86 CV stalling when under load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

86 CV stalling when under load

When getting the 86 Crown Vic out of the garage during the first really nice weather last week, an annoying issue cropped up.

It starts and idles fine, but as soon as it's under load (shift into drive) it stalls (or very nearly stalls).

When applying a bit of gas, it surges then is fine so long as it's being driven, but then nearly stall again once stopped and no gas is applied.

I thought it was a MAF sensor issue (as I had a very similar issue with the 99 MGM and my 03 Town Car and a quick cleaning temporarily fixed the issue until I just replaced the sensor), but these don't seem to have a MAF sensor. Or am I wrong and it's just somewhere weird (in the throttle body etc...).

Any other thoughts?

Thanks.
    sigpic

No MAF sensor, but there is a MAP sensor that might be worth investigating. It's located on the firewall behind the passenger side of the upper intake. I assume that it's in the same place on '86, otherwise it might be on the passenger fender like some of the older models.

Make sure the vacuum line to the MAP sensor is good. Unplug the sensor and if nothing changes the sensor may not be working.

http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page10.html
    http://www.grandmarq.net/oldfuelinjection/page4.html

Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It is there on an 86 in the same location but on a different bracket that orients it differently.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

sounds more like a sticky IAC to me. Tubular thing on the back side of the throttle body. Pull and clean it. Its the idle air controller. If that doesn't move, the idle doesn't adjust correctly.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree with MAP and IAC, but I also suggest a visual inspection around the intake manifold area for broken or damaged vacuum lines (or evidence that mice may have snacked on them). A bad vacuum line can cause the appearance of a bad MAP sensor, even if the leak is somewhere else. If the vacuum lines all look good and there's no evidence of a vacuum leak (especially check the lines and connectors in the fender area by the EGR solenoids) then check the IAC and make sure the wiring/plug connected to it are in good shape; then clean it as mentioned above, and if those don't fix it start looking at IAC, plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and TFI module in that order. With a car this old (mine is also an '86) it's not wise to assume anything is good or bad until you've put your fingers on it at least once.

Comment

Thanks for the tips.

I'll check those few things later today or this weekend
            sigpic

Comment

The IAC was pretty dirty, with a bunch of soot/carbon coming out when I hit it with some MAF sensor cleaner. Put it all back together and it seems to be a lot better.

I'm going to take it for a spin when it stops raining to see, but a few shifts and rd vs in the garage seemed to indicate the issue is resolved.
              sigpic

Comment

The car now drives great. Just like new.

Thank you for the advise and tips.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X