Oversized radiator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oversized radiator

I live in Arizona. Every summer my 88 Grand Marquis overheats and I end up parking it until Fall. Tried cleaning cooling system. All hoses have been replaced. Everything is the best it can be. There is a lot of gunk in the cooling system that I can't get out. This year I just want to stick a big radiator in it. Anyone know of a drop in replacement big radiator swap that I could do?

I also suggest an auxiliary transmission cooler.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Get the cooling system clean when you replace the rad otherwise its just going to migrate that sludge in. If you can get the block drains out to get the engine really flushed out, that would be a good thing. They're on each side, near the motor mounts.

You also want to make sure the fan clutch is good or no amount of radiator is going to get it done.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also back flush the fins of the AC condenser when you have the radiator out it may be stuffed full of dirt and debris.
        2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          I also suggest an auxiliary transmission cooler.
          Yes all the comments above and definitely this one^^^^^^^^^

I went through this exact scenario with my old Malibu. I got a 4-row radiator that kept that engine in the 195*F - 205*F range during the summer. I discovered one night (yes, night) whilst stuck in traffic, that my trans was overheating despite the large radiator. Turns out that the trans lines in the radiator only make a couple passes; not enough to keep that trans cool in the summer.

Comment

I forgot to mention replace the Thermostat and Radiator cap also while you have the radiator out.
            on older cars we would use Permatex heavy Duty cooling system flush,then flush the hell out of the cooling system with lots of water then blow it out with compressed air so you get all the tap water out . Worth noting if your heater core is old you may want to bypass it during the chemical flush because it may speed up a leak waiting to happen. But if it is that questionable and you have the time plan on replacing it as well.
            Make sure to fill with Coolant-antifreeze and distilled water when your refilling the system.
            Pretty much anytime I open up a cooling system I replace everything hoses water pump etc since I do not want to open the system again or get foiled by a hose or something cheap I could have replaced while in there. Yet this can add up quick so you will have to do what your time and budget allows.

https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-8003...903885&sr=8-42
            2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Thank you for all of the tips. It will be my hobby for a little while. My car is ugly but she drives smooth when it is all working well.

Comment

I'm a user and a fan on genuine Motorcraft VC-1 flush. If it's done properly, the stuff is excellent and will absolutely clean your system out like an enema.
                I'll be adding the auxiliary transmission cooler shortly to my Sherrie.
                I used the Derale 13223 on another car and it works great mounted across in front of the radiator.
                All FORD All The Time

Comment

This is what I have (I have the 5.8, so you'd have to get the 5.0 one). 100% copper. Made a big difference over the 3 core copper unit. You can get them in 3 core as well...but i drove all through the south in the summer with the A/C blasting without any trouble.

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...zEALw_wcB#tabs
                  -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Oversized radiator

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                    This is what I have (I have the 5.8, so you'd have to get the 5.0 one). 100% copper. Made a big difference over the 3 core copper unit. You can get them in 3 core as well...but i drove all through the south in the summer with the A/C blasting without any trouble.

https://www.radiatorexpress.com/prod...zEALw_wcB#tabs
                    I just bought that same radiator from radiator express. It seems well made. Just don’t get me started on the huge headache radiator express has caused me. Still haven’t gotten it resolved.

You’ll need either the tow package radiator mounts or to modify yours to make it fit as it’s thicker than the two core oem copper ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by matth825; 04-15-2020, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I have what might be the same one in my Continental. Its Liand or Liland Global. Something like that. Its a nicely made item.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Oversized radiator

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I have what might be the same one in my Continental. Its Liand or Liland Global. Something like that. Its a nicely made item.
                        Hopefully you had a better radiator express experience than me if that’s where you ordered it from. The first one they sent me was a champion that didn’t fit. Finally got them to believe it wasn’t the correct one so they shipped me a liland 547aa2r. Took it out of the box to discover it had been dropped squarely on the filler neck. After two days of customer circus and me having to threaten to dispute the charges with my credit card company they are sending a third rad. If this one shows up damaged I am throwing in the towel and getting my oem copper/brass one rebuilt. It’ll be more expensive but I guess avoiding BS has its price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Geez, i had no problems with mine, thankfully
                          -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

I got mine through an area radiator shop for a better price than anywhere online. No problems with the experience.

Comment

I'm always puzzled by this. My 89 and 90 can idle in 105F humid hot heat in Columbia, SC for an hour with the AC on - and the temperature will never go above 205. I'm using a stock Spectra Premium radiator in both of those cars.

I get that a larger radiator can flow more coolant has can cool more of it - but if the factory drop in $100 spectra special does the job, there could be something else wrong. I think others have said this - but a well flushed engine block, proper working fan clutch, and a clean radiator will make all the difference.
                              -Nick M.
                              Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                              03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Working...
                              X