Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOD TV Pressure High in Neutral, Transmission Shifts Like the TV Pressure is Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
    I wonder if your engine/trans is in the right place? Or your rear axle?

I think I’d get the AOD from that parts car if it’s available. I think the combination of parts in your current one is not compatible, and it would take an AOD expert to examine each part figure out why the pressure is bleeding off.
    I wanted it, but the guy preferred to sell the engine and transmission as a unit
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
      It did the job as advertised. I have a 5 speed in the car now though as it is more fun.
      I'm keeping the auto, I will overcome it.
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I don't believe there are multiple mount points for the trans crossmember, and definitely not for the engine so even if you could play multiple choice with the trans, there is only one place it can bolt up that it will mate to the engine correctly. The rear also doesn't have multiple mount choices. Has this car ever been seriously wrecked before? I'm half wondering if the frame has been crunched and things just do not fit as they should anymore. Would take a hell of a crunch to move the engine and the rear together enough to make the driveshaft seem to be ~1" too long.

I'm also not aware of any extra long AOD, just the short Ford one and the long Lincoln one. Lincolns got the long one. Unless maybe there is some super long truck one? Don't know on that.
        There is no evidence of the car being smashed up and repaired, it was a 127,xxx km all original car when I bought it in 2006. In the 14 years I've owned it, I can guarantee it's not been in any accidents where the frame could be tweaked since I've had it. In 2007 a Chev Colorado backed into the middle of the driver's door and crooked the door skin, that's it. Fender-bender at best, the rear bumper of the truck was damaged just as much as the Lincoln's door. Carfax report does not reveal any accidents either.

I discovered the long driveshaft problem when I broke off the output shaft in fall 2008. Needed to remove driveshaft as a step to remove transmission, took a full day of trying this, it not working, trying that, it not working, etc etc before I got it out. Once the replacement transmission was installed, it was equally as hard to get the driveshaft back in, that was spring 2009. U-joints were replaced during that winter while the shaft was out. Replacement transmission was from a scrap yard, missing the ID tag and appeared to have been rebuilt in the past.

I built an engine and installed it in 2017, engine mounts were absolutely fine and I reused them. When I did the transmission overhaul this year, I bought and installed a new transmission crossmember mount (rear engine mount). Engine and transmission is where it belongs.

What is interesting is today I got OH to come out and measure the wheelbase with me, just out of curiosity, we measured it to be 116 5/8" (2962 mm) between the centers of the Continental stars on the hub center caps. I then looked up the WB spec, triple checked it with multiple sources and verified it's supposed to be 117.3 (2979 mm). When the math is done, that means my WB is about 11/16" or 17 mm shorter than it's supposed to be. I could understand <1/4" or so for suspension position (spring compression) or suspension bushing wear, etc. But 11/16"?!? That's got to be outside of any tolerance allowed for that measurement...rear axle appears to be fine, control arms not bent, bushings original but not worn to being a concern. Car handles fine, no dog-tracking, etc.

I always have the strange problems...lol

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
          ... we measured it to be 116 5/8" (2962 mm) between the centers of the Continental stars on the hub center caps. ...
          Just to clarify, on both sides?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

is it the same on both sides? Thats pretty funky. I've never measured mine, but honestly never had reason to either. It always seemed long enough. The wheelbase at least.

just trying to imagine what could even cause that. I'd expect that even if someone had replaced the rear control arms, there isn't anything else that would fit but move the axle that far forward. The front can't be moved from where it is. If the frame were compressed by that much in the middle you'd definitely know it. The doors wouldn't open and there would be some obvious carnage where things were buckled.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Comment

@ Gadget73 and IPreferDIY: I did not measure both sides, as my thought process on that was similar to yours, gadget in that the car would be all over the road if the wheelbase measurements weren't at least fairly close on both sides. Even if it handled and drove OK, it would be impossible to get it lined up so that one or more tires wasn't getting destroyed excessively fast. If the rear end were diagonal, I would suspect severe tire wear issues on the rear tires, which I do not have that problem. I can't do a burnout FFS...
              Just for clarity, I did have a wheel alignment done last Friday. Mechanic said the caster/camber adjustments were maxed out due to sagging front springs. My front lower control arm bushings are getting pretty worn too, but not 11/16" worn.
              Later on I'll check the other side's WB measurement and I'll try it with the car parked in a couple different positions as well to compare and see what kind of difference there is (if any). Need my assistant back to do that

Comment

even if the front arms were that wasted and shoved backwards 11/16", that wouldn't affect the distance from trans to diff any. Seems that has to be funky if the driveshaft acts too long.

Unless its just the splines inside the drive shaft are f'd and its bottoming out on the damaged section?
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

I'm not OCD, but in a situation like this I would measure both sides just so I know. There might be no reason to believe it would be different etc, but I would be compelled to verify it anyway. Dunno about the finer points of caster etc, but if it's maxed out, is that adding to or taking away from the wheelbase?

Something I noticed in your broken output shaft thread was that someone asked about whether the axle was at full drop when the driveshaft came out, and it looks like there was no answer. Any recollection?

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

there isn't really a lot of caster adjustment possible on these. Positive caster would be moving the top of the spindle forward, so if anything it would add ever so slightly to the wheelbase. Definitely not enough adjustment range to account for 11/16". I'd honestly be surprised if it would do more than 1/8" over the entire range. Still wouldn't have anything to do with the driveshaft.

Comment

Update: OD started slipping yesterday. Fluid is burnt, and today I had virtually no OD at all.

Comment

FUUUUUUDDGE

Got a plan B? (Or would it be plan C, D, or beyond?)
                        At least it's not a rotbox. When OD went on The Ice Car back in December, I evaluated it then decide I could get through winter without OD. Since it was a rotbox, I was not going to rebuild that trans (again, dad and I got at least 160k miles, 10 years, and three cars on that rebuild.)
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I'm curious what the postmortem will show, but something was definitely not happy and causing a pressure loss. I just don't know transmission internals enough to have any reliable guess as to what.

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                            FUUUUUUDDGE

Got a plan B? (Or would it be plan C, D, or beyond?)
                            At least it's not a rotbox. When OD went on The Ice Car back in December, I evaluated it then decide I could get through winter without OD. Since it was a rotbox, I was not going to rebuild that trans (again, dad and I got at least 160k miles, 10 years, and three cars on that rebuild.)
                            I have another approximately 100k AOD from an 86 Lincoln bought now. I didn't road test it before purchase, but I did witness it in the car when the car was running and observed the fore and aft gear engagement. Seemed on point. Seller didn't even drain the fluid from it when he removed it, looks good and not burnt so I'm going to "run what I brung" and see how it works out. Tired of spending money over and over again, if I can avoid buying ATF for this one, I'll take it.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              I'm curious what the postmortem will show, but something was definitely not happy and causing a pressure loss. I just don't know transmission internals enough to have any reliable guess as to what.
                              I'm interested as well, though I likely won't tear it down for a significant period of time post removal from the car.

Comment

New old transmission is in now. Behaved like it should with TV pressure up on bust. Adjusted the cable down some, topped off the fluid and different beast altogether.
                                Hopefully this marks the end of this stupid saga.

Comment

Working...
                                X