Driver Door Unlock - not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driver Door Unlock - not working

Hey guys, new to the forum. I recently purchased a 2003 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition. It has 34000 miles so I dont expect too many problems right away. The driver door unlock however is not working.

If I click the lock button it locks, but if I click the unlock button, the keyless entry module makes noise but nothing happens at the actuator.

1st I purchased a new actuator, however when I unplugged the wires from old actuator and put them in the new for a test, the same thing. Lock but no unlock. so the actuator is fine...

Also checked as many fuses as I could that related to door locks. nothing.

Any thoughts? Could it be the keyless entry module?

I don't know much about the keyless entry module and how it works, but the basic idea is it simply reverses the polarity to cause the actuator to actuate in the lock or unlock direction. Since one of the functions work, the wires to the actuator are not suspect. Since you hear noise from the keyless entry module (probably a relay attempting to the polarity, but I could be way wrong) the button on the key fob must be functioning properly. Without digging up more info on the keyless entry module, I would suspect it of being the problem.

I don't know much (yet) about learning the fob and weather swapping another module in would require learning your fob to the car, but someone here probably does know a bit more about that.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

If you have a OBD-II dongle that works with a windows laptop, you can download ForScan (free) and check body computer codes (B#### diagnostic codes). You might also be able to do this with bluetooth dongles and phone apps like OBD Fusion. It might point to a circuit failure on the driver door lock circuit. The problem could be in the LCM or the DDM or some wire in between. Here's a link to the diag page from the service manual that I have...

http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/2003%20...ule%20diag.pdf

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
      X