No announcement yet.

02 MGM Help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If the fuel filter hasn't been recently changed... might be something to think about too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Hopefully that crank position sensor was the ticket. If you do end up deciding to do the fuel pump, I'm with sly on trying fuel filter first. Cheaper and easier and if it's not the problem, no big deal. Fuel pump can be a pain, and if it's not the problem that's more time and money you might wish you had back (may depend on your budget how you feel about it).

As far as I am aware the fuel pump setup on a 2002 is basically the same as on a 1991. When I replaced the fuel pump and hanger assembly on one of mine back in Nov-Dec I did it without dropping the tank.

First problem I ran into was the quick connects not wanting to come undone due to rust. I ended up trashing those ends and had to replace them. The replacements that I got from the Junk Yard came off no problem, so if your lines aren't rusty you may not have this issue.

Second problem was getting the replacement hanger assembly to seal against the tank. Eventually we used some Permatex MotoSeal on the O-ring gasket, but thinking about it afterward, perhaps lubing the O-ring was causing it to slip out to the edge. Un-lubed maybe the thing would have bit and not slipped. I was only looking to get a few more months out of that car though.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Thanks for the tips. Oem filter done in November. I use Costco for gas. Only 2 year olds station. My other Cars are fine I almost want to replace the pump. My fuel gauge reads 7/8 for full and when low fuel comes on it only takes 15 gallons.

Comment

Oh, the fuel level sending unit is on the same hanger assembly as the pump. A new pump and hanger assembly will come with the a new sending unit on it.

I suppose if the hanger assembly is clocked wrong (if someone else replaced it in the past) it could cause the reading to be off. If that's the case mark top dead center of the face of the hanger then line that up with top dead center of the hole in the tank.

Also note the orientation of the old hanger before you touch it if you are curious to know if the old one was hanging straight up and down. If it was, there may be a resistance discrepancy on the old sending unit (corrosion or something).

If the new one does the same, there might be a resistance issue between the tank and the cluster (most likely corrosion again, but there are other possibilities).
          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
            Oh, the fuel level sending unit is on the same hanger assembly as the pump. A new pump and hanger assembly will come with the a new sending unit on it.

I suppose if the hanger assembly is clocked wrong (if someone else replaced it in the past) it could cause the reading to be off. If that's the case mark top dead center of the face of the hanger then line that up with top dead center of the hole in the tank.

Also note the orientation of the old hanger before you touch it if you are curious to know if the old one was hanging straight up and down. If it was, there may be a resistance discrepancy on the old sending unit (corrosion or something).

If the new one does the same, there might be a resistance issue between the tank and the cluster (most likely corrosion again, but there are other possibilities).
            The moron that did the fuel pump/sending unit and fuel module in my 2003 TC and then double charged what a normal shop would have dicked up the sending unit somehow. When the pump would kick off it barely read past 3/4, filling it up until fuel ran out the fill almost got it to full. Somewhere on here I read or was told that some non OEM sending units don't read right.
            2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

also just possible the arm got bent when it was put in. Easy to do.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I’m 2 days post replacing the crank sensor and so far about 25 miles of surface roads without a hint of trouble. The wife thinks it’s repaired. I am more suspicious and it’s going to take a month to get my trust back. Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to take most advice given and learn from it.

Comment

I’m 2 days post replacing the crank sensor and so far about 25 miles of surface roads without a hint of trouble. The wife thinks it’s repaired. I am more suspicious and it’s going to take a month to get my trust back. Thanks for all the replies. I’m going to take most advice given and learn from it.

Comment

Here's hoping that was it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

+1. It would be nice if you let us know either way. Considering how much shops charge just to check the computer, I would recommend that all knowledgeable people fit a good (and reasonably-priced) scanner into their budgets. Mine has certainly paid for itself.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                      mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I’ve racked up about 150 miles on surface roads. Mostly stop and go and under 40 mph. It’s not acted up yet. I still don’t think I got away that cheap and easy. Any trouble out of it and I’ll be right back to this thread.

Comment

Well that didn’t take long. Wife was out today and it threw a code finally. I took it to autozone right away and scanned it.
                          The code is P0430. Catalyst System Efficiency bank 2 below threshold. It also gives symptoms that make sense out of my original complaint. Giving it gas and it didn’t want to take it but it recovered at idle. Looks like I’m going to be repairing root cause after all. Jump in with tips on removing if you have them. Bolts look rusty. Also! If I may: what side is bank 2 ?

Comment

I want to say bank 2 is driver side because cylinder 1 is passenger side... but I may be wrong. As for the bolts... soak them with penetrating lube. Let it sit a while... soak again... repeat. And watch this video that a mechanic just posted on exhaust bolts to get a good understanding about rusty bolt removal. You may need a torch. Mind the nearby insulation and wires and always point away from them if at all possible. As a check, try palm smacking the cats and see if you hear chunks rattling around or if it just sounds packed. You may be able to backflow wash it out to clear it up. Buddy of mine rigged an old dishwasher to do this, but that was a straight cat, not a 2-section bent one, and would fit inside the dishwasher.

Comment

The stuff I just looked at indicates bank 2 is indeed the driver's side.

Could it be a sensor issue rather than the cat? Something that might be common on these cars is the flanges rotting after the cats. When that started happening to me (before I got a scanner), I resorted to a shop, and they gouged me with a rear O2 sensor replacement without noting the exhaust leak from rotting flanges.

Edit: I guess the noise noted in the subsequent post is fairly definitive, but I suppose the above might be useful for others.
                              Last edited by IPreferDIY; 05-14-2020, 03:44 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Funny you said palm smack the cats. I did that this morning and the left cat sounds like it has marbles in it. I ordered that cat “eastern 30315”. Not too expensive $140. Based on the code I think I’m going to attempt reusing the O2’s if I can get them out. Thanks for the video. I’ll watch it. I also spent an hour online and confirmed bank 2 is the drivers or left side.

Comment

Working...
                                X