Box rear disc brake swap info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box rear disc brake swap info?

I know this info is on the forums but I can't seem to find it, I would like to upgrade to rear disc brakes on my 84 Wagon but I can't find the sticky/FAQ/threads on doing this?

I think the Aeros had rear disc that will fit behind the stock 15" turbine wheels. I need to keep everything stock appearing. Can someone point me in the direction of the parts list and "how to" info?

Thanks!
    1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

My 93 MGM has rear discs and it came stock with 15” wheels.

Comment

I have SN-95 Mustang caliper brackets that will bolt to your 8.8 if you are interested not 100% sure if they will work for you. Those Mustangs came with 16 & 17 inch wheels but the rotors are only 10.5" so they may.

Comment

just be aware that the valving is a little different. If you're keeping stock 84 front brakes and using rear disc, you want to dump the 84 prop valve and swap one from an early 90s car. They had the same size front brakes but came with disc. Ditching the stock booster for the 90s one will give a little more braking power too. It will bolt to the firewall and accept the stock master cylinder.

not sure there is a sticky but its been done and discussed a few times. Largely seems to depend what you're after but the rear discs through 97 at least work fine with a 15" wheel. I don't know about later ones.

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...ight=rear+disc

might be of some help. While the rear is apart, now is the time to replace seals, bearings, etc. Or just roll a complete rear from a later model under it, after rebuilding it while it isn't under the car. Late axles are a bit wider.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i just completed this entire swap. fully rebuilt 96 axle into 82 Marquis. id be happy to provide pics if you need them. some minimal fabricating of tabs or brackets may be needed.
          Charlette - Brown 1977 Ford LTD - 351 Windsor 155K, Full Custom Pioneer system, green HID, interior & underbody
          Alesha - Black 1982 Mercury Marquis - 255ci 178K, full custom Kenwood and Infinity system, lowered, dual exhaust, LED all the things
          Tangerine Dream - Orange 1988 F-150 Custom - 300 i6 82k, Ghetto sound system, 5spd, 2WD, #farmtruck

Comment

Thanks guys, I'd be interested to see how much wider the later axles are...Right now I could use a little more clearance between my rear tires and the frame. I may also go wider in the future, which some width would also help!

Also - since I'm asking, what's the difference in width, mounting points etc with the late whale 8.8 with the 31 spline axles and posi?
            Last edited by drhill; 05-17-2020, 12:12 AM.
            1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

about an inch and a half wider flange to flange for 91--97. Not a huge change.

After that the mounting system is completely different, won't fit unless you modify things a fair bit.
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whale 8.8, 98+, uses a watts link for centering and almost parallel control arms at the ends instead of the 4-link binding control arms boxes and aeros have.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I won't say its impossible to do, but you'd probably be ahead of the game to swap the frame vs trying to modify the original frame. At that point you could do 03+ if you're into rack and peanut steering.

Comment

Working...
                  X