Air Conditioner Refurbishment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like Arquemann isn't the only one with spring time A/C woes! I took my car out of storage last week to find the AC system flat. Leak checked and found it's coming from the compressor front cover. I thought about replacing just the gasket but it has always rattled badly when running (it's a motorcraft reman unit circa 2000 when the car was retrofitted to r134a) so I figure it's not worth any effort. I'm going to try to replace it with a NOS one since I've never had luck if the aftermarket remans. I have never tried any of brand new Chinese aftermarket ones - not sure if they are any good. Will a compressor from an 87-88 box work on my 85? The parts catalog show two different models for years 80-88. The change happened in September 1986. The early compressor is a E6VY-19703-A (Motorcraft YC-41). The late one is a E7TZ-19703-B. The late one appears to be a Nippondenso 6E171. Is it still an FS-6 just manufactured by Nippondenso instead of ford? I found a picture of one--looked exactly like an FS-6. It even had a sticker on the back with the late part number and FS-6 as the type.

Since I'm going to have the system opened up I figured I'd perform a refurbishment. Who knows how good of a job the techs did with the initial conversion (it was done by a ford dealer per the retrofit label under the hood) so I figure I might as well take the opportunity to flush everything, replace the 35 year old A/C lines, install a new accumulator-drier, install a new orifice tube as well as change the o rings. I want everything to be set for another 35 years! I also need a project to help pass the time since Illinois shelter in place order has been extended till the end of May. I was able to find all NOS Motorcraft lines. The suction and discharge lines arrived in great condition however the liquid line didn't fare so well. It was bent to fit into the box. It's make of polyethylene hose so straightening it out left a nice kink. I tried to gently heat it with a heat gun so I could reform it which helped a little...but I still have my doubts. What do you guys think? If this were an easy to find part I'd exchange it in a heart beat but I don't have that luxury. Think it has been weakened and will blow out? Pictures are below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2354.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	478.0 KB
ID:	1305255
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2355.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	450.8 KB
ID:	1305256

I did find an aftermarket one - HA 9212 made by UAC. Anyone have experience with that brand? I'd like to stay motorcraft but if that hose is trashed I really don't have a choice unless I want to keep my 35 year old original.

I have that NipponDenso compressor on my 84 Continental. Came from 86VickyLX's 86. Works absolutely fine. Not sure exactly what came off, it wasn't original but I didn't look at the part number.

liquid line, prob depends if the plastic ends up looking discolored around the bend. Some heat might sort it out but if its got that light grey look where it pinched it probably has a weak point.
    Attached Files
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the pictures gadget! Glad to know it fits on the earlier cars just fine. Is the Ford one preferred over the Nippon or vise-versa? My Ford one worked great but man was it noisy. That could be because it was a reman though. I could see them slapping new seals in a 100k unit without replacing the valve plates, bearings, etc and calling it good. That's why I hate remans so much...who really knows what you are getting. Although, I have read threads where others have complained about noisy compressors so maybe noise is just inherent to the design (or they also had remans)? Wondering if the Nippon will be quieter?

I checked the hose again for a light grey look at the pinch point and didn't see any. I'll try taking the heat gun to it again for a second shot at fixing it. Good news is the ebay seller gave me my money back and told me to keep the hose so if I trash it trying to fix it no big deal. I also found a shop that makes hoses. If I ruin it attempting repair maybe they can move the fittings from my damaged hose to a new one. If not I'll be the guinea pig for the aftermarket hose.

Comment

When I got my 87 it didn’t have ac so I had to buy everything. Everything is aftermarket except the condensor which was used and the compressor was supposedly nos but looks to be remanufactured. The lines are all 4 seasons brand and the evaporator I think was some other obscure brand. The hoses are good quality but the black paint on the accumulator is cracking and flaking off. Not a big deal but it doesn’t look good. Its been about a year and no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I honestly have no idea. This one was a used freebie. It came from John's car but he's not entirely sure if it was on the Vic or from the Tbird that he got the engine from. I have a reman Motorshaft one on my car but its horribly noisy. Sounds like a dying air raid siren. The old NipponDenso is very quiet. I have an NOS one on the shelf with an E2 part number in case my noisy one finally quits, hopefully its less obnoxious.

All the hoses on my 86 have been replaced, but they're all aftermarket. At this point I couldn't tell you where they came from though, its a bit of this and that.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That’s good the aftermarket hoses are of decent quality and are holding up for you guys. I think I’m gonna give one a try just because it’s quicker and easier. I’ll still keep my damaged one in case I ever need to scavenge a fitting or something.

A dying air raid siren is a perfect description of the noise these things make. I would say mine is a cross between that and the sound of 87GrandMarq’s from his belt alignment issue video.

Time to go hunt down a NOS compressor. Thanks guys!

Comment

I’m just glad the stupid belt stopped jumping off the ac pulley. Knock on wood it doesn’t pop off ever again...

Comment

What did you end up doing to get the belt tracking right?

Also, was the aftermarket liquid line that you got rubber or was it the hard poly plastic?

Comment

Looks more like a braided rubber line. Its definitely not that hard plastic.

Comment

Awesome. I found a NOS compressor on eBay so I ordered that. Time to order the aftermarket hose now.

I did take the damaged one to the local hydraulic hose place today for an estimate...they had the ability to change the hose but it was going to cost double what the aftermarket line sells for.

Comment

Working...
                    X