Dew wipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dew wipes

So i plan on replacing my dew wipes soon on my car (no vent windows) and i just wanted to make sure everything i have listed to use is correct:
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/fa...per+seal,12406
    https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B07S8G...IWUNBVO6&psc=1

Also if you guys have any tips on this project let me know, thanks

Looks correct. May have to grind down the hardware afterwards if it is too long as it will scratch your glass.

You can also carefully remove the staples (they have to be removed anyway) and reuse them on the new dew wipes if you wish. I went the hardware route like you seem to be leaning towards.

Door panels have to be removed and make sure you find all the screws for the dew wipe trim before attempting to pull it off. I found mirrors need to be removed as well to enable removal of the dew wipe trim.

Also mark your trim where the material starts and tops before you remove it so you can get it back in the correct spot.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Vote "no" on recycling the staples. Having done it, I can tell you its miserable and annoying.

https://www.rubbertherightway.com/cl...ueryId=2942175

is the proper staple, brandy new, no rust, no broken legs. Vise grips get them mostly closed, then a hammer+punch with a block of wood on the back side to get them fully tight works for me.

The ones on my white Mark VII are pop-riveted by the previous owner.

You'll also want the clips that secure the trim to the door. They also don't recycle very well. The ears break off. They were not installed on the Mark VII and the aluminum trim bits sit screwy. I was able to salvage a couple off the old Continental wipes and transfer 2 to the Mark. Not sure where you get those clips. They exist if you get pre-made dew wipes but I'm not having a lot of luck turning up the clips by themselves just now.

if you do manage to get the ears to bend up and not break, heat them red with a torch and they will bend back down nicely. The clips are spring temper and brittle. Don't heat the whole thing or it will go soft, just get the ears hot.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
      X