PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 02 MGM Help needed

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

also just possible the arm got bent when it was put in. Easy to do.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I’m 2 days post replacing the crank sensor and so far about 25 miles of surface roads without a hint of trouble. The wife thinks it’s repaired. I am more suspicious and it’s going to take a month to get my trust back. Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to take most advice given and learn from it.

Iím 2 days post replacing the crank sensor and so far about 25 miles of surface roads without a hint of trouble. The wife thinks itís repaired. I am more suspicious and itís going to take a month to get my trust back. Thanks for all the replies. Iím going to take most advice given and learn from it.

Here's hoping that was it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Quote Originally Posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

+1. It would be nice if you let us know either way. Considering how much shops charge just to check the computer, I would recommend that all knowledgeable people fit a good (and reasonably-priced) scanner into their budgets. Mine has certainly paid for itself.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

I’ve racked up about 150 miles on surface roads. Mostly stop and go and under 40 mph. It’s not acted up yet. I still don’t think I got away that cheap and easy. Any trouble out of it and I’ll be right back to this thread.

Well that didn’t take long. Wife was out today and it threw a code finally. I took it to autozone right away and scanned it.
    The code is P0430. Catalyst System Efficiency bank 2 below threshold. It also gives symptoms that make sense out of my original complaint. Giving it gas and it didn’t want to take it but it recovered at idle. Looks like I’m going to be repairing root cause after all. Jump in with tips on removing if you have them. Bolts look rusty. Also! If I may: what side is bank 2 ?

I want to say bank 2 is driver side because cylinder 1 is passenger side... but I may be wrong. As for the bolts... soak them with penetrating lube. Let it sit a while... soak again... repeat. And watch this video that a mechanic just posted on exhaust bolts to get a good understanding about rusty bolt removal. You may need a torch. Mind the nearby insulation and wires and always point away from them if at all possible. As a check, try palm smacking the cats and see if you hear chunks rattling around or if it just sounds packed. You may be able to backflow wash it out to clear it up. Buddy of mine rigged an old dishwasher to do this, but that was a straight cat, not a 2-section bent one, and would fit inside the dishwasher.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

No mean-spiritedness here. IPreferDIY's Avatar

The stuff I just looked at indicates bank 2 is indeed the driver's side.

Could it be a sensor issue rather than the cat? Something that might be common on these cars is the flanges rotting after the cats. When that started happening to me (before I got a scanner), I resorted to a shop, and they gouged me with a rear O2 sensor replacement without noting the exhaust leak from rotting flanges.

Edit: I guess the noise noted in the subsequent post is fairly definitive, but I suppose the above might be useful for others.
    Last edited by IPreferDIY; 05-14-2020 at 03:44 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box "tuba" (in place of the "trumpet"), headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, NKL4 PCM (from a 2000 CVPI, nothing great there apart from highway cruising), KYB Gas-A-Just shocks (after >202,000 km on originals)

Funny you said palm smack the cats. I did that this morning and the left cat sounds like it has marbles in it. I ordered that cat “eastern 30315”. Not too expensive $140. Based on the code I think I’m going to attempt reusing the O2’s if I can get them out. Thanks for the video. I’ll watch it. I also spent an hour online and confirmed bank 2 is the drivers or left side.

Thanks for the link. Helpful video. I did break one rear flange bolt and damage one stud nut but the cat is out. New rear nuts and bolts as well as both stud nuts. Is there a torque value for the stud nuts? The cat had some loose stuff in it. Here is a piece of the honeycomb that fell out. Thereís more loose inside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A4F06DC2-D806-4B90-9951-C01B456E0271.png  

oh yeah... that cat was dead. As for a torque value... I've never checked. Always just rammed it home with my 120v 1/2 impact (does about 85-100 ft-lbs). I figure tight is good.

Thanks!! The new cat bolted right in. The car is very quiet and the check engine is out. Did maybe 30 miles around town and it feels right. I looked the old cat over. The front cat has a large honey come in it and it’s loose and moving around as well as pieces that came out. If the car acts up again I’ll come back to this thread. If it doesn’t I’ll post that in a month or so. FYI. These cars are fairly easy to work on and nothing is too expensive. I’m still very happy with it.

Still having an intermittent issue. Ran perfect for the last 2 weeks and I really thought I got it. Tonight it did the same thing. The motor didn’t respond to the gas pedal. It stayed running with with my foot off the gas pedal but bogged if I attempted to give it any and cleared up in less than a minute. No code. I am not stressing over it but it would be nice if it would just fail. I’m not doing anything until it fails or I get another code. I did reuse both O2 sensors. The next code if any will be interesting

Been about a month. The batt light came on and stayed on. I put a new alternator in it and that solved it. I’m replacing the regulator on the oem It’s a cheap fix and a future spare. Cars been running well for the past few weeks. I did get a new fuel pump and plan on proactively replacing it in the next few weeks. Still don’t trust the car but it’s getting better.

Once you get all the niggles fixed, it should be very reliable. Another thing to make sure about with the alternator is that the surface on the engine is clean where the bottom of the alternator bolts to it as that's the ground contact (case grounded) for the alternator.

I hope so, new so far.

All 4 shocks and springs
    Rotors and pads all 4
    4 new Tires
    Intake manifold, coils,plugs,air filter, pcv? and belt
    A/C clutch and blend door motor
    Pitman arm, idler arm and alignment
    Trans filter and fluid flush and fill,differential fluid, and coolant flush and fill with thermostat
    Alternator, batt terminals, LED headlights
    Left catalytic converter and right front fender well
    Crank position sensor

I’m sure I left something off the list but you get the idea. I plan on putting another 100k on it. I’ve got to much invested to not finish. It helps that I like the car.

Liking a car definitely helps.

It’s been over a month and I’ve had no trouble. The cat may have been it. It did have 1 episode post the cat replacement but it cleared up and hasn’t been back. I am still being nickel and dimed but it’s not really bothering me. Put a new regulator in the old alt and it’s fine. Just had the AC serviced. It wasn’t getting as cold as it did. They said they added a lb. of 134a and that I had a leak at the compressor case seal. I didn’t go for their 600 bucks to replace it. I don’t see any indication that there is a leak there. If I need to charge it once and a while I will or just replace it myself for 150. The shop did say they would evacuate the system for me before I replace it and charge it back up when I’m done. We shall see.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12