back to allow it to flex and put the window up and down a few times to seat it all the way. It came out really well and no wind noise lol.

My phone takes some mediocre pics but if you can see it, it came out pretty well. I’m happy and it was very easy.

Comment

You made the back corner 90*+ angle just by notching the back? And when you make cuts in the back, does it go all the way through the bottom of the 'U'?

Some previous owner on my car replaced the weather stripping but only above the beltline. And they didn't make any cuts on the front corner because one leg of the 'U' collapsed in at the angle and gets pinched by the glass. I'd think that if the back corner was done with one piece you'd need some especially deep cuts to keep the material from doing the same thing there.
        1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

I did the front doors on mine with the WC3396 stuff that's recommended. I don't really like it...

Personally I did the 90° rear corner with just cutting the weatherstripping, one piece for top and front, one for the rear.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	20201001_112855.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	1287454
          Top bit slid all the way back and the rear bit squeezed inside the top bit. Glass slides cleanly all the way up and seals nicely.

Except for the passenger door where the window position is somehow effed and the glass all over the place and pinches the seal all along the fron edge. That's to be fixed at some point.
          1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
          1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Yeah for the passenger side I made cuts on the bottom of the U part, the sides were untouched just the bottom. Then I got it as far as possible in the corner and closed the window a few times to seat it all the way and it fit nicely. Usually I mess stuff up lol but it came out pretty good.

Comment

How far down does the weather stripping need to go below the beltline? It looks like the original stuff runs the full length of the channel, but it'd be nice if I could save a little material where it might not matter.
              1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

Comment

Mine only goes a tiny bit past the bottom of the window. To be honest I don’t think it really matters.

Comment

Working...
                X