Transmission Cooler Mounting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does a box tow package/police package auxiliary transmission cooler mount? Was there a special bracket? I’m wanting to install an aftermarket one when I do my radiator swap. I’d like to duplicate the way the factory mounted them. I don’t want to use the zip tie thingies that poke through the fins.

Pictures would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The police trans cooler have factory brackets for the cooler. I would not just buy the brackets. Buy the whole package from a wrecking yard. Made to fit the cooler. Nice package.
    I might be able to get pictures of the 90 tomorrow. the 96 is still put away for the winter. Maybe I can get pictures.

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post757236

Some poor pics there. Probably find more if you search my thread for a couple days.

Off memory it had three mounting points and it is not as simple as you may believe. Power steering cooler is in the mix of it as well.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'm going to use this Click image for larger version

Name:	Trans cooler.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1286896 on Sherrie.
        Derale 13224 Mounted low across in front of the radiator. I used this on my Merc and it was simple AND well made.
        I'll have fittings TIG welded on the ends and run steel lines this time.
        Perma-cool and Setrab make something similar.
        All FORD All The Time

Comment

Thanks guys! Those pictures did help. I was able to zoom in and see how they mounted it.

I’ve been keeping my eyes out for a junkyard one. I’m constantly searching inventory of local yards online but unfortunately most of the boxes up here (northern Illinois) have long since been scrapped. I think I’ve seen 6 come through the yards in the last two years none of which had the tow package. It might be time for a trip to the desert Southwest to search yards. Maybe if I take a vacation later this year that’s what I’ll do.

Derale does have very well made coolers. I didn’t know they had a low profile one line that. I was looking at model 13612. It’s a 9 row with threaded inlet/outlet so I could put some nice -6 AN fittings on it.

If my junkyard search comes up empty or I get impatient maybe I’ll have someone fabricate me a mount for the derale that attaches kind of like the tow package one.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2391.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	1286913

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by matth825; 04-30-2020, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I should mention that the tranny cooler is mounted on the driver side behind the power steering cooler. The engine oil cooler is the one on the passengers side.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
            X