Chrome Shifter Knob Replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chrome Shifter Knob Replacement?

Anyone remove one of these before? It seems to just twist and twist. Picked up a new one as the old knob the chrome is peeling. Thanks for any suggestions

Click image for larger version

Name:	F1DFCEE2-8F28-469C-88F4-6E28BF1B8A6F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1305266Click image for larger version

Name:	F1DFCEE2-8F28-469C-88F4-6E28BF1B8A6F.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	2.94 MB
ID:	1305266
    Last edited by Hill185; 05-09-2020, 05:04 PM.

I believe they're pressed on, maybe try using a small cutoff wheel to remove it (be careful) and once all the pieces are completely removed install the new one with a rubber mallet.

Comment

They are pressed on. While twisting pull away from the shaft.....take it as you wish.

I cut my old one off. New one I had to hammer on with a rubber mallet and a rag over the knob. I was worried about breaking the shift arm.

Good luck.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I want to say factory destructions say to heat it to get it apart. Might help to install it though. Probably wouldn't use anything hotter than a hair dryer though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 it's plastic... no torch. Heat gun only on low at at least 6+ inches distance. Just want to get it pliable and not soft.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I would use a dremel tool to cut the old one off. Spray lube the new one with like Silicone lube. Align the knob with the shaft as there are groves on the shaft. (Never tried the hair dryer but it sounds like a good idea ) Cover the new knob with a cloth as to not damage the chrome. Tap the new knob on with a rubber mallet. Do NOT hammer it HARD as you may break the where the shift lever connects inside the assembly, then you will have a problem finding that part. I have done a few.
            Ford did make a black replacement knob instead of the chrome. Those pealed chrome cuts to your hand are nasty.

Comment

Pressed on...my suspicions exactly. Thanks guys. I’ll proceed with caution.

Comment

boiling water shouldn't damage the chrome or plastic.
                2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Originally posted by EaOutlaw1969 View Post
                  boiling water shouldn't damage the chrome or plastic.
                  I haven't replaced one of these so I'm not totally sure; I would be concerned that the chrome and the plastic expand at different rates. At a certain temperature they will delaminate. Also, probably pretty hard to hold when boiling hot. Whether the delamination would happen at boiling I don't know but plastic tends to be less dimensionally stable than metal, so there might be significant stress on the chrome-plastic bond.
                  I'd start with water heated to something in the 140 degree range, maybe with a drop of dish soap to make it slippery. Some ice on the arm might help; if you don't mind taking it off I'd put it in the freezer while the knob sits in a pan of hot water.

Comment

I am sorry I did not elaborate, Boil water turn off heat add shift knob let sit for 2-3 minutes drain off water using oven mitts or similar protection to just push the knob on while the plastic is softened slightly I have just pounded these on in the past with bare hands. I value my hands more now.
                    2007 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport

Comment

Working...
                    X