Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 wagon swapped to 3.73’s

So swapped over to 3.73’s recently
    And I’m shocked the wagon doesn’t spin the tires off the line. Is it the loop 5.0 the trans or something else
    To me it still seems slow.
    Don’t get me wrong it’s a 4000lb wagon
    But thought the gears would wake her up a bit

off the line should be much better, but it's still a lopo... it'll die out at about 40mph. I know going from 2.73 to 3.55 in the 88 I had woke it up for off the line fun. It still didn't spin the tires unless I did a brake stand or it was wet out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It’s not the lopo. They love to spin tires with low end torque. I think the problem is a lot of weight over the rear tires. I would like to see a wagon weight distribution. I bet they are closer to 50/50 than one might think and a lot closer than say a Fox body.

I only have 3.27 peg leg in mine. It won’t spin even in the wet unless it’s floored and going around a tight corner. On a relatively skinny 225/70 tire.

It will do a rolling burn out if you let it roll a little bit and give it a lot of gas pedal and control the brake to keep road speed down. I kind quit that once I got new tires on it the first time in 2009.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Is the engine running correctly? Incorrect timing is common and it makes them suck balls for performance, even more than they normally do. 10btdc with the spout out. I've screwed up and done TDC and once 10ATDC on my own car.

trans won't have much to do with it, its all traction and engine. Only real difference from a non-HO trans to an HO is the governor. Shift point is 4200 vs about 4800 on the HO. Lopo makes no power up there so it won't do you any good. The lopo is all bottom end torque.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i just finished a 3.73 swap as well, but ive got the anemic little 4.2 in my marquis. i felt an incredible difference from my 3.08 open to 3.73 traclok. i would think even with more weight of the wagon you should still be able to feel some difference.
          Last edited by marquis_82_withneons; 04-13-2020, 03:44 PM.
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

According to this, the weight really isn't that different

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/m...door/1990.html

https://www.automobile-catalog.com/m...uire/1990.html

depending on trim level and such you're looking at somewhere between 250-400 lbs. Lightest base model Vic sedan 3611, heaviest wagon is 4041.

The interesting thing is the 0-60. The loaded wagon in non-tow trim is 11.7 seconds. Same car in tow package trim, which gives a 3.55 rear, is good for 10.3. I'd expect it to be a bit better than 10.3 with a 3.73, assuming the engine is up to snuff. Thats still slow as hell, don't get me wrong, it just should suck less than it did with a 3.08 or whatever it had before.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

0-30 is quick... 30-60 takes an age.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
              X