Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

['02 MGM LS] Air suspension diagnostics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think the wires are switched, it seems to click the vent open to vent the air springs through its solenoids. It seems it does not want to start pumping air, tho I might be wrong.
    The RAS power relay in the battery junction box is OK - I swapped its place with the horn relay.
    Shorting the RAS power relay base pins gives power to the compressor and it runs. I might have to check the voltage at the harness side connector of the compressor for correct voltage (12 V) and the same connector's ground wire for continuity.
    I can also swap the control module and see what gives. Ditto the height sensor.
    Last edited by SpitShine_PL; 10-03-2020, 11:44 AM.
    '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
    '96 Chrysler Grand Voyager LE 3.3 V6
    "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

Wonder how that wire got partially snipped like that.

Perfect example of how voltage drop tests are better than continuity tests in diagnosing issues.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
        Wonder how that wire got partially snipped like that.

Perfect example of how voltage drop tests are better than continuity tests in diagnosing issues.
        The chafed part of the wiring lives directly behind the fender cowl. The fun part is that there's another HUGE harness below and between the A/C canister and the cabin air fan. Guess what - its tape was chafed and the insulation in the harness had evidence of rub against the outer surface of the fender liner inward side. FoMoCo skimped on tying up those properly, lol. For that latter harness, I wrapped it in gorilla tape (no insulation was worn through) and repeated with a hefty dose of textile tape, as I like things finished neat and robust.
        '00 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, Silver Frost, the "Sharona": runs, drives and currently with mods in progress
        "You obviously have not been introduced to the ASTM Guidance for Profanity Gauging of Technical Services, Addendum#1, American English to Polish Scale Conversion, by which a repair done at a rate of 35 kurwas per 5 minutes means normal performance."

Comment

I've had to repair several harnesses on my Continental. Heat-baked insulation, diesel fuel degraded insulation, and just 35 years of service. Not super fun but not much you can do about it besides try to make it better than it came from the factory.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay...
            THE RAS IS OFFICIALLY WORKING, GENTLEMEN.

There is, of course, one wee itsy bitsy problem.
            The height sensor thinks the car is too high.

I think it has to do with the position of the lower ball stud bracket of the height sensor on the CHE Performance Watts link. Since I just managed to escape from under the car so I was not flooded to death by the downpour that's now lashing at the city, Imma postpone working on the bracket for today.

I reckon that the bracket must be repositioned on the Watts link arm; the geometry of the CHE Performance arm (which is a tubular design, much stiffer than the wimpy-butt OEM stamped sheet piece) is identical with the OEM FoMoCo part. If there are some differences... I can't imagine engineering a suitable mount will be MORE difficult than troubleshooting the air suspension!

Comment

A follow-up with a wee tiny issue here:

I installed two Arnott 2200 heavy-duty air springs with no problem, but there's one funky thing:
              I had three air spring solenoid valves on hand, two Dorman (EW!) and one FoMoCo OEM. One of the Dormans failed to retain the air tube tip in the fitting, so I replaced it with the FoMoCo OEM and installed it in the right-hand air spring.

The car lifts alright, but the left-hand side (the air spring with a Dorman solenoid valve) seems to be 1 inch or so lower than the right one. After 3-4 pump/vent cycles (normal driving, loading stuff in and out, etc.) both sides seemed to come to level, but the left hand side still sits a bit lower than the right one.

I am wondering what might be causing this. Does that Dorman solenoid valve have a lower air flow rate than the FoMoCo OEM one, or is there something funky with the air line between the left-hand air spring and the tee union at which the compressor air line splits towards the air springs?

Comment

Your logic is good but I are the shocks new?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The shocks are Bilstein B6 with less than 1000 miles on them. I heard that I need to force vent the car to rest on low props placed under the frame ahead of the lower control arm forward mounts on a LEVEL surface and start the RAS to work normally to pump. (This was suggested to me by two people who had the same problem after air spring replacement). If this doesn't work, I will be leaning to a difference in air flow rate between the valves.

Comment

THE FINAL UPDATE:

Well, got the fat lady's ass to ride level. Took some tweaking with the wires, I just put up a vertical measure out of a bike pump (you know, the upright one), secured its shaft with a ziptie at the height of the rear right wheel arch, and used that as the reference for the rear left one when venting and pumping the left air spring. Yes, I forced its solenoid valve to open while forcing the compressor to run.

Now the rear suspension height is trimmed perfectly.

Again, thanks for all the help. Love you guys.

Comment

Working...
                    X