Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AOD TV Pressure High in Neutral, Transmission Shifts Like the TV Pressure is Low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
    I'm having balance issues after doing the aluminum driveshaft swap with a crap bushing. I read something about the aluminum driveshaft having a dot that is supposed to line up with a paint mark on the tailshaft. My driveshaft had blue and yellow dots, though I'm pretty sure the yellow is supposed to be used. I had seen the paint on the end of the tailshaft but had not been aware of its significance. I read about another type of car (possibly a Mustang) that is supposed to have a paint mark on the diff flange or wherever for the same purpose. I'm going to try repositioning the driveshaft before having the bushing dealt with (hopefully at a shop that has the tools to replace the bushing without removing the housing). I had trouble recently finding the source I had seen previously, but it must be out there somewhere. Not sure if that will be useful for you, but it might be something to consider.
    Mine is so Frankensteined now that if the paint marks WERE visible, they have lost their significance anyway.

-88 Town Car
    -HO converted 5.0
    -1983 AOD made up from three different transmissions and a couple new parts, including 2000 RPM stall B&M TorkMaster convertor
    -Driveshaft 'presumed' to be from a box Ford or Mercury (2 3/8" shorter than the driveshaft that came out of the Lincoln, believed to be about 1" too long and probably an incorrect part to begin with)
    -Only thing original and untouched in the driveline is the rear axle, that's a Y-code

FWIW, my output shaft had at an estimated 1/4" of lateral play with the driveshaft and extension housing seal removed. Definitely bad bushing, which explains the vibration.

Good luck sorting your balance issues.
    Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
    Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If the dipstick is blowing out you've definitely got case breathing problems. Make sure that vent isn't clogged or smashed or whatever.

reason I was wondering about dipstick length, if the trans is over-full it will froth the fluid and act generally shitty. Sounds like the amount of fluid I'd expect though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
        ... FWIW, my output shaft had at an estimated 1/4" of lateral play with the driveshaft and extension housing seal removed. Definitely bad bushing, which explains the vibration. ...
        The tailshaft on mine had lots of play, but that might be normal. When I looked into it, I saw something about the tailshaft being so long that it exaggerates the play in the internal bushing or whatever.

I saw a fair bit of stuff on YouTube about dealing with balance issues, but you need a hoist (or bravery with jack stands). I remember one where they used a cup of water (probably in a cup holder) to see how much vibration they were getting without having to do a test drive. If the tailshaft housing bushing doesn't cure it, you might have some luck with something like that.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
        mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

If its a Ford driveshaft, that'll be shorter than what a Lincoln wants and you won't get as much yoke engagement. 'course I have no idea what driveshaft you had in there before that was too long. I wasn't even aware one existed that was longer than the Towncar piece.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

Comment

Is it possible that the new built AOD is longer than the original, so the original driveshaft is bottoming against the rear seal?

It really sounds like there's a problem with the combination of parts. Since there's so much used stuff in there from 3 different transmissions from different cars and different years, it's just possible that even if the parts are right, some of them aren't playing well together.

I certainly don't doubt your uncle's ability, I'm just saying that when there's a stack of 30-year-old-parts to choose the least worst of, it's easy to miss a chip or crack that will make everything work differently than expected--with this sort of result. It might be wise to pull it, bring it back, and ask him to double-check the parts inside.

Comment

should already be the long AOD in a Lincoln, unless there is an extra long one from a truck maybe? The Lincoln AOD is an inch and some change longer than the Ford one. Driveshaft too. 3" longer wheel base, basically half is in the trans and the other half is in the driveshaft.

Pretty sure the output shaft is also different, not just the housing on the back. You can swap that but still not have proper spline engagement. The output spline should be pretty much flush with the end of the trans. If its down inside about an inch its the short output shaft in a long housing and that won't work right.

Comment

So I have an update since yesterday.

The extension housing bushing was grabbed by the driveshaft yoke and spun in the housing. I removed the housing and went looking for parts. Found a trans shop that had a new bushing in stock, they pressed it in for me. Brought it home and slid it on over the driveshaft yoke, it was snagging.

I grabbed some emery paper and rubbed down the outer surface of the yoke. Checked it and it slid in and out nicely.

I put the extension housing seal back in place, used some JB Weld to hold er and put it back onto the transmission.

Been driving it since yesterday evening now, seems to be OK.

I think the outer surface of the driveshaft yoke was pitted, rusty and scored and pulled the bushing out, causing everything else to come unglued due to excessive vibrations.

Still need to find a valvebody to try and see if that's why my shifts are so mushy despite the TV pressure being so high.

Thanks for the advice, guys.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Comment

Had similar from my original drive shaft. it had been put in a vise to change the U joints and it kept destroying rear seals before I found it. It also had bad vibration problems so the fix was just swapping the whole thing with one that wasn't screwed up. Lost the heavy duty tow package part, but meh.

Comment

Got a valvebody of unknown reliability this past week. Brought it home, took the separator plate off and checked it to ensure it was all there and the balls were where they belonged. Everything looked good, so I put the plate back on and put it into the transmission to try it out.

Never touched TV pressure adjustment, just plugged and played the valvebody. Remember I have my TV cable as short as it will go, max TV pressure.

Took it for a test run, exact same shifting as with the valvebody that was already there. If anything the shifts were even softer, earlier and piling up worse. Still no 3-2 kickdown unless you're almost stopped, blah blah blah.

What else, other than a valvebody could cause this? Or was I unlucky enough to have tried two pooched valvebodies?

If anyone has a spare governor (preferably an HO governor, as I have done the HO conversion to mine) laying around, I could be interested in obtaining it. PM here or on facebook if you would like to complete a transaction.

Comment

I do not have a spare ho governor but You can look into the aod hi rev kit from transgo. I put that in my Vic when going to HO and beyond. It is not an entire governor though just parts to convert your existing governor to a hi rev one.
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                        I do not have a spare ho governor but You can look into the aod hi rev kit from transgo. I put that in my Vic when going to HO and beyond. It is not an entire governor though just parts to convert your existing governor to a hi rev one.
                        I assume you're happy with the results of adding those parts?

Comment

Mine is so Frankensteined now that if the paint marks WERE visible, they have lost their significance anyway.

-88 Town Car
                          -HO converted 5.0
                          -1983 AOD made up from three different transmissions and a couple new parts, including 2000 RPM stall B&M TorkMaster convertor
                          -Driveshaft 'presumed' to be from a box Ford or Mercury (2 3/8" shorter than the driveshaft that came out of the Lincoln, believed to be about 1" too long and probably an incorrect part to begin with)
                          -Only thing original and untouched in the driveline is the rear axle, that's a Y-code

FWIW, my output shaft had at an estimated 1/4" of lateral play with the driveshaft and extension housing seal removed. Definitely bad bushing, which explains the vibration.

Good luck sorting your balance issues.
                          So I went to buy a driveshaft from a guy I know who's parting out an 86 this afternoon. I took my original driveshaft (the one that was giving me the grief for being too 'long') and laid it on the tailgate of my truck to compare to one that came out of a Town Car, turns out it was the exact same length as the one that came out of my car to begin with.
                          Which brings me back to - why in the name of all that's holy would my rear axle be at least an inch or more too close to the tail of the transmission?
                          I'm going to get a spacer made to go in behind the short driveshaft I'm running now, fork it.

Comment

I assume you're happy with the results of adding those parts?
                            It did the job as advertised. I have a 5 speed in the car now though as it is more fun.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I wonder if your engine/trans is in the right place? Or your rear axle?

I think I’d get the AOD from that parts car if it’s available. I think the combination of parts in your current one is not compatible, and it would take an AOD expert to examine each part figure out why the pressure is bleeding off.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I don't believe there are multiple mount points for the trans crossmember, and definitely not for the engine so even if you could play multiple choice with the trans, there is only one place it can bolt up that it will mate to the engine correctly. The rear also doesn't have multiple mount choices. Has this car ever been seriously wrecked before? I'm half wondering if the frame has been crunched and things just do not fit as they should anymore. Would take a hell of a crunch to move the engine and the rear together enough to make the driveshaft seem to be ~1" too long.

I'm also not aware of any extra long AOD, just the short Ford one and the long Lincoln one. Lincolns got the long one. Unless maybe there is some super long truck one? Don't know on that.

Comment

Working...
                                X