No announcement yet.

02 MGM Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the link. Helpful video. I did break one rear flange bolt and damage one stud nut but the cat is out. New rear nuts and bolts as well as both stud nuts. Is there a torque value for the stud nuts? The cat had some loose stuff in it. Here is a piece of the honeycomb that fell out. There’s more loose inside
    Attached Files

Comment

oh yeah... that cat was dead. As for a torque value... I've never checked. Always just rammed it home with my 120v 1/2 impact (does about 85-100 ft-lbs). I figure tight is good.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks!! The new cat bolted right in. The car is very quiet and the check engine is out. Did maybe 30 miles around town and it feels right. I looked the old cat over. The front cat has a large honey come in it and it’s loose and moving around as well as pieces that came out. If the car acts up again I’ll come back to this thread. If it doesn’t I’ll post that in a month or so. FYI. These cars are fairly easy to work on and nothing is too expensive. I’m still very happy with it.

Comment

Still having an intermittent issue. Ran perfect for the last 2 weeks and I really thought I got it. Tonight it did the same thing. The motor didn’t respond to the gas pedal. It stayed running with with my foot off the gas pedal but bogged if I attempted to give it any and cleared up in less than a minute. No code. I am not stressing over it but it would be nice if it would just fail. I’m not doing anything until it fails or I get another code. I did reuse both O2 sensors. The next code if any will be interesting

Comment

Been about a month. The batt light came on and stayed on. I put a new alternator in it and that solved it. I’m replacing the regulator on the oem It’s a cheap fix and a future spare. Cars been running well for the past few weeks. I did get a new fuel pump and plan on proactively replacing it in the next few weeks. Still don’t trust the car but it’s getting better.

Comment

Once you get all the niggles fixed, it should be very reliable. Another thing to make sure about with the alternator is that the surface on the engine is clean where the bottom of the alternator bolts to it as that's the ground contact (case grounded) for the alternator.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I hope so, new so far.

All 4 shocks and springs
                Rotors and pads all 4
                4 new Tires
                Intake manifold, coils,plugs,air filter, pcv? and belt
                A/C clutch and blend door motor
                Pitman arm, idler arm and alignment
                Trans filter and fluid flush and fill,differential fluid, and coolant flush and fill with thermostat
                Alternator, batt terminals, LED headlights
                Left catalytic converter and right front fender well
                Crank position sensor

I’m sure I left something off the list but you get the idea. I plan on putting another 100k on it. I’ve got to much invested to not finish. It helps that I like the car.

Comment

Liking a car definitely helps.

Comment

It’s been over a month and I’ve had no trouble. The cat may have been it. It did have 1 episode post the cat replacement but it cleared up and hasn’t been back. I am still being nickel and dimed but it’s not really bothering me. Put a new regulator in the old alt and it’s fine. Just had the AC serviced. It wasn’t getting as cold as it did. They said they added a lb. of 134a and that I had a leak at the compressor case seal. I didn’t go for their 600 bucks to replace it. I don’t see any indication that there is a leak there. If I need to charge it once and a while I will or just replace it myself for 150. The shop did say they would evacuate the system for me before I replace it and charge it back up when I’m done. We shall see.

Comment

The cat was it. The car seems to be running fine for the past few months. Finally no repairs. Guess I’m all caught up.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                        X