Highter speed speedometer for 90 GM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Highter speed speedometer for 90 GM

Actually my wife asked. IS there a higher speed speedometer available for our new 90 Grand Marquis. Anyone know if a similar year Crown vic would fit?

Thanks
    Tim
    2000 Ford Crown Victoria
    84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
    85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
    89 Lincoln town car: RIP
    89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
    1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
    1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
    2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

90-91 Crown Vic Police Car would give to you 140mph in the speedo. It should be a direct fit for a 90 GM. The speedo background color is black instead of silver but functionally the same.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Yes, I have one in The Scab ('91 MGM). Direct swap. '90-'91 CV only since the CV cluster changed in '90 then changed again in '92.

If you're up for a challenge, I have a '98-'02 P71 cluster in The Ice Car. The wiring is nowhere near a direct swap. I never got around to swapping the backwards oil pressure sender and physical fitment is not great. I modified the bezel by removing the whole section above the cluster.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I have had mine out a few times to replace bad parts. I just finished replacing the old 140mph with a nos 140. Easy swap. Problem is finding a good used one or a nos part. I have a bunch of used pieces. I do not know If you have to change anything at the transmission, as there is not a speedometer cable AT the speedometer head like the old models. Just plug in snap connections. The gas gauge and temperature gauge just plugs in. As mentioned the face plates will be a different color. All of my old units were off on speed calibrations. Some as much as 10 mph. Hopefully my new one will be accurate. I bring my GPS along as it tells me my speed as well as those speed trailers on the side of the road.

Comment

Direct swap, nothing needs to be changed. The '90+ speedometers in panthers all read the VSS electronically. (Unlike Mustangs which were mechanical until '94.) The '90+ VSS is actually identical to the '89- VSS, but with a removable plastic plug to block the mechanical cable port. Removing that plastic plug allows you to use a '90+ VSS in an '89- panther.

The 85MPH and the 140MPH speedometers both measure the same VSS output and report the same measurements. Basically the VSS has no idea what speedo is at the other end. If your old 140MPH unit was off and the new unit is also off, I would look at the gear on the VSS to make sure it has the right number of teeth. If that is correct for your rear gear ratio, and the rear gear ratio is stock for that car, I would make sure the correct tire size is on the car. If that's all good my next question would be if the trans is original to the car. If not, the number of teeth on the trans output shaft might not be right for the car.

Is suppose there is a chance the unit is not calibrated properly, but I've never seen or heard of that happening.
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I was wondering about the gear on the VSS. I understand the gears come in different colors for different number of teeth. My car's tires may have affected it. The newer ones are the same size but look different. Trans and gear ratio have not been changed. When I repainted the needle, on one replacement speedo, the speed was off for sure. Did not think that would happen but it did.
            Police speedometers have to be calibrated to different standards. They have to be accurate at different speeds with very little error. That is why they have the designation "calibrated" on the speedometer. There are more legal reasons which I won't get into.
            Unlike civilian models which have a wider margin of error at a variety of speeds.

Comment

Shouldn't need to swap the VSS gear unless you put some super weird tire size on that's much taller/shorter than stock or swap rear gears.

I've got a '90 police cluster in my '97. Had to reset it one time because the original stepper motor for the needle started sticking. Swapped a stepper motor from a '94 GMQ cluster to the police board, got up to 60 MPH with a GPS, and stabbed the needle correctly (definitely do that on a open, empty road). It was accurate prior to having to swap the stepper motor, but a sticking one does no favors.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

I would liked to have seen you stick the needle at 60. Driving with your knees, one eye on the road, the other on the needle.
                Can't see anything that might go wrong. As you say, empty road helps.

Comment

Corners give me +/- 5mph on a 140 speedometer depending on left or right turns. Otherwise it’s spot on. It was that or +5-10mph at 75 MPH on bumpy parts of the interstate on the old 85 unit. Around town. I really prefer the 85. But if you are on a 65+ road frequently, the 140 is the winner.
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Drove the car today. From 0-20 mph when the vehicle has initially started up. The needle does not move. From then on perfect. Same thing at the next start up. Seems like a delay in a sensor reading. Unless it is an easy fix, I am not pulling the speedometer again. If it will not damage anything by leaving it alone, I am leaving it alone. It is perfect for its age as far as I am concerned. Speed accuracy is right on once the needle moves.

Comment

Being in Wide open Wyoming. Our 2 lanes are 70 and the Intestate is up to 80. so yeah a 140 would be beneficial. I have a 140 for the 85 Two door.

T
                      2000 Ford Crown Victoria
                      84 Lincoln Town car signature, R.I.P
                      85 Ford LTD Crown Victoria 2 door performance project
                      89 Lincoln town car: RIP
                      89 Crown Victoria LX 2002 USACi sound quality world champion RIP
                      1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS
                      1994 Mercury Grand Marquis (sold)
                      2004 Mercury Marauder. owned for a week then got screwed by the dealer

Comment

Working...
                      X