PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Window weatherstripping

Default Window weatherstripping

Iíve had the interior part of the window wipe/weatherstripping break off a while back. Iím talking about the one that is vertical and acts as a seal, the one on the inside part of the car. Of course tapatalk isnít playing nice and wonít let me upload a pic. Anyway, it looks like felt on one side but what material exactly is it and is there one I can put in there or a good substitute for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interior dew wipe?

Don’t know. Mines like a rock. Will have to do that sometime in the future myself.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

might be the same as the outside bit. I had a set made for the Continental. Part of the deal was they wanted interior and exterior to make a full set. Pretty sure the inside and outside is the same material.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Could be, its the ones on the side of the window not at the bottom. Do you guys know what material it is? Iíll probably just order bulk material and make some myself.

you mean the U shaped felt stuff in the channel? There is a post on here someplace with the number. I need some of that too, and last I looked its sold out everyplace.

5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Yes. The outer part looks and feels like felt but it looks similar to the B shaped rubber gaskets I see on ebay. Iím thinking about trying some out for fun.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...w-wipe-sources

thats the thread with the dew wipe and window channel stuff. WC3396 is the channel.

this actually prompted me to check Rockauto and they have the stuff in stock. Bought a couple pieces to fix the irritating whistling noise from the busted window seal on the Continental.

Haha I know what you mean. Yeah I checked them earlier and it looks like all of them are in stock again. Thanks for the link!

Bumping this thread again. I got the drivers side front window channel weatherstripping done today. Iíve had the stuff for a few weeks but I didnít feel like screwing with it until today. I went out there and opened the box and found something odd. The part number is different but itís the same stuff and there are a few dew strips that come with it too. It says itís for a 75-94 Chevy van lol. It tuned out great though.

The dew wipes are too small to be useable but maybe they can be used elsewhere, Iíd hate to toss them. Anyway I broke all the old weatherstripping out and started on the new one. It went on easy enough and I remember a thread where I think gadget told another member to make some slits on the corners. I tried and it didnít come out great but not bad. Funny enough the section where the front half makes that 45* angle downward had some slits cut in the bottom so it fit perfectly. And this weatherstripping was shaped like an L overall so I had to cut the bottom of the L off but it met the bottom of the window on the front perfectly. I couldnít believe how easy it was to do. Usually every little project fights me lol.

Sorry no before pics, I didnít think of it. Iíll look for one if I can.

If it bothers you you can man handle that trim along the leading edge of the window frame and pull it up to meet up with the horizontal one up top to fill in the gap. They are press fit over the frame. Should be doable. Can also split the difference with the horizontal on as it looks like it may have pushed back and overlapped the rear vertical one.

Must have ordered some type of kit to have dew wipes (though un usable) come with the window channels.

I always cut slits from the backside leaving faces of the weatherstripping untouched. Can lead to a cleaner look.

I think some of the guys use weatherstrip adhesive or black rtv to seal up the cuts they made.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Quote Originally Posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

I didnít even think about using rtv or any sort of adhesive either. I donít think any of that is necessary unless, like you said, itís for the cuts. My cuts donít really bother me but maybe Iíll fix it. Oh and I forgot to mention, there were 2 of the pieces of weatherstripping so I can do the passenger window too.

Yeah itís strange that the part number is different but this one is a kit. Thatís why I put the invoice next to the park number on the bag, if itís even ledgable in those tiny pictures... But overall Iím happy, it worked out better than I thought and was increadably simple to do. Now Iíll finish the rest of the windows and try out the dew wipes.

Seems to have turned out nice, looks like what you've got fills the window frame better than the correct part no. stuff I got and installed.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Thanks man! Yeah I think it came out pretty well for me lol. I canít wait to get them all done and the dew wipes too.

Donating Member

It’s so nice to have nice new weatherstripping and dew wipes after having broken and crumbly stuff.
    No more rattles from the doors or windows.
    Wind noise down a bunch. Car is quieter and drier.
    Might also be a good time to check the striker bushings and hinges

Surprising enough theyíre all fine. I can close the door all the way by merely giving it a little bit of a nudge. I canít even say that about my 09 P71 lol. I think this car didnít see a lot of action until my buddy picked it up and he ripped out the back seat so I know they werenít used much lol. Itís at about 70k miles, whether it begins with a 1 or 2 I donít know but the engine and transmission are in good shape for the amount of miles on it. No noises from the engine, sometimes a tiny bit of lifter tick upon startup if I let it sit a while but nothing else. Iím happy with the car I just wish the previous owners took care of the paint. Itís not in bad shape but there is rust poking through in some spots that needs to be addressed. The paint is in good shape otherwise. No clear coat so itís matte looking but once itís washed it does shine.

Not the best pics but theyíre what I have on hand.

I got the passenger side done today. Pretty easy except for chipping the old one out one piece at a time. This time I didnít cut the weatherstripping but I cut slits in the back to allow it to flex and put the window up and down a few times to seat it all the way. It came out really well and no wind noise lol.

My phone takes some mediocre pics but if you can see it, it came out pretty well. Iím happy and it was very easy.

You made the back corner 90*+ angle just by notching the back? And when you make cuts in the back, does it go all the way through the bottom of the 'U'?

Some previous owner on my car replaced the weather stripping but only above the beltline. And they didn't make any cuts on the front corner because one leg of the 'U' collapsed in at the angle and gets pinched by the glass. I'd think that if the back corner was done with one piece you'd need some especially deep cuts to keep the material from doing the same thing there.
    1987 Lincoln Town Car - Signature, "Prudence"

I did the front doors on mine with the WC3396 stuff that's recommended. I don't really like it...

Personally I did the 90į rear corner with just cutting the weatherstripping, one piece for top and front, one for the rear.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201001_112855.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	54934
    Top bit slid all the way back and the rear bit squeezed inside the top bit. Glass slides cleanly all the way up and seals nicely.

Except for the passenger door where the window position is somehow effed and the glass all over the place and pinches the seal all along the fron edge. That's to be fixed at some point.
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1997 Volvo 850 GLE Estate

Yeah for the passenger side I made cuts on the bottom of the U part, the sides were untouched just the bottom. Then I got it as far as possible in the corner and closed the window a few times to seat it all the way and it fit nicely. Usually I mess stuff up lol but it came out pretty good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast