Firewall Electrical Connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firewall Electrical Connections

As this is for an engine swap I figured it was more appropriate to post here. I'll be converting to full standalone Megasquirt SEFI/COP in the not too distant future (finances willing) and at this point it will be easiest to replace anything related to engine/trans function instead of trying to adapt the factory wiring. My question is this.
    Of the 3 electrical pass throughs on the firewall (brake booster area):
    1 is the EEC-IV connector
    2 of them are grommeted and just pass into the cabin.

I have no problem pulling out everything attached to the EEC-IV connector as it will be replaced by the MS anyway. Are there any wires into that connector that don't actually go to the computer but go to something else, such as gauges?
    And, I am assuming the grommeted connections all go to non powertrain functions like lights, gauges, accessories, etc.

My EVTM is for '86 so the illustrations of the physical harnesses are a bit dodgy.

Basically I am looking to separate out all of the factory powertrain wiring and remove/replace it. But I have no need to rewire all of the accessories. I'm fine with making new automotive harnesses but I want to do it all in one go, not have to keep reopening a nicely wrapped harness.

Thanks!
    1986 Country Squire
    1969 Mercury Cougar
    1960 Land Rover Series II 88"

I've had the entire ECM harness out of my car. The gauge and lighting wiring is not bundled with the stuff that goes to the computer.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That will make this a much cleaner install. I can just pull what few wires I need from the ECM harness and then junk the rest. I'll be putting in dedicated power distribution for the Megasquirt to keep the signals as clean as possible anyway.
      1986 Country Squire
      1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Unplug the ECM connector and just follow it from there. One leg goes forward to the relays, the other heads towards the battery with branches out to the engine. One thing that is tied into the ECM harness on an 86 is the starter circuit though. Forgot about that, but its one wire from a firewall connector to the neutral switch in the trans, and one more from the switch to the relay. Isn't yours an 85? That one doesn't have the start circuit tied in. I've pulled a CFI harness out of an 85, it also comes out in one big chunk.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for the tip on the starter stuff. I'll be putting in a custom trans harness as well (4R70W going in with the stroker). Mine is an '86, not an '85.
          Trans controller plan is a Microsquirt so I can CANBUS it in with the Megasquirt 3 ECU and eliminate some redundant wiring while also gaining better data logging and a couple functions.
          1986 Country Squire
          1969 Mercury Cougar

Comment

Working...
          X