Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie greeting - 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS

Hey now!
    Newbie here. Bought a ‘96 MGM LS with less than 75k miles from original owner with entire Lincoln Ford maintenance record. Car was in excellent condition when I bought it, minus the smoke smell from the owner. I’m a big fan of American Sedans, especially the Panther Platform era. I’ll be checking in here daily to catch up on all things to gain a better knowledge of all things Grand Marq. Pictures of my rig are available on my album profile.
    Attached Files

Looks like an HPP. I always had a sweet spot for 95-97 MGM with the HPP option.
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Welcome to the forum. The red looks gorgeous against clean hpps with tire dressing.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Welcome!
        That car looks like it's I'm great shape.

Check the intake to see if it has the plastic coolant crossover (front of the intake). If it does, you'll want to replace the intake before the crossover cracks and leaks.
        My '98 had 63k miles on the odometer when I bought it at the end of February, and it has the original plastic crossover intake. I have the new intake waiting to go on soon before any problems occurr.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Welcome! What a great find.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

License plate frame says West Covina, LA area. (what dealership ?) Your car looks absolutely like new. Great find. Many original one owner cars are still hiding in the LA area. Yes, get the intake replaced if it isn't the updated version asap or it may get you stranded and you know how many people will stop to help you on the freeways. Hopefully you don't commute with it every day.
            Welcome to the forum

Comment

Definitely nice to see another late Aero in Toreador Red. HPPs look good on that car.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                Welcome!
                That car looks like it's I'm great shape.

Check the intake to see if it has the plastic coolant crossover (front of the intake). If it does, you'll want to replace the intake before the crossover cracks and leaks.
                My '98 had 63k miles on the odometer when I bought it at the end of February, and it has the original plastic crossover intake. I have the new intake waiting to go on soon before any problems occurr.

Thanks for the heads up! This is exactly why I joined this site was to learn the little quirks of this beast. I’ll have a look later today at the coolant crossover. Anything else you got, I’m all ears.

Comment

Welcome!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Nice car man. Welcome to this neat-o place.
                    All FORD All The Time

Comment

Originally posted by Blazer View Post
                      Thanks for the heads up! This is exactly why I joined this site was to learn the little quirks of this beast. I’ll have a look later today at the coolant crossover. Anything else you got, I’m all ears.
                      I'm new to the later models. I've been around the late box body panthers for quite some time (20 years daily driving boxes).
                      I haven't replaced one of these intakes yet but have done a lot of research and feel confident that I know what I'm getting into.
                      Here is a video that will give you a decent idea of the problem, at about 20 seconds in:

Some things are backward since the video is on a Mustang, and there are some steps that are different or not in the video since you have a '96.

If you do have that plastic cross over and want to go for replacing it, let us know. We can help get you ready for it. Not sure what your level of DIY is, but if you are comfortable doing the job yourself there is a later style of this intake that offers a performance improvement (called the Performance Improved intake, PI intake). I doubt a shop would touch it since it's not a direct replacement (see 14-16 minute mark of the above video for the biggest problem). I'll be installing a PI intake since I do all my own work an have the tools.

I see you have the automatic temperature control. If it has issues where it only blows out the defrost vents or doesn't seem to blow out of where it should, it needs 4 o-rings replaced. Some great info from sick88tbird: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beSV_jZxR5o Check out my recommendation in that thread on '03+ retrofit for easier serviceability.
                      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Make sure you take it on at least a 20 mile drive(not in stop and go traffic) before a smog check. It has 4 cats if dual exhaust. Got to get those hot before the smog check. Spark plugs are probably original. Put the same type as it came with back in. The back ones are a bear to get to. The small plastic engine cover over the TB if it is still there, mechanics love to break and never tell you they broke it. It has a hold down bolt on the passenger side. There might be a overdrive lock out button on the shifter. Green light on the dash when shifter button is pushed in. I drive mine not in OD at speeds 45 or under. It saves the transmission OD band. If you don't have that button, It might be only on police cars. Keep the leather seats conditioned. If kept outside, the sun will dry the leather. Your car looks garage kept. Check with Ford to see if all recalls have been done. They will need the vin number.

Comment

That's clean! Digi-dash to boot! We had a 95 that had 280k on it when I got rid of it.
                          Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Working...
                          X