Fox Body Long Tube Headers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fox Body Long Tube Headers?

I know this has been discussed before; and after looking through the search, I wanted to ask about this in a new thread. What was the issue with fox body long tube headers in the box Panther chassis?

Primary tubes for 1 & 5 hit frame. Same with tri-y mid lengths.

Comment

mid length are a better option. They still need some tweaking but its not nearly as much work to make it go.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yes, the mid-length headers needed a lot of tweaking; as in smooshing primary tube#1 a lot to clear the x-member. Passenger side initially fit without having to do anything; but after a couple of months, the engine settled and primary# 5 now sits on the X-member. Giving some thought to raising the engine a 1/4”.

With that said, I was looking at the Bassani long tubes and the primary# 1 tube looks to run a bit higher than my mid-lengths. And there were some complaints about the headers hanging too low on a fox body. Made me think that what doesn’t work for Fox body’s, might work for our cars. Just a thought. Unfortunately, I already went the route that I did a decade ago when buying my Doug’s Headers at a swap meet.

Comment

Smashing the tube for clearance defeats the point. To make it work right you have to cut and tweak things for clearance. Duceandahalf (sp?) had pics of a set he re-worked for an 85 on here years ago. No smashing, but lots of cutting and tweaking to re-route the tubes as needed.

honestly this is why i stick to boring shorties. They fit.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I still have the BBK shorties off of the lopo in case I have real problems. Ideally, my Dad would have had me yank the engine so he could notch the X-member; then I could have run the mid-lengths without any modifications. We’ll see what happens when I get the CV running

Comment

I'd modify headers long before I messed with structural stuff on the frame.

Comment

My 87 had long tubes when I bought it. If they weren’t crappy I’d give them to you but in the shape they’re in would be an insult lol. It can be done but I wouldn’t want to modify them to fit. But thats just me. I’ll stick to my stock exhaust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

This interests me.
                  Neck-Deep in this 347 and the one thing I'd really like to have is headers in lieu of the BBK shorties I'm using..
                  All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    Smashing the tube for clearance defeats the point.
                    Engine masters did a header bash test and the loss was insignificant.
                    Cant find it on youtube, but here it is on another site.
                    https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3vupq0

Cut the collector off some shorties and extend them. lol

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^My engineer said the same thing. We'll see though.^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

I think if I were to attempt to install long tubes on a panther, I would probably try headers from a non-unibody vehicle rather than fox long tubes. I’d love to see if truck headers would need extensive modifications.
                        —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                        1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                        1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                        1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Or something with a X-member.

Comment

Headman Fox-body longtubes are stupid close. Driver side drops right in, just need to tweak the fuel line bracket to get it away from the header. Passenger side can be made to fit, 5.0tussin did it on his Lincoln TC. I will be notching the frame on the passenger side when I do it. With the right tools and some planning, you could probably notch and weld up the frame without even pulling the engine...it’ll be much easier with it out though.
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

BBK long tubes for automatic fox Mustangs hit the frame, steering shaft, and shift linkage on boxes. If you have the money they can be made to fit. Mine have held up alright considering the thousands of miles of hard driving I've subjected Ebyt to. The collector will sit a bit low. Haven't scraped it hopping train tracks but will slightly scrape on very steeply inclined driveways.....
                              '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
                              '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
                              '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Working...
                              X